Where are geocaches near currently active volcanoes?

Hi folks!

I found Sauron's Ring. I made it a TB: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...6404&page=2

Now someone needs to destroy it. It has to be thrown into the lava of an active, hot volcano. This action should also be videotaped to provide proof of the destruction.

Now I am looking for geocaches near active volcanoes, which can be visited when destroying the evil TB ring. Here is a list of what I've found so far: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...b0-84ddad5986b4

Does anyone know any more geocaches in, on or near currently active volcanoes?

Best wishes

André

I recall looking at red lava on the Big Island in Hawaii, on our way out to where it was flowing to the sea. You could not get that close to the main action -- at least we stuck to the safer areas to watch the flow into the ocean -- but there were spots along the way where you could look down and see the red glow of molten rock. I would think that might do the trick. Volcanoes National Park is a national park, so traditional caches in the immediate area are limited. But there are a few earthcaches.

Edited by mulvaney

I can't view your Bookmark link - It gives me the message "You do not have permission to view this list" - I think you need to make it 'public'.

Problem should be solved.

You may already have these on your list:

Erta Ale volcano

Volcano cache Vesuvio

First was already on the list.

The list has no fire at the moment. Satellite photo shown no lava. Last outbreak too long ago.

I out found last night that I'm going to be going to Costa Rica, most likely in the Spring. Although I'll be there on business, when I showed my wife the email indicating that the proposal I wrote awhile back for an annual travel award one of library benefactors provides, she said, "You're going to Costa Rica? *We're* going to Costa Rica?"...so I've been looking at where we might spend a few vacation days after my business in San Jose. One of the places that my son would really be interested in is the Arenal Volcano (there are actually several other active volcanos in CR). There is an earthcache and a traditional () at the Arenal volcano so, unlike the Erta Ale Volcanoe when I visited Ethiopia I might actually have a reasonable chance to find at least one cache at an active volcano in Costa Rica.

If everything goes as planned, after my visit to Beijing in about 3.5 weeks and a visit to Costa Rico, and if I find caches in both locations I will have found geocaches on five different continents in less than a year.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I'd suggest you throw it into Mount Doom itself. This is also known as Mt Ngauruhoe here in NZ. I'm an alpine climber here and would be happy to do it for you. Although this volcano is not currently active, it does tend to erupt every few years (although I don't think I'd be up to climbing it next time it does - those rocks can go a long way!). There's not currently a geocache up on the summit, although I keep meaning to place one some time.

Speaking of which, another contender would be it's big sister nearby - Ruapehu. This also erupts every few years, but when it's sleeping, it has a lake in the crater which would make a good final destination in the meantime if finding someone crazy enough to throw it in molten lava is going to be a problem. I've got a geocache up there right by the crater (GC1CD9G)

I'd suggest you throw it into Mount Doom itself. This is also known as Mt Ngauruhoe here in NZ. I'm an alpine climber here and would be happy to do it for you.

Already on top of the list.

If you get the TB depends on the cachers who will find it after I drop it.

Speaking of which, another contender would be it's big sister nearby - Ruapehu. This also erupts every few years, but when it's sleeping, it has a lake in the crater which would make a good final destination in the meantime if finding someone crazy enough to throw it in molten lava is going to be a problem. I've got a geocache up there right by the crater (GC1CD9G)

Added, thanks.