Duck Tape

linuxxpert

I am working on a new cache and my original plan was to paint it but then I thought about using duck tape. I have used duck tape before but only on "hidden" containers. This one is going to be in full view and out in the elements with sun, hot temperatures, freezing temperatures and rain.

I like to know how your experience has been with the durability of duck tape on caches that are out in the weather and sun.

The tape that I am using is the "duckbrand" kind bought at a local walmart printed with camo colors.

Thank you for any feedback!

PS: I know officially its "duct tape" but this brand actually calls it "duck tape".

I'm not a fan of duct tape, for many reasons.

When it is new, it is pretty shiny, to the point of drawing the eye directly to it.

When left in direct sunlight, the colors fade, reducing the effectiveness of the pattern.

During severe temperature changes, the adhesive fails, and it falls off.

Once it falls off, trace amounts of adhesive leave the exterior icky.

I've found that the cloth camo tape, found in the hunting section, hides caches a lot better than the stuff you are talking about.

The down side to the cloth tape is the adhesive sux. Adding your own glue can remedy this.

It lasts for a long time. As long as it isn't holding the cache in place and just attached as camo. It shouldn't fall off for quite some time. The duck brand is probably the cheapest duct tape out there though and its durability is kinda lacking. I have picked up a nice brown and dark green color from a local outlet store that has been working great in the elements for over a year now with no signs of failing. I see you are in PA, if you have a local Ollie's bargain outlet see what they have by way of colors for duct tape it will last much longer than duck brand duct tape since they are mostly industrial brands. Some of the rolls are not that shiny either.

I've seen duct tape stand several years in the wild quite well. I've also seen it fade and fall off. I guess it depends on the quality of the tape.

I've found that painting is much easier and usually don't bother with duct tape anymore.

I've used the Duck Tape brand found in WalMart and found it to be one of the ones that stand up to the weather quite well.

I've never tried taping a duck, so I don't know. Though I do give bonus points to the people who copyrighted "Duck Tape"!
You went and made do a Google!! Found a gem, though! Interestingly enough, "duck tape" (a tape made out of cotton duck) may well have existed before "duct tape" (a tape made for sealing duct work)! Full story here

I've used the Duck Tape brand found in WalMart and found it to be one of the ones that stand up to the weather quite well.

Duck tape failed to hold the back window of my broken Miata top after 2 hours in the winter. The adhesive is quite crappy compared to the industrial brands that held the back window for almost a week without failing. It is cheaper and better quality and can be found at Ollie's is you live on the east coast. I tried many brands and the no named brands found at the outlet stores were far superior in holding power than anything bought at Lowe's or Walmart.

Real duct tape has the ability to rip hair off your arm, now that is holding power.

Duck tape is great and cheap but the adhesive is very lacking especially in the winter.

Not trying to argue but from real life experience and trying different brands, the run of the mill stuff sold at most stores is not very good. It works for most things but I am just mentioning how much better these other brands hold up.

Edited by Druce_n_Eulla

I came across a cache a few weeks ago that was a gallon jar completely wrapped in camo duct tape and had a handle fashioned out of the tape which was used to hang it from a tree. It was fully exposed to the elements and it was disintegrating in a dusty, ugly fashion. It appeared it was only a matter of time before the 'handle' will fail and the entire cache would fall.

Edited by Ecylram

I came across a cache a few weeks ago that was a gallon jar completely wrapped in camo duct tape and had a handle fashioned out of the tape which was used to hang it from a tree. It was fully exposed to the elements and it was disintegrating in a dusty, ugly fashion. It appeared it was only a matter of time before the 'handle' will fail and the entire cache would fall.

I can't comment on the other elements, but the WalMart, cammo Duck tape will disintegrate if left directly in the Southern California sun for a summer. It will last for years if shielded by rocks, tree hollows, etc, but direct sun brings it's life expectancy down to months.

a glass jar? tsk tsk. I hope it was soft ground underneath it.