Marking a TB as Missing

GAtravelers

It is always possible that a TB has been picked up by someone who is traveling and has not had time to log the pick up yet. I would give it at least a week before contemplating marking a tag or coin as missing.

On the other hand there are some who will pick up tags and never log them out of the cache and never log them into the cache they drop them into (or simply dump them at an event... :ph34r: ). And that is how they play the game - right or wrong... :wub:

CF30

The only people who can mark it as missing is the bug owner, the cache owner while it's sitting in the cache, and Groundspeak.

Try to mention in your cache log that you didn't see the bug. That'll help the owners decide if it need to be moved out.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You can send me the links to the TB's that have been verified as missing, if you get no response from the owners. I can mark them missing. Please send the TB links, and not just the TB name or cache name.

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely do that. It's frustrating when I find a cache with the expectation of finding a TB and see that it is no longer there.

When a TB shows up after it was marked as missing, how do I retreive it and unmark it as missing? my TB (TB2JVF5)is currently not showing up anwhere even though it shows it I moved to my inventory. Also, under "type of log" it only allows me to discover it or write a note.

Secret tracking number removed by moderator, reference number inserted instead.

Edited by Eartha

When a TB shows up after it was marked as missing, how do I retreive it and unmark it as missing? my TB (TB2JVF5)is currently not showing up anwhere even though it shows it I moved to my inventory. Also, under "type of log" it only allows me to discover it or write a note.

Try writing a note in the cache where you intent to drop the TB into and before logging hit the "dropped" button of you TB in your inventory.

Edited by Eartha
To remove secret tracking number

Try writing a note in the cache where you intent to drop the TB into and before logging hit the "dropped" button of you TB in your inventory.

The TB doesn't show up in my inventory... or my collection. I can't "drop" it anywhere

Edited by Eartha
To remove secret tracking number.

This TB has been MIA for years as have its owners: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=0a45863f-492d-44b1-a33f-5d872ad0d7f8

Unfortunately, I didn't read the TB log before I went to this cache for the specific purpose of picking it up (the cache itself, incidentally, had been muggled a couple days prior to my arrival, so...double whammy).

Anyway, to whom do I report this factoid so that the TB is removed from the system's inventory (and, thus, removing that tempting bug icon from the list)?

Thanks!!

--Matt

This TB has been MIA for years as have its owners: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=0a45863f-492d-44b1-a33f-5d872ad0d7f8

Unfortunately, I didn't read the TB log before I went to this cache for the specific purpose of picking it up (the cache itself, incidentally, had been muggled a couple days prior to my arrival, so...double whammy). Left a NM log entry reporting the muggle and the missing TB.

Anyway, to whom do I report this factoid so that the TB is removed from the system's inventory (and, thus, removing that tempting bug icon from the list)?

Thanks!!

--Matt

You can post a note in the cache and on the TB's page that it's missing. People have been doing that for that traveller for years, it seems.

Only the cache owner and/or the traveller owner can remove it from the inventory of the cache by marking it as "missing".

Perhaps Eartha, the moderator here, can mark it missing in this circumstance?

Unfortunately, I didn't read the TB log before I went to this cache for the specific purpose of picking it up (the cache itself, incidentally, had been muggled a couple days prior to my arrival, so...double whammy). Left a NM log entry reporting the muggle and the missing TB.

Thanks!!

--Matt

As well as saying you didn't see the TB (use it's name or TB**** ref number, don't just say 'didn't see TB') in you log on the cache page, it's worthwhile logging a note on the TB's page which may alert the TB owner... An email to the owner is also an option.

Or, if all else fails... See the post by Eartha above.

Thanks!!

--Matt

Before I suggest a bug be marked as missing I like to see at least two confirmations (three is even better) from other cachers that they did not see the bug in the cache. You also need to give it enough time so that it is unlikely that someone just needed to catch-up on their logging.

This bug has been missing for several years with several postings from people reporting it as missing.

Typically I like to notify the bug owner first, providing instructions or how to move it out. If after three weeks or so if I don't get a response I'll contact the cache owner, again providing instructions. Then after another three weeks I'll contact Eartha.

This is how to report a missing trackable.

Let the owner of the Trackable know. Via email, or a note on the TB page. Check the profile to see when they were last active, and wait a bit.

Let the cache owner know about it, in your log, or via email. Active owner? Wait a bit.

No response, let me, or the local reviewer know about it, by sending a link to the missing Trackable.

And of course, wait a little bit, so we can follow through, check past logs, and then mark it missing.

I will look at the one in question here, for you.