Newbie Looking for "mentor"

magrobb

Similarly, if you happen to be in the UK have a look at the list of regional geocaching group and forums within the UK & Ireland.

If you don't feel like venturing to a geocaching event yet, here's another idea - Have a look at the names of cache owners in your area - You'll often see some caching account names that stand out as having set a lot of local caches. Have a look at their profiles - Are they still active geocachers? You could try sending a message to one or two of them through the links in their profiles: Let them know that you're new and would appreciate some help/advice etc - Most established geocachers are happy to talk geocaching and help out a genuinely interested "newbie".

Good luck!

MrsB :D

a good start would be to list your location, would make it a lot easier for people to offer help rather than everyone guessing where you might be

if you don;t want to list your location, your other option is to attend local events or browse the caches in your area and figure out who have been in the game longer

having said that, most people will not appreciate receiving unsolicited emails

Edited by t4e

Many areas have regional groups -- where I live the Geocachers of the Bay Area has its own web site. If there is a group in your area, post a message on the local forum. It might be watched more closely than the regional forums on this web site.

Either way, explain as much as possible about yourself. Introduce yourself to the caching community. Where you live, how old are you, that kind of thing. Perhaps give people an idea about how many times you have gone out and the problems you have encountered. Tell people when you are free and the type of caching you might like to do (drive up cachers may have a different interest than hiking cachers). Get people to take a personal interest.

As others have said, attending a local event can often allow you to meet other cachers. Although I am shy so going to an event where I did not know anybody and asking for help might be hard for me. I met most of my caching friends by being on the trail, being introduced in various situations by people I met on the trail, by seeing their logs in caches that I have found or finding their caches.

In some areas, geocachers offer occasional classes in the game to help new people. Our local caching community does some group caching from time to time, and there are group hikes posted on our regional caching web site. That is a great way to meet people in the context of caching and start to learn more about it. But I would be delighted if someone wrote me a note and said they could not find my caches, and were having problems, so would I be willing to take them out on a caching trip -- or let them know when group trips are planned. As noted in the post above, keep in mind that different people react to that kind of request in different ways.

Edited by mulvaney
:D I too have been looking for a mentor, but it seems as tho the Northeast Ohio group is defunct. Not a lot of activity going on there. I have attempted to contact a few people who seem active in my region and haven't gotten any responses. We have found several caches and are anxious to hide some, I just need some good advice on my first hides. I have read up a bit on the topic.

:D I too have been looking for a mentor, but it seems as tho the Northeast Ohio group is defunct. Not a lot of activity going on there. I have attempted to contact a few people who seem active in my region and haven't gotten any responses. We have found several caches and are anxious to hide some, I just need some good advice on my first hides. I have read up a bit on the topic.

If you can't find anyone local to get some good advice from, post something on this forum. You will get plenty of advice.

I am finding that randco. It helps that I am constantly running thru the forums looking for advice. However, last night I got the weirdest message from someone on here. They are a newbie (only opened account on 8/18) and they more or less told me that I need to respect personal property when caching, I should not hide caches on personal property etc. because numerous cachers have gotten arrested for trespassing. Where in the world did THAT come from? I haven't hidden any of my own caches yet, (and even when I do, I already have permission from property owners) and have not trespassed on any private property.

Yes! One idea (if you're in the US) is to visit a State link in the Region forums:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=50

If you can find a local event such as "Geocaching 101" or other informal get-togethers, there are often veteran cachers in attendance who will help you find nearby caches.

Thanks for the link. I posted a request for a mentor in the Colorado forum, but no answer as yet. I don't see where to find out about "informal get-togethers," but I'll keep looking.

Maggie

Yes! One idea (if you're in the US) is to visit a State link in the Region forums:

If you can find a local event such as "Geocaching 101" or other informal get-togethers, there are often veteran cachers in attendance who will help you find nearby caches.

Thanks for the link. I posted a request for a mentor in the Colorado forum, but no answer as yet. I don't see where to find out about "informal get-togethers," but I'll keep looking.

Maggie

Maggie

There are a lot of really nice cachers in Colorado. That's where we started caching. Another thing you can do is go to a cache page and email one of the finders. Look at their profile, and see if they look like a nice person you might want to cache with. Even if they don't go caching with you they might be able to give you advice when you want it.

In fact, where are you located in Colorado? I live in Oregon now, but if you want to PM me about caching in Colorado I would be happy to answer questions that you may have.

As for events, go to the geocaching.com home page towards the bottom, and you'll see the calendar. Also, here's the link: http://geocaching.com/calendar/default.aspx

You can search for events in Colorado there. Here are some that I found:

http://coord.info/GC2AW1R is a meet and greet in Denver on the 24th of August

http://coord.info/GC2D02C Meet and Greet in September

Have fun :anibad:

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Maggie

There are a lot of really nice cachers in Colorado. That's where we started caching. Another thing you can do is go to a cache page and email one of the finders. Look at their profile, and see if they look like a nice person you might want to cache with. Even if they don't go caching with you they might be able to give you advice when you want it.

In fact, where are you located in Colorado? I live in Oregon now, but if you want to PM me about caching in Colorado I would be happy to answer questions that you may have.

As for events, go to the geocaching.com home page towards the bottom, and you'll see the calendar. Also, here's the link: http://geocaching.com/calendar/default.aspx

You can search for events in Colorado there. Here are some that I found:

http://coord.info/GC2AW1R is a meet and greet in Denver on the 24th of August

http://coord.info/GC2D02C Meet and Greet in September

Have fun :anibad:

Thanks so much. I found those, too, and I'm going to try to attend one of the meet and greets.

Hi im looking for 1 for ny state Rochester area. Where would i kook that up at?