gps on phone and roaming

I'm going to canada for the weekend and my phones going to be roaming the whole time. Its one of those fancy new fangled phones that is constently updating your email and facebook stuff. I love this phone for geocaching but I'm afriad using it will charge me roaming fees. I'm new to gps technology and not sure if using your gps while roaming counts the same as calling or texting. Plus that constent data Streaming. Tmobile was not helpful at all so i was hoping someone with previous experience could help me.

Edited by SniperZombies

You're going to have to be very careful. If you have one of those fancy phones that is always using data in the background,it will give you a cardiac arrest when your next bill arrives and you see the data roaming charges. Some GPS phones allow you to turn off the data connection. Just depends if the GPS hardware in your phone can function independently without a data connection. Since you never mentioned the type of phone you have,it may be a good idea to determine what type of GPS system is built into the phone.

Edited by flyjazz

I'm going to canada for the weekend and my phones going to be roaming the whole time. Its one of those fancy new fangled phones that is constently updating your email and facebook stuff. I love this phone for geocaching but I'm afriad using it will charge me roaming fees. I'm new to gps technology and not sure if using your gps while roaming counts the same as calling or texting. Plus that constent data Streaming. Tmobile was not helpful at all so i was hoping someone with previous experience could help me.

Leave it at home.

Really that simple. It is common to have a 1000.00 dollar bill for roaming on the phones when taken out of the country. Just go to your destination and buy a cheap monthly pay as you go phone for your safety. The kind with packaged minute cards.

If you haven't contacted your provider and switched to a Canada plan you will regret it. I did that both times I went up there and the call charges were fine but they told me what the data charges were and it was outrageous. I would suggest that after talking to them and getting the facts you go on your phone and turn off the data connection.