Newbie wanting to place a cache

PeakFault

Ooops good job I copied and pasted it!

Hi everyone.

Only been Geocaching for 3 weeks but really enjoying it.

As I guess is natural, we are really keen on placing a geocache ourselves. The location we have chosen is the church where me and my wife married and where my daughter was christened.

After researching the church grounds there is no 'traditional' cache there. However there is part of a multi cache that uses the war memorial in the church grounds as one of its waypoints. There is no physical cache there merely an answer to gain a co-ordinate for the final cache in that series.

Will it be okay to put a cache in or near the church grounds even though it is kind of used already?

Hi and welcome to geocaching! You'll find my resource site of use here I think, in particularly the bit about putting caches in or near churches :rolleyes:

The site is designed to help people place caches, it explains the guidelines that are particular to the UK & Ireland and how some of those guidelines came about. Have a look at the Guidelines and Permission pages.

Link under my signature.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

From the point of view of the saturation limits you'll be fine placing a traditional close to a multi stage, where the stage does not comprise a physical container.

That said, you will need to get permission (preferably written) from the church warden or some other person in authority at the church. It is likely the reviewer will want to see proof you have permission.

And a plea based on topics that have been aired in the forums recently:

Please make sure you are going to be in this game for the long term. So many people get caught up in the initial excitement and are desperate to have a cache of their own, then a few weeks or months down the line, other more interesting things (or even work perhaps) get in the way and the novelty wears off. We are then left with a cache with an absent owner which eventually become litter.

I'm not saying you are like that, but do give it some thought, this is a long term thing, and maintenance is part of the commitment you are making - a bit like when you got married there in fact :rolleyes: (Except that's normally only after divorce isn't it, so ignore that.)

You have found 10 traditionals so far. I'm not going to go through them to look at difficulty levels and container types etc, but give it a few more weeks and a few more finds so you are aware of the different types of hides, what containers work and which don't (you'll know them when you have found some full of water).

Think about the method of hiding. Churches can get quite busy with people on Sundays, during weddings etc. So what might look like a sleepy corner on a Tuesday afternoon might be where everyone stands to have their photos taken on a Saturday afternoon.

Is the cache going to be well hidden enough to avoid being muggled?

You will know from your finds which were really well hidden and which you thought in the back of your mind "this isn't going to last long sat here"

And finally, think about why other people are going to want to visit the church and what might they learn from being there.

Obviously the church is significant to you and your family, but let's be honest, that in itself is not going to make it interesting to people who don't know you.

So when you write your cache page, find out something about the church: When was it built? Does it have any rare or unique features? An old sundial perhaps? Something special about the interior? When is it open for people to look round?

Old churches (in fact all churches) usually have something interesting about them, be it about the history of the place, or some important local person buried there, or even a famous newbie cacher getting married there :D

The person who gives you permission should be able to help with that.

Just try and make it so that cachers come and find your cache and are glad they did, for whatever reason.

Not all caches have to be educational or a learning experience, but the ones I enjoy most normally are the ones that tell you something you didn't already know.

Some people don't read the cache pages, they just want a smiley on the map, but your cache could be so much more than that.

We see so many first hides and after we've found it we think "Okay, so, what's so special about that place that we have driven all the way here to find it?".

And sometimes it's been put there by someone so desperate to get their 1st cache online that they choose any old place that's convenient, if not interesting to others.

In many cases these places could be interesting if the CO had just taken a bit of time and done their homework to tell us something about it.

And finally finally, if you need some time to get everything together and permissions in place etc but don't want someone to come and put their own cache there, then generate a basic cache page with the church coordinates on it. Don't tick the 'ready for review' box but save the page.

This effectively 'reserves' your location for you and no one can come along and place a cache within 0.1 miles of it.

It'll keep the spot for you until everything is in place and you are ready to place and publish your first cache.

It's your first one, you want it to be a good one right? So it's worth putting some time and thought into.

Please don't think any of the above is meant in a patronising way, or that I am saying you are about to do something wrong.

You may have it all lined up and it will be a great first hide.

It's just we so many pointless ones, and just before you put one out is a good time to make sure yours isn't one of those.

Good luck with it all and enjoy reading those first logs when they come rolling in. Let's hope they're of the "Great place, thanks for bringing us here and telling us about it" type, rather than the 'tftc' type

All the best

Lovejoy

Edited for a typo and to add: Have just seen Graculus' post and couldn't agree more about looking round his website - it's a wealth of information which everyone should read.

(And yes I am being a creep as we're going to put a new series of 4 caches out in the next few weeks and he is our reviewer - Sshh)

Edited by Lovejoy & Tinker

From the point of view of the saturation limits you'll be fine placing a traditional close to a multi stage, where the stage does not comprise a physical container.

That said, you will need to get permission (preferably written) from the church warden or some other person in authority at the church. It is likely the reviewer will want to see proof you have permission.

And a plea based on topics that have been aired in the forums recently:

Please make sure you are going to be in this game for the long term. So many people get caught up in the initial excitement and are desperate to have a cache of their own, then a few weeks or months down the line, other more interesting things (or even work perhaps) get in the way and the novelty wears off. We are then left with a cache with an absent owner which eventually become litter.

I'm not saying you are like that, but do give it some thought, this is a long term thing, and maintenance is part of the commitment you are making - a bit like when you got married there in fact :rolleyes: (Except that's normally only after divorce isn't it, so ignore that.)

You have found 10 traditionals so far. I'm not going to go through them to look at difficulty levels and container types etc, but give it a few more weeks and a few more finds so you are aware of the different types of hides, what containers work and which don't (you'll know them when you have found some full of water).

Think about the method of hiding. Churches can get quite busy with people on Sundays, during weddings etc. So what might look like a sleepy corner on a Tuesday afternoon might be where everyone stands to have their photos taken on a Saturday afternoon.

Is the cache going to be well hidden enough to avoid being muggled?

You will know from your finds which were really well hidden and which you thought in the back of your mind "this isn't going to last long sat here"

And finally, think about why other people are going to want to visit the church and what might they learn from being there.

Obviously the church is significant to you and your family, but let's be honest, that in itself is not going to make it interesting to people who don't know you.

So when you write your cache page, find out something about the church: When was it built? Does it have any rare or unique features? An old sundial perhaps? Something special about the interior? When is it open for people to look round?

Old churches (in fact all churches) usually have something interesting about them, be it about the history of the place, or some important local person buried there, or even a famous newbie cacher getting married there :D

The person who gives you permission should be able to help with that.

Just try and make it so that cachers come and find your cache and are glad they did, for whatever reason.

Not all caches have to be educational or a learning experience, but the ones I enjoy most normally are the ones that tell you something you didn't already know.

Some people don't read the cache pages, they just want a smiley on the map, but your cache could be so much more than that.

We see so many first hides and after we've found it we think "Okay, so, what's so special about that place that we have driven all the way here to find it?".

And sometimes it's been put there by someone so desperate to get their 1st cache online that they choose any old place that's convenient, if not interesting to others.

In many cases these places could be interesting if the CO had just taken a bit of time and done their homework to tell us something about it.

And finally finally, if you need some time to get everything together and permissions in place etc but don't want someone to come and put their own cache there, then generate a basic cache page with the church coordinates on it. Don't tick the 'ready for review' box but save the page.

This effectively 'reserves' your location for you and no one can come along and place a cache within 0.1 miles of it.

It'll keep the spot for you until everything is in place and you are ready to place and publish your first cache.

It's your first one, you want it to be a good one right? So it's worth putting some time and thought into.

Please don't think any of the above is meant in a patronising way, or that I am saying you are about to do something wrong.

You may have it all lined up and it will be a great first hide.

It's just we so many pointless ones, and just before you put one out is a good time to make sure yours isn't one of those.

Good luck with it all and enjoy reading those first logs when they come rolling in. Let's hope they're of the "Great place, thanks for bringing us here and telling us about it" type, rather than the 'tftc' type

All the best

Lovejoy

Edited for a typo and to add: Have just seen Graculus' post and couldn't agree more about looking round his website - it's a wealth of information which everyone should read.

(And yes I am being a creep as we're going to put a new series of 4 caches out in the next few weeks and he is our reviewer - Sshh)

QFT, good post

QFT, good post

Agreed, everything covered in a kind and friendly manner. :rolleyes:

Edit to ask what does QFT mean?

Oh good, I'm not the only one. I thought I got the "Quite" and "true" but was concerned about speculating too much on the "F" word. :DB)

I like "kind and friendly", no need to be anything else really is there?

I'm glad it came over that way as I know it's easy for the written word to be misinterpreted.

Thanks for the advice/comments.

I wouldn't want to place a cache if I didn't think I would be doing this long term!

Anyway I think getting permission should be okay as the vicar is a family friend.

The church is interesting and not just to me and my family, there is a lot of history there and I want people to go and look at and in the church.

I wouldn't want to place a cache if I didn't think I would be doing this long term!

Anyway I think getting permission should be okay as the vicar is a family friend.

The church is interesting and not just to me and my family, there is a lot of history there and I want people to go and look at and in the church.

Excellent, look forward to reading your first cache page when it's published, although the cache itself is going to be outside my hunting zone.

Good luck and if you need any more help there's plenty of people here willing to assist.

Happy caching

Excellent, look forward to reading your first cache page when it's published, although the cache itself is going to be outside my hunting zone.

Good luck and if you need any more help there's plenty of people here willing to assist.

Happy caching

Thanks, you'll have to arrange a trip to the East Coast sometime!

Thanks, you'll have to arrange a trip to the East Coast sometime!

Don't know if I would be allowed back, might get stopped by immigration after the rather lively two years I spent at college there - mind you, it's been over 20 years now so they may have forgiven me :ph34r:

You never know...

:)

where abouts did you go to college?

:)

where abouts did you go to college?

A bit further North than you actually I think - Middlesbrough. Polytechnic as it was then. It's probably the University of somewhere now.

Ah, many happy times spent wandering the North York moors, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, finding the remotest pubs to avoid lectures.

Indeed it is Teesside University now. I graduated from there only last year!

Please say you are a mature student, or I am going to feel very old!

First year spent in a house in King Edward Square (KES, No.10), evening meals mainly from the Coral Bay on Borough Road(?), pint of bitter 50p in the Union Bar, The Smiths live at the Town Hall, the memories come flooding back :)

Please say you are a mature student, or I am going to feel very old!

First year spent in a house in King Edward Square (KES, No.10), evening meals mainly from the Coral Bay on Borough Road(?), pint of bitter 50p in the Union Bar, The Smiths live at the Town Hall, the memories come flooding back :)

Yes I'm a 'mature' student. I'm planning on going back to do a masters next year as well.

I actually work in Middlesbrough now.

Yes I'm a 'mature' student. I'm planning on going back to do a masters next year as well.

I actually work in Middlesbrough now.

Is it possible to keep studying until retirement these days :):ph34r:

Bet the town has changed a bit since 1984 when I was last there. Probably for the better. And hopefully it's safe to go north of the river during the hours of darkness now.

Seriously though, great place to live and work I should think, everyone very friendly. As indeed they are in Cornwall. Especially now all the northerners have gone back home after their holidays. <kidding>

Don't forget to come back to us if you are not sure about anything while preparing your first hide. But don't ask the question "I have submitted my cache, how long do I have to wait for it to be published" - that one's been done once or twice before :D