Rockaway Township blocks access to Split Rock Reservoir

Harry Dolphin

Rockaway Township blocks access to Split Rock Reservoir

ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP — The township has barricaded the Split Rock Reservoir’s parking lot to ward off misbehaving swimmers.

Concrete barriers, ordered by Mayor Louis Sceusi, were set up at the lot’s entrance Monday morning after the township received no response to requests for increased patrols at the 625-acre reservoir, near the Kinnelon border. The reservoir in recent years has become a popular, though illegal, swimming hole.

The state opened the property to the public about six years ago as a destination for fishing and kayaking. According to Sceusi, swimming is not permitted at the reservoir.

That hasn’t stopped swimmers from diving off the rocky ledges that line the reservoir, Sceusi said. The swimmers put the town at risk for lawsuits, he said, and they litter the area with garbage and graffiti, he said.

“The litter is disgraceful,” Sceusi said. “We feel it’s a problem with safety and health.”

After seeing an increase in swimmers there this summer, the township recently threatened to strengthen penalties for illegal parking at Split Rock. It’s one of the few enforcement options available to the municipality, officials said.

The township has difficulty maintaining order at Split Rock because the reservoir is not its property, Sceusi said.

He said it’s up to Jersey City, which owns the reservoir as part of its water supply, and the state Department of Environmental Protection, which leases it for recreational use, to enforce the rules.

If they’re reluctant to do it, Sceusi said he wants them to give Rockaway Township more authority at the reservoir. The mayor has alerted the state and Jersey City of the issue, Sceusi said, but neither has responded.

The barriers will remain until the situation is resolved, Sceusi said.

Larry Hajna, DEP spokesman, said a meeting is being scheduled and could happen this week.

“We want to come up with a plan that works for everybody,” Hajna said.

Oh, well. With an attitude like that, I doubt that even a CITO Event woud help. Guess I'll never find BrianSnat's two nearby caches...

Disolve Rockaway Township, divide it among the neighboring towns.

The area near the Box of Clams was a big beer camping area. It was accessible by 4 wheel drive and had no relationship to the parking area at all. Mayor apparently does not know the area very well.

Edited by Packanack

About 2 months ago I noticed brand new "No parking on Split Rock Rd" signs. I drove to the Four Birds trailhead to see if that included the small parking area there that provides access to Wildcat Ridge and Split Rock.

Talk about timing. At the trail head I encountered the NYNJTC chair for the area discussing the situation with the chief of police and a town official. The the TC was negotiating to open the hiker parking again. I talked with the chair a few days later and she seemed hopeful that an agreement could be reached.

This is certainly a major turn in the wrong direction.

As far as litter and illegal swimming, that has been going on for years. Well before the parking lot was built.

Edited by briansnat

So If I want to just access the trails where do I park? On previous visits I would park on the other side of the bridge going up the hill,but I do seem to remember more No Parking signs there.

I guess right now you don't, unless you do it from the parking area for Wildcat Ridge

About 2 months ago I noticed brand new "No parking on Split Rock Rd" signs. I drove to the Four Birds trailhead to see if that included the small parking area there that provides access to Wildcat Ridge and Split Rock.

Talk about timing. At the trail head I encountered the NYNJTC chair for the area discussing the situation with the chief of police and a town official. The the TC was negotiating to open the hiker parking again. I talked with the chair a few days later and she seemed hopeful that an agreement could be reached.

This is certainly a major turn in the wrong direction.

As far as litter and illegal swimming, that has been going on for years. Well before the parking lot was built.

BrianS,

I am sure your tried to straighten them out!

This is very sad. I also do not understand how townships are allowed to remove access from a public right of way.

http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/201...ocks_acces.html

I think it is a conspiracy to keep the people away from cool water during the hottest summer on record.

Why, just the other day I read that Riverdale was ticketing those who use the swimming hole in Pequannock River--you know the one ---where people have been cooling off for the last 100 years without incident. All of a sudden it becomes an issue.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/p...imming_ord.html

Edited by Packanack

A start, but still unresolved is parking at the trail heads. Right now the designated parking lot is the only access, which adds about 2 miles to many hikes starting from the parking lot. For example Little Green Men is about 100 feet from the road but you will need to park nearly a mile away at the designated lot to reach it.

Write to the town and complain. Tell them that you are a hiker and the closure of the trail head parking is an problem for you.