PN60W-se

Weird. I've never had any issue with accuracy with my PN-40.

Same here. I've had quite a few occasions where it was so accurate it was scary. The first weekend I took it out, I found 5 caches, and on two or three of them it indicated 2 feet to GZ, I looked down and the cache container was literally a shoe's length from my toes. I started wondering if I'd just made caching too easy for myself.

I agree, I've never seen an issue with the PN-40 regarding accuracy. I've only seen it stated as being as good as, or better than other units. My biggest issue with the PN-40 is battery life. I can't remember seeing any battery life improvement statements about the PN-60. Is it dramatically better?

--Marky

I can't remember seeing any battery life improvement statements about the PN-60. Is it dramatically better?
Power management is a completely new world in the 60. I think I read something like 32 hours on Lithium AAs. Even regular Alkaline battery performance is significantly improved.

IIRC DeLorme claims something like 25-30% improved battery life over the PN-40 exclusive of power saving mode strategies, but they implemented a new power saving mode in the PN-60 that I think works very well for those wanting to get the most out of a set of batteries.

When in PSM, the PN-60 goes into a type of sleep mode after 30 seconds of no button activity whereby the screen displays only a message to touch any button to wake it up. After pushing a button it will then reactivate as soon as it gets a position fix (typically about 8 seconds or so). While in sleep mode, tracking continues to record if so enabled.

There's also an intermediate setting to "Sleep when stationary." If there is no movement detected by the accelerometer, the device goes into sleep mode. It is reactivated when the accelerometer again detects movement or a button is pushed.

I found this comparison chart here (I'm unable to format this table correctly, but the first number is for the PN-60 and the second for the PN-40)

Average Battery Life Under Typical Usage Conditions PN-60 PN-40

With Li-Ion rechargeable battery (available from DeLorme) 13 hrs 10 hrs

With 2 e-lithium batteries 31 hrs 18 hrs

With 2 AA batteries (included with device) 19 hrs 9 hrs

I believe the 2 AA's included with device are the Energizer Advanced lithiums, while the e-lithiums are the Energizer Ultimates.

I found this comparison chart here (I'm unable to format this table correctly, but the first number is for the PN-60 and the second for the PN-40)

I believe the 2 AA's included with device are the Energizer Advanced lithiums, while the e-lithiums are the Energizer Ultimates.

Under GPS Specifications in the linked PDF; shouldn't the first line have an green check mark for :

"GPX file exchanges to SD cards(waypoints, routes, tracks, geocaches) " in the column for PN-40?

(TNA9, & firmware 2.8/3.1 inclusive)

Norm

Under GPS Specifications in the linked PDF; shouldn't the first line have an green check mark for :

"GPX file exchanges to SD cards(waypoints, routes, tracks, geocaches) " in the column for PN-40?

Norm

It should but it may not because you do have to have the TNA 9 right now to get the 2.8 firmware. I was lucky and got it when I bought my PN-40 and love it. I can access my SDHC card without removing it from the unit and load geocaches by dragging and dropping them into the GPX file on my SDHC card. For me the only thing I don't like about the PN-40 is screen size and batteries life but so far neither has hindered me that much. I just bought the delorme carry case and i can have 6 batteries(2 in unit and 4 in case)on me at all times so really it's not big deal.

As far as the OP you could say the same thing about the 62's that garmin just released. I have read about shutdown issues and issues of the unit squeaking every time you push a button and several other things. It is one of the reasons I never buy the latest and greatest. I usually wait 6-12 months so that most of the issues can be solved before I buy one. Plus they generally fall in price after that too.

Norm

On my PN-60wSE, I was able to get 21 hours + out of the e-lithiums with hard use - I can't see worth a toot and the backlight has been used extensively on mine. Completely satisfied!