Oregon 450 Can't Connect to PC via USB?

MtnHermit

works with the garmin serial and the spanner setting for me. in the spanner setting it will ask you wether to go into mass storage mode or not. however, it can take a while for it to see the USB and connect up. you should see the "garmin/USB/PC" screen on the oregon right away, and then it can take up to half a minute or so for it to actually connect up.

Tried again. A beep from the PC but no connection.

OTOH, connected the CO 300, took 2-min to save the internal GPX data, then it shows as D: Garmin. Basically all three units do the same, but the OR never shows in Win Explorer.

The OR does show the power plug and the display is bright. That says to me it is seeing the 5V of the USB cable. I think I have a faulty unit. :huh:

The OR does show the power plug and the display is bright. That says to me it is seeing the 5V of the USB cable. I think I have a faulty unit. :huh:

if that is all you see, then yes, it's probably a dead connector on the oregon's side (assuming you used the same cable for all of them).

you can try M3#1 of http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous and see if that does anything.

The master reset didn't help. Yes, same cable for all, also the supplied USB cable, same results.

This might help.

Push the on button and KEEP pushing while connecting it to the usb, once connected release the button.

I kept the power button pressed during the entire boot, still no PC connection.

Tried this from M3 #3:

1. Attach the Oregon to your computer via USB cable

2. The Oregon will power on and start to boot, immediately power the unit off while still connected

3. Power on the Oregon and continue to hold down the power button for 30 seconds

4. The Oregon should enter USB mass storage mode

5. From your computer remove or rename any gpx, map files (.img or .kmz) files that were recently added

6. Unplug the Oregon and power on to see if this remedies the problem

I could not make #2 work, could not get it to turn off during the boot. Once the USB cable is plugged in, the power button has no effect.

Thanks for all the ideas, any more? :P

This might help.

Push the on button and KEEP pushing while connecting it to the usb, once connected release the button.

Other than my thumb hurting, still no connection. Pressed the button from before inserting USB until the bright main screen, which showed the power plug icon. No drive letter in Win Explorer.

Bummer, but thanks.

Light at the end of the tunnel. :huh:

Dug out the laptop, using the supplied USB cable, plugged in the OR 450, instant USB message from Win XP and the OR 450 shows up in Win Explorer, able to see the folders under Garmin.

So now I need suggestions to get desktop which will talk to the CO, Nuvi, eTrex, to talk to the OR. Perhaps the Garmin USB driver???

BTW, the Colo also shows on the lappie.

Even more light!!!

Something to do with the PC's front panel USB header. Connecting either USB cable to a MB USB connector on the back solves the problem. My guess is either cable crosstalk or a timing issue which allows the other three to connect but not the OR using one of the front USB connectors. Who'd thunk!?!?!

Thanks for all the suggestion. :huh:

I have had a intermittent similar problem. USB powers up the 450, but it does not connect to the computer. When it happens, I have let it go ahead and complete the start up powered by the USB port. Then using the power switch shut off the unit. Unplug the USB cable and plug it back in with a little wiggle action (the cord, not me. Ha!) Most of the time it then connects to the computer as another drive. Sometimes this has to be done a couple of times. I have always attributed it to a possible flaky USB port on my laptop. Who knows, but it does become annoying sometimes. Hope there is a GOOD solution found.