Disguise

Forester1241

Has anybody ever tried a disguise to make it look like they belong out there snooping around. I used to be a survey party chief and on one of the catches I threw on a High visability vest before doing the final find by the roadside. Another catch was in the middle of a parking lot on a light pole. I pulled out a clipboard in mid-day and leaned it against the pole like I was a utility inspector taking notes. People walked right by me and never even glanced. :D

Edited by Forester1241

Nobody would believe it if I tried the clipboard routine. And if I disguised myself with Groucho Marx glasses, a fake nose, and long coat, they would assume I was a pervert. So I just do what I have to do. Occasionally I get to talk to someone about caching but it's better to be straight forward than to worry about disguises or acting too sneaky.

I use the clipboard when searching urban locations. In the area I live in there are several caches along Main St. One of the locations is across the street from the County Court House and jail. The cache was a micro placed on the bottom of a newspaper vending box. The only choices were to look like an inspector or come back at night. For urban caches, I like the clipboard. It also gives me a nice writing platform to sign the small logs of a micro or nano.

I always wear my undercover cop outfit whenever I geocache!!

..meaning I dress like a normal civilian :D

Proper attitude will get you just as far as any type of costume. Just act confident in what you're doing, don't be slinking about and looking evasive, that'll draw attention to you like a magnet lol

The other day I was picking up a cache in a park and I had to step over the low chain fence that bordered the paved bike trail and walk in 50 feet. I did my thing but some bikers pulled up nearby to read a sign and talk. They were watching me and I didn't want to reveal the hiding spot while trying to rehide the cache, so I pretended I was using my GPS as a camera. They split, I rehid and left.

PERFECT WAY TO LOOK ANONYMOUS: when someone comes by, take your GPS and hold it up to your ear as if you're talking on a cell phone. Passers by will never know the difference and won't pay any attention to you. I used to quickly scurry out of a busy area without a find because I felt stupid when people saw me looking behind guardrails and in bushes. This method gives more confidence to stay longer in a high muggles area.