garmin colarado batteries

SKSJD

We carry several sets of the rechargeable batteries along with us for our Garmin Oregon, especially if we're going to be on the trail and recharge them at home. We also use the car adapter and plug the unit in whenever we're going between caches. While it does not, as has already been said, recharge the batteries in the GPSr, it does prolong the length of time the batteries last by at least 2-3 times or more depending on how long it takes to get to the next cache. Be sure to use an adapter specifically for the Garmin model you have. (Colorados and Oregons can use the same adapter)

I and others love the Eneloop batteries. Reason is they don't lose the charge when they sit around not in use. When I go out I keep 4 extra charged sets with me.

Rarely if ever have used all of them but nice knowing they are there and ready to go. I ordered online but Costco carries them as well (large pack though, I didn't really want that many)

You could get a battery charger that plugs into the cig lighter to charge AA's while you're on road trips.
That's a good idea. Or you can get an inverter, which would allow you to plug in any standard battery charger.

I carry twice as many fully-charged batteries as I think I'll need (and in the car, I have an emergency pack of 12 brand new AAs I bought at a dollar store).

Edited by kunarion

I've noticed on my 500T I left the UBS plugged into the computer last night was at a half charge but when I woke up it has a full charge although i noticed if i went into options there was a battery menu where you can select normal or rechargable batteries, i've only had it for a week though so still learning a lot about it

You should find that the batteries were not charged, but the unit thinks they are.

I have noticed that the oregon or colorado will give false battery levels when plugged into the car or PC, but when you start using the unit outside the levels quickly drop.

With the colorado or oregon always carry 6 batteries just in case, i have often gone for 10 hours of caching/walking on one set then the next set only lasts an hour and then you start to panic.

Best to charge them at home as car chargers can take as long as 16 hours to charge.

I have a 400T and I learned really quick that thay LOVE batteries.

I bought the Energizer 1.2V NIMH batteries that say they last up to 4x longer than most batteries and it makes a big diference. I can run my GPS for days now, where before if I used it all day it would eat up a set of standard batteries (or maybe two sets if I used alot of backlight). I bought a four pack and I keep the two as backup in my bag.

As far as charging in the car, Im sure that it can be done but I have never tried it. It is not a problem now that I have a good set of batteries.

Here's a link

Energizer Recharge Batteries

Hope this helps.

Kris

My Oregon 550 likes to go through batteries too. Especially if I'm taking pictures with it. Then they go FAST.

I carry a backpack with me everywhere I go, and when I started carrying my GPS with me, I added one of these:

maxpedition-volta-001.jpg

filled with 6 charged rechargeable batteries, and 2 of the new, high tech advanced lithium batteries I hear are real cool and last a long time for emergency emergencies.