Who can help me average some waypoints?

releasethedogs

It's easiest to use a GPSr with a built-in averaging function. But you can also go to the location, save a waypoint and repeat this a few times. (But make sure you wait at least a few hours before saving a new waypoint). Then you can average the coordinates with a program, I'm sure there is one. :P

Edited by Mezgrman

Most hand held GPS units have an averaging function. What GPS do you have?

If you don't have that function it's simple math. Add up all the samples and divide by the number of samples.

N42 44.111

N42 44.333

333+111=444/2=222

N42 44.222 would be the average.

I have found that walking away a hundred feet or so and returning to take another reading several times gives an average coordinate that is within acceptable margins. When I did it this way I'd try to get ten samples.

You can find a great set of coordinates manually. Take a bunch of measurements, from different directions, on different days and times, letting it settle down at the spot each time. Return to the spot several more times, and select the single set of coords which are consistently closest. Those are the ones to use. You might double-check with online maps, or borrowing a friend's GPSr, and compare those readings.

Averaging is the last resort, after you're certain you can't get a reliable reading (in dense forest, for example). If you don't have a GPSr with built-in averaging, take a bunch of readings, throw out the highest and lowest one, and average the rest. You still should check to see that the averaged coords place you generally in the center of the group of collected coords.

You can find a great set of coordinates manually. Take a bunch of measurements, from different directions, on different days and times, letting it settle down at the spot each time. Return to the spot several more times, and select the single set of coords which are consistently closest. Those are the ones to use. You might double-check with online maps, or borrowing a friend's GPSr, and compare those readings.

Averaging is the last resort, after you're certain you can't get a reliable reading (in dense forest, for example). If you don't have a GPSr with built-in averaging, take a bunch of readings, throw out the highest and lowest one, and average the rest. You still should check to see that the averaged coords place you generally in the center of the group of collected coords.

I do hope you are joking. That is way too much work and will not get you closer to accurate coordinates.

OP - The Dakota 10 should be able to average the coordinates for you. I don't know that unit but you should be able to find it in the manual. With my Oregon I just set it to average and put it on the cache site. Done.

See if this page from the Garmin website helps.

Waypoint Averaging

Edit to fix link.

Great link! Some seem to want to make it WAY too complicated!

I simply watch the "accuracy" reading on my GPSr shoot the coords when I get the lowest number, walk away 100 feet or so, walk back and shoot them again. Do this 4 or 5 times max and average the readings. Takes maybe 10 minutes tops on a day with poor reception!

And that's with a lowly Magellan Explorist 500!

Those with the latest and greatest should be able to get accurate coords with even less muss and fuss!

I've never had any complaints about my coords, and many comments that they were right on.

Well, except for the time I was 60miles off! :D I transposed one of the numbers when publishing!

Hey ... no-one's perfect! :P