Advice

escomag

Hey Everyone,

I need some advice. I have found a location for my first cache. The problem is, its 300 miles from my home, at a freeway viewpoint. I do stop by this location several times a year. I was actually surprised that there was not already a cache there.

Here is the question. Should I just put up a guardrail magnetic thingy, or a larger cache nearby. It's a neat place to stop, has info signs and all. I just don't want to see it muggled.

Thanks

I suggest reading the cache hiding guidelines.I doubt that a cache 300 miles from your home location that you admit to visiting only 3 or 4 times a year is going to be approved. It appears to be a vacation cache to me. Also one of the reasons that there may be no cache there is that one is not allowed. A number of state dot's ban caches in rest stops, I believe.

If the area can support it, larger please. All you have to do a hide the thing well enough that it won't likely be stumbled over. The size doesn't matter when cachers pull the thing out in front of geo-muggles.

I agree with BlueDeuce....larger please. You might want to check with your reviewer before planting it, to be sure you can post it on the geocaching site.

If you are going to hide one that's 300 miles from home, you might want to hide it a bit off of the freeway.

Walk somewhere at least 150 feet away and place something larger.

Don't follow a trail because trail caches are the ones that get muggled first.

The farther away from home that you place a cache, the more secure you should make it.

JMO

If you can prove you routinely visit an area, you can get approval. Having a back-up cacher for support would help as well.

The area appears to be no different than any other area of the interstate, where there are caches. There are no facilities, just a stop and view. I stop by 4 to 5 times a year, regularly. It's at the top of a hill, with a small copse of trees, and a parking lot. A guardrail surrounds most of the area, but people can walk beyond. It's not as heavily traveled as the rest areas. In fact, since it has no facilities, and is a stretch of interstate a long way between more common stops, its rare to see more than one other vehicle, and that usually doesn't stay long. most just drive on by. But it is a nice view, informative, and I feel worthy of a stop. It's a strange spot. You can't even see it as an off ramp on the maps, but you can from the satellite view.

I'll try and submit to a reviewer, and see what they suggest. Maybe the fact that I have, on my own accord, fixed and watch a cache south of there, that appears a bit neglected, will help my placement.

I would rather have one cache, a ways from home, than 25 nearby.

I suggest reading the cache hiding guidelines.I doubt that a cache 300 miles from your home location that you admit to visiting only 3 or 4 times a year is going to be approved. It appears to be a vacation cache to me. Also one of the reasons that there may be no cache there is that one is not allowed. A number of state dot's ban caches in rest stops, I believe.

No, not a vacation cache, although honestly, yes, that is when it would be placed I have read the guidelines and as described the area is in an area that I routinely have cached beyond. I have, and will continue to have numerous finds up and down this corridor, from multiple travel dates. The planned location is between San Diego, and Oregon, where my mother lives(and caches herself)

When I hear "guardrail cache", the image that comes to mind is generally a magnetic key-safe, Altoid tin, or other cheesy container. Of course, that isn't necessarily true, but most of the time, it is. If you are only going to be there every 3 months or so, you'd better make sure the container can hold up, which probably precludes a guardrail cache.

There are no facilities, just a stop and view. I stop by 4 to 5 times a year, regularly. It's at the top of a hill, with a small copse of trees, and a parking lot.

Muggles sometimes have urgent reasons for pulling off the highway, and running into the nearest trees.

Those trees might not smell very good, if you get my drift...

I recall looking for a cache hidden in one of those rest areas with no facilities. It was a open toilet. After about 5 minutes of avoiding "land mines" we turned around and carefully backed out.

No, not a vacation cache, although honestly, yes, that is when it would be placed I have read the guidelines and as described the area is in an area that I routinely have cached beyond. I have, and will continue to have numerous finds up and down this corridor, from multiple travel dates. The planned location is between San Diego, and Oregon, where my mother lives(and caches herself)

The local reviewer is the person who will make the determination whether or not this is considered a vacation cache. 4-5 visits a year might not be enough to satisfy the reviewer. If a problem occurs with the cache just after one of your visits, it could be a couple of month before you can get there again.

Your best bet would be to ask the person who reviews caches in the area if it would be OK, before you go through the trouble of placing it.

There are no facilities, just a stop and view. I stop by 4 to 5 times a year, regularly. It's at the top of a hill, with a small copse of trees, and a parking lot.

Muggles sometimes have urgent reasons for pulling off the highway, and running into the nearest trees.

I recall looking for a cache hidden in one of those rest areas with no facilities. It was a open toilet. After about 5 minutes of avoiding "land mines" we turned around and carefully backed out.

The local reviewer is the person who will make the determination whether or not this is considered a vacation cache. 4-5 visits a year might not be enough to satisfy the reviewer. If a problem occurs with the cache just after one of your visits, it could be a couple of month before you can get there again.

Your best bet would be to ask the person who reviews caches in the area if it would be OK, before you go through the trouble of placing it.

Fine. I will not be attempting this placement. Since I feel that my home area is approaching cache saturation, and I have found no suitable placement, I will remain just a finder, and not a hider

Fine. I will not be attempting this placement. Since I feel that my home area is approaching cache saturation, and I have found no suitable placement, I will remain just a finder, and not a hider

How about hanging a small cache over the side of the guard rail by string or wire?

Ahh- now I know where to hide the fake turd cache container I just ordered! :)

How about hanging a small cache over the side of the guard rail by string or wire?

It seems more a concern of maintenance, and possible Government issues, than how I place the thing. I can certainly come up with a Tupperware that I chuck into the woods.

I'm just curious what makes that particular guardrail so scenic that it just screams for a cache to be placed there? And if it's so scenic why no one who lives closer hasn't placed a cache there.

It doesn't. That's why I am not placing it. It's just a lonely little view point in the middle of nowhere on I-5, in the least stopped area of the state. No one lives nearby, there is no gas, no food, no facilities. Just a hill with a nice view of the California Aqueduct, and some interpretive signs. A small grove of oaks is nearby. Here, I will post the link. http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;zm=18&mt=h You can't even see the off ramps with maps. Only by satellite can you even tell something is there.

Ever seen the Charlie Brown Christmas? The tree Charlie chose is like this rest stop. I really, really relate to that( and yes, for all you flamers, I probably need psychological help, but I can only pay Lucy 5 cents)

I'm just curious what makes that particular guardrail so scenic that it just screams for a cache to be placed there? And if it's so scenic why no one who lives closer hasn't placed a cache there.

It doesn't. That's why I am not placing it. It's just a lonely little view point in the middle of nowhere on I-5, in the least stopped area of the state. No one lives nearby, there is no gas, no food, no facilities. Just a hill with a nice view of the California Aqueduct, and some interpretive signs. A small grove of oaks is nearby. Here, I will post the link. http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;zm=18&mt=h You can't even see the off ramps with maps. Only by satellite can you even tell something is there.

Ever seen the Charlie Brown Christmas? The tree Charlie chose is like this rest stop. I really, really relate to that( and yes, for all you flamers, I probably need psychological help, but I can only pay Lucy 5 cents)

But the burning question is can you see the Turkeys in Turlock from here?

What are the interpretive signs about? The aqueduct? Sounds like between the signs and a bit of online research you could make it an interesting cache. If it needs to be a micro that's fine.

What are the interpretive signs about? The aqueduct? Sounds like between the signs and a bit of online research you could make it an interesting cache. If it needs to be a micro that's fine.

Yes, the aqueduct. But even a micro doesn't address that it might be in a prohibited zone, its 300 miles from my home, and I can only sporadically maintain it.

This will remain my own stopping point for trips north. Maybe someone closer can use my suggestion, but if not, I will still use the area for my own needs(dogs)