Another starter

multi210

Hey everyone I am a teen and feel like I am not getting out enough. I learned about geocaching a long time ago and thought it was fun but no one wanted to do it with me. Now I'm older and and have a gps on my droid. I am 14. I want to meet some geocachers and find some caches of course. I feel like no one I know except an old teacher of mine knows of geocaching. Like I said I would like to meet some geocachers and go out to hunt caches for the first time. I will post where I live if I can get some people to agree to meet me for geocaching but for where I live its not the best area because most caches get stolen and I am not allowed to go to far from home without permission. Thanks in advance!

The best thing to do is try to locate a local club in your area. You could also try posting in the regional forum for your area at the bottom of the forums list. If you are nervous about posting your area but want some help locating a local club you can email me through my profile.

Sorry about that last message. My computer had a slight error. I was going to say my parents are ok with me geocaching. My mother is not in the best of shape. My parents are also close to a divorice. I can see if I can meet someone with my older brothers present.

Edited by multi210

I can see if I can meet someone with my older brothers present.

Like Motorcyle Mama said, parental permission is the way to go at 14 and it's great that you also have older brothers willing to be there for you.

I e-mailed links of geocaching organizations to your username that you might be able to contact for events or assistance.

Have you ever thought about visiting a nearby scout troop to meet others around your age group and to see if you are interested in activities they participate in. Also you might meet someone near your age that is interested in geocaching.

I agree with the posters here who said Get permission and be sure you know WHO you are going to hunt with. Some caches are off the beaten trail, and, well, you know, meeting someone on the internet isn't like you know the person first hand. (unfortunately even though MOST people are quite sane safe an dnormal, some out there will not eyour age, and perhaps make a wrong move)

Anyway, that said, you can, as someone said, check with your local scout troop. Or you can ask at the Y. Some towns have active groups coming from the Y because they may have kids who don't want to be scouts, or want a co-ed group.

Also, once school starts, you can talk it up among freinds (Don't forget other grades!) I thought I was the only 'geeky' one who wanted to geocache, but then after talking to people I know, I discovered two things 1) You are not alone, and 2) some people you never would have thought were interested turned out to be more interested than even you are!

Thanks for the support everyone. I do know about the "people" I meet over the internet can be dangerous. I have seen many many things when I was tiny so I can understand what you mean. I dont know any troops near me but I can look. The Y I live by does not geocache I am pretty sure. If I go down to California I will see if I can find friends. I will ask at my highschool to see if anyone there knows about geocaching. If not I will start my own after school group to raise awareness.

Is there an Explorer Scout troop in your area? I think that starts at age 14 and would be a good way to meet up with some other teenagers in your area that would open you up to outdoor activities in a safe environment.

just a thought

(psst there are girls in Explorers - just sayin')