Nuvi 500 and caches

Tree Toad

I ran a query for 500 caches and loaded them from GSAK into my new Nuvi 500. Now I need to delete them so I can load a new query. But I dont know how???? Pushed a lot of buttons and did a reset but they just wont go away. I sure could use some help. Thanks. Got it thanks.

Edited by Tree Toad

I ran a query for 500 caches and loaded them from GSAK into my new Nuvi 500. Now I need to delete them so I can load a new query. But I dont know how???? Pushed a lot of buttons and did a reset but they just wont go away. I sure could use some help. Thanks. Got it thanks.

View the 500 as a drive on your computer ( plug it in first)

Go to Garmin and then GPX and you will see the GPX files GSAK put on......just delete it ( them ) and you're ready to load more....you can put 1000 on a Nuvi 500

Only the 500 is a true " paperless " Nuvi......you can use " field notes " in your profile to upload a list of all the caches you marked " found " for super fast logging. You can use the " work around " poi loader if you want ( other Nuvi's have to ) and save a poi file but there is no need to...the built in geocaching feature is much more user friendly.

A little drastic, but it quickly wipes everything out completely. AS I only use my 500 for caching, then its not a drama for me. Turn the 500 off, then press continuously the lower right corner of the screen, while turning it on. It will come up with an erase all user data screen. This will erase all geocaches, information, ect. All you have to do is reset your country, and travelling mode. You can then download a new PQ, ect. I do this if I am travelling, and need to download a new PQ. For the little bit of effort resetting the options, its a good way to clean the database completely.

Yes. That's what we do. Use Garmin POI loader, and erase old files. Then use POI Loader to install the new files.

This is what we do as well. Works great! But alternatively, you can take a USB A to mini-A sync cable, and hook it up to your computer (at least on a PC, this is how you do it). Open up 'My Computer', find the Garmin folder, find the GPX folder, and then delete everything out of it.

Yes. That's what we do. Use Garmin POI loader, and erase old files. Then use POI Loader to install the new files.

This is what we do as well. Works great! But alternatively, you can take a USB A to mini-A sync cable, and hook it up to your computer (at least on a PC, this is how you do it). Open up 'My Computer', find the Garmin folder, find the GPX folder, and then delete everything out of it.

Again, this is a 500 model.....YOU DO NOT NEED POI LOADER. The 500 is GEOCACHING READY. You put caches on just like a paperless handheld and the cache pages, hints, logs, etc are there for you and you can use the FIELD NOTES to upload your finds for fast paperless logging. You can ( I have ) loaded it using poi loader as well but there is no earthly reason to do so ( I did it just as a test)

I also have a 780 model for which I must use poi loader for cache info. but like all other Nuvi's other than the 500 you cannot use FIELD NOTES.