Wherigo

TABjuggler

Seems silly that you can only do these types of caches with special GPS units...

I have no clue regarding cell phone apps, as I don't own one of the fancy ones, but I would like to touch on this part of your question. If you go to the Wherigo forums, you'll see all manner of devices that can run the Wherigo software. Obviously some are pricey, like the Oregon 550T or the high end Nuvis, but some are quite affordable. A Windows based Pocket PC, which can be had used on Ebay for roughly $20, coupled with a bluetooth GPS device, also available on Ebay for about $20, will do the trick.

There are no apps at all that can run them. If you feel it is easy towrite one that does, then have at it and see if Groundspeak will approve it.

What about the one that is linked above your post? I read that entire thread and it doesn't seem to violate any ToS and seems like it works. Am I missing something?

It seems like the app allows you to complete a Wherigo but not "unlock the cartridge".

What is the difference between logging a find on geocaching.com and unlocking a cartridge on Wherigo?

Can I get the final coords to finish a Wherigo without "unlocking the cartridge"?

Hi TABjuggler

On Geocaching.com you log the find of the geocache associated with the cartridge. On Wherigo.com you'd log a "completion" of the cartridge. It isn't necessary to log a completion to log the find. Most Wherigos have far more finds on the cache then completions. Often one person has the gear and a bunch of friends come along.

There's no "stat" at all for the user who unlocks a Wherigo. The cartridge completion numbers go up.

Some Wherigo carts will allow you to download the cart's underlying code if you log a completed cart. This can be handy if you're thinking about building a cart.

If you don't have any field Wherigo equipment, you may still be able to run some of the Wherigos in the emulator to the point of being able to figure out where the actual cache is. This would allow you to make the find, and the Wherigo Icon on Geocaching.com, without quite being the Wherigo experience.

The emulator is part of the Wherigo cart builder. When building a cart, you can run it in the emulator to test it. A few carts are designed such that you can get to the end of them in the emulator - some, not many, will offer coords. Most will direct you to a "zone", an area where the cache is found.

Many carts (my Hidden Treasures for instance) will ask you for some text to continue - they'll ask you a question about something you see on site. If you are on the site, no problem. From the emulator, you'd have no idea what to enter, and will end the emulation there.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

There are no apps at all that can run them. If you feel it is easy towrite one that does, then have at it and see if Groundspeak will approve it.

What about the one that is linked above your post? I read that entire thread and it doesn't seem to violate any ToS and seems like it works. Am I missing something?

It seems like the app allows you to complete a Wherigo but not "unlock the cartridge".

What is the difference between logging a find on geocaching.com and unlocking a cartridge on Wherigo?

Can I get the final coords to finish a Wherigo without "unlocking the cartridge"?

It now says the app has been removed from the market. Maybe it did violate the terms of use? Don't know.

Are there any phone apps that don't break the ToS that you can run Wherigos with?

Seems silly that you can only do these types of caches with special GPS units when it could easily be available for phone applications.

There are cellphone apps which can run Wherigo and do not violate the ToU. I suggest you look in the Wherigo forums.

Edited by sTeamTraen

It now says the app has been removed from the market. Maybe it did violate the terms of use? Don't know.

As of this morning I can still find it in the market. You should find it when you search geocaching. I believe it may depend on what version of Android you are running. I have Android 2.2

I've yet to try it out though. There are only a couple Wherigo caches in my area and I've done them both. When I get some time I may go out and redo one just to try it out on my phone.

Cheers! :)

There are many apps out there that don't have GS approval and only a couple that are "approved". Why would this one have to be approved? It seems that after downloading the cartridge from the website you can use in whatever application you desire.

Are there any phone apps that don't break the ToS that you can run Wherigos with?

Seems silly that you can only do these types of caches with special GPS units when it could easily be available for phone applications.

There are cellphone apps which can run Wherigo and do not violate the ToU. I suggest you look in the Wherigo forums.

Will do.

Thanks for the help everyone. Especially I.K.

There are many apps out there that don't have GS approval and only a couple that are "approved". Why would this one have to be approved? It seems that after downloading the cartridge from the website you can use in whatever application you desire.

I misspoke. I was unaware that they had some for Droid since I have been iPhone/iPod focused -- until I got my Droid. If GS does not object to them then that is great. I have an Oregon but I was thinking I might try the one mentioned on my Droid to see how it works. I am concerned about it possibly breaking the TOU though after reading more detail here, so I would most likely stick to my Oregon. I will check out the Wherigo forums though to see the other ones that were mentioned. If I could Wherigo on the fly on my phone, that would be interesting indeed as much as I travel.

As of this morning I can still find it in the market. You should find it when you search geocaching. I believe it may depend on what version of Android you are running. I have Android 2.2

I looked at a link posted in the topic linked by toz. When I went there it said it was removed. I looked on the market just now and it was there so I downloaded it. There is only one Wherigo in my state. Mine. I'll run my own one through it and see how it does. I'll be walking the puppymonster down that way this weekend anyway.

I looked at a link posted in the topic linked by toz. When I went there it said it was removed. I looked on the market just now and it was there so I downloaded it. There is only one Wherigo in my state. Mine. I'll run my own one through it and see how it does. I'll be walking the puppymonster down that way this weekend anyway.

There is only one in all of Georgia?

Seems silly that you can only do these types of caches with special GPS units...

I have no clue regarding cell phone apps, as I don't own one of the fancy ones, but I would like to touch on this part of your question. If you go to the Wherigo forums, you'll see all manner of devices that can run the Wherigo software. Obviously some are pricey, like the Oregon 550T or the high end Nuvis, but some are quite affordable. A Windows based Pocket PC, which can be had used on Ebay for roughly $20, coupled with a bluetooth GPS device, also available on Ebay for about $20, will do the trick.

I have a 550 and must say its Wherigo player leaves lots to be desired so just because a unit is expensive doesn't mean everything on it rocks.

There is only one in all of Georgia?

After installing WhereYouGo, I looked at Georgia. I knew about a second one, but you have to log at least 30 of our State Park caches before you are able to go for that one. That one is pretty tough to complete. I did see however that a new one had just popped up on the grid in the last three weeks over near Augusta! Finally! Mine was the second one in the state. The first one was totaled in our 100 year flooding we had last year around this time of the year and was archived.