The battery question

user13371

I personally would love a unit with a rechargeable battery but I have not yet seen one that last for any length of time. I purchased the DeLorme and a full charge would last 20 to 30 minutes. That's not acceptable. In answer to your question, I think 8 to 10 hours would be nice.

Edited by wbtaylor

I personally would love a unit with a rechargeable battery but I have not yet seen one that last for any length of time. I purchased the DeLorme and a full charge would last 20 to 30 minutes. That's not acceptable. In answer to your question, I think 8 to 10 hours would be nice.

:anicute: Here we go again.

Edited by TotemLake
I wish that I knew about "airplane mode." :D Maybe somebody will teach me. :)
I think on your GPS it would be called "indoor mode" -- shutting off the reciver and making it useless for anything but viewing maps.

On many cellphones, "airplane" mode" turns off the cellular radio-- mainly to comply with regulations that cellphones cannot transmit/receive during a flight, but it also saves battery. Makes it useless as a PHONE, but on smartphones other features are left enabled. On many smartphones with WiFi, you can still turn on WiFi while the cellular radio is in "airplane mode."

You're pretty arrogant aren't you? I know about my devices' modes.

Nope...just smart, worldly and beautiful...don't be a hater. :D:D

I didn't realize that you were a hater, TL.

Must be quite subtle at it.

Will you be embarking on a behavior modification program now that it has become public knowledge?

I'm an old dog. Ain't doin' it. :)

You're pretty arrogant aren't you? I know about my devices' modes.

Nope...just smart, worldly and beautiful...don't be a hater. B):D

I didn't realize that you were a hater, TL.

Must be quite subtle at it.

Will you be embarking on a behavior modification program now that it has become public knowledge?

I'm an old dog. Ain't doin' it. :)

Ok, TL, I'll re-interpret the inadequately worded admonition to be one of "don't become a hater" from "don't be a hater anymore." :D

I really didn't think that you were a hater in the first place.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

odd, the eneloops here (also from costco) fit just fine. i just compared them to some other nimh batteries and they're exactly the same size, both in diameter and length.

Same here. I got my first "batch" from Costco and bought 20 more on Amazon. All are the same size and fit everything perfectly in my GPSrs, some remote controls and my weather monitoring station.

I personally like wbtayor's comments because they are so consistent. It is pretty easy to guess the content before reading it.

As for my response to the original question by Lee, the nuisance factor for battery changing kicks in for me at about 5 hours and 33 minutes of field use with AA Alkaline primary or NiMH rechargeable cells.

If I were to use either relatively expensive rechargeable Li-ion battery packs or expensive non-rechargeable Lithium AA primary cells, the cost/benefit/nuisance factor would kick in at about eleven hours and six minutes, which is twice as long, and also about as long as I can stay awake these days. Therefore R.CR-V3 1300 mah @ 3+v li-ion rechargeable cells don't enthuse me all that much.

Wow, I hope you returned that Delorme unit, or the battery pack if you bought it separately. 20-30 min? Definitely something wrong. I have a four year old beat up Nuvi and still get 1.5hrs on a full charge and that thing has been used a LOT.

In an attempt to answer the original question: I would be happy with a unit that lasts for a day of trekking. In my case that would be around 10 hours.

The GPSMAP 62S does just that (and more) with 2700mAh NiMH AAs.

I do carry duracell spares just in case, but so far, the battery life is very close to the claimed 20 hours. :)

- For this GPS it has to run all day, so I use Eneloop long lasting NiMH batts.

Eneloops are great batteries but I do not use them in my 62st or Oregon as I find that I have to force them too much to fit in - they seem to be a bit too big and I am worried they could eventually break or damage the contact plates. The energizers and other brands fit fine.

Does anybody think that they are oversized as well or do I have a bad batch?

No, you do not have a bad batch. I am certain that I have a different batch than you do and those in my batch have a larger diameter than expendables of brands such as Maxell and Energizer.

For some reason, my energizers fit fine but my eneloops do not. I bought them when they were on sale at Costco - got one of those multi packs.

I compared them side by side to energizers rechargeables and they are physically different. The eleloops as was mentioned are fatter, and at least mine are a tiny bit longer with the positive nib sticking out a bit more.

I tried loading my eneloops in the GPS but I am not confortable with the amount of force that is required so I stopped trying.

I am pretty sure that the earlier eneloops were "thicker" than the current ones. The change was made about the time they started advertising 1500 vs 1000 cycles.

I use eneloops or sanyo 2700's in my stuff. My venture is pretty picky, I need to top them off right before I use them, and they go down pretty quick.

My vista hcx is simply amazing! I have left the thing on and in my vehicle overnight and IT WAS STILL RUNNING THE NEXT DAY!!!

Battery life is one reason I am hesitant to upgrade from my vista.

I also have 2 chargers, a maha and lacrosse. I mostly charge my batteries at 500ma or lower (the maha doesn't go lower). You can ruin good batteries with a bad charger.

I got some off brand rechargables in the past that did not fit properly. They also didn't last long in the things that they did fit. I get reputable brands now from thompson distribution, which I learned about from this site.

Not sure if this helps anyone but I thought I would contribute.