Geocaching Community

hollyjbird

I had a TB go missing and it broke my heart. I am new to geocaching and I bought a couple of TB's so I could watch them travel, since I'm broke and can't afford to :laughing: One of my went missing only after being placed once. I contacted five people that have visited it's last know where abouts and they all wrote me back, within one day! One geocacher is even going to stop back and see if its still there after three months. I am very impressed with how nice all the geocachers are.

Best Regards To All

hollyjbird

Sorry to hear about your TB. It happens - a lot. I'd say close to half of my TBs are gone, so it's not a good idea to become to attached to them and never attach a tag to anything that has sentimental value.

But you never know, sometimes they turn up years later. I had one that was missing for 2 years then made an appearance.

Hope you have better luck with your other ones.

You're right about the geocaching community. It is in general a great bunch of people. It is a sport that is entirely dependent on the generosity, honesty and good will of its participants, so it tends to draw more people from the decent pool.

But you never know, sometimes they turn up years later. I had one that was missing for 2 years then made an appearance.
The first TB I picked up sat in my truck for a year or so as I wasn't "into" caching then (I snagged a couple maybe once every 18 months). Then I handed it off to my father, who held onto it for a year as well (I picked it up in '03, he dropped it in '05).

It was still on the move as of last month.

Didn't say I didn't feel guilty about it at the time. I just wasn't that into caching back in '03. It was way too much work to prep for a run, printing paper, manually entering coords in my GPS, etc.

I do try to move things a lot faster now, but it's getting tough with the proliferation of smalls, micros & nanos. When all else fails, both my parents and in-laws live relatively close to TB Hotels (opposite ends of the state) so I'll zip over there & just drop one if I've been holding it too long and I'm in the neighborhood.

I've picked up a few last weekend and feel terrible because none of the caches I have been to this week have been big enough to drop one off. I will make every effort to finding a new home for the TBs that I have (3). I am anxiously awaiting delivery of some TBs that I ordered. I hope they don't go missing.

Also, does anyone know if it is permissable to either start a TB in one of your own caches, or add one that you already have collected somewhere else? I am going to be hiding several of my own caches this weekend and I was curious.

As long as you're keeping the TB moving (which you are) that's fine. There's also nothing wrong with returning to a cache you've previously found to drop a TB (see my note above about revisiting a couple TB hotels). Just log it as a Write Note, drop the TB, and delete your log on the cache (the TB will stay).

I prefer to put TBs in newer caches when I find them as it increases the odds that someone else will be along soon to move them.

Edited by dakboy