Is There Any Guidlines Against posting a earth cache about the oil spill*

akk32

The Guidelines

1. EarthCache sites must provide Earth science lessons
  2. EarthCache sites must be educational.
  3. EarthCache sites can be a single site, or a multiple virtual cache
  4. EarthCaches should highlight a unique feature.
  5. EarthCache sites follow the geocaching principles and adhere to the principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics.
  6. Logging of an EarthCache must involve visitors undertaking some educational task that relates to the Earth science at the site.
  7. All EarthCache sites developed must have prior approval of the landowners before submission.

I guess as long as you can keep it about Earth science & give visitors an educational task, it could work.

Just be careful that you don't make it an agenda. That might be a little difficult. I'd bounce your ideas (in detail) off your reviewer before putting a lot of other energy into it. Aside from that, it might be a "slick" cache.

So says the king of bad puns...

I'd be interested in hearing your initial thoughts on development. I don't know anything about earthcaches, other than those guidelines that the really tall dude posted, but one thing does come to mind which may hinder your efforts; longevity. If you bring folks to a beach in Alabama, will there be anything left after X number of months to indicate an oil spill occurred? Maybe you could have folks drive to Dauphin Island and tell them "If you were to go 100 miles, at a bearing of 190 degrees, you would find where the oil spill came from"? Perhaps, in time, there will be some specific location that tells the full story of the spill, and its impact on the Gulf coast. That might make for a worthy earthcache site.

Just ramblin' out loud... :rolleyes:

I'd be interested in hearing your initial thoughts on development. I don't know anything about earthcaches, other than those guidelines that the really tall dude posted, but one thing does come to mind which may hinder your efforts; longevity. If you bring folks to a beach in Alabama, will there be anything left after X number of months to indicate an oil spill occurred? Maybe you could have folks drive to Dauphin Island and tell them "If you were to go 100 miles, at a bearing of 190 degrees, you would find where the oil spill came from"? Perhaps, in time, there will be some specific location that tells the full story of the spill, and its impact on the Gulf coast. That might make for a worthy earthcache site.

Just ramblin' out loud... :rolleyes:

Right... I would think that it would go against the cache permanence guideline, although, in the case of an earthcache, if the spill were to go away (which I guess it's arguable whether that will be the case for a long time), one could talk about the historical significance of the spill, and how it affects the area at the current time.

I didn't get too much of a chance to see the area when I was in Mobile for said spill, but do I recall that oil rigs are generally visible from most places at the shore? One of those could be your more permanent feature "related" to the event....maybe find a spot where marsh and sand beach are close together and talk about impacts, response, restoration to both.

Or, estimate the height and/or coords of an oil rig (triangulation from multiple locations).

HTH!

Right... I would think that it would go against the cache permanence guideline, although, in the case of an earthcache, if the spill were to go away (which I guess it's arguable whether that will be the case for a long time), one could talk about the historical significance of the spill, and how it affects the area at the current time.

Since even best guesstimates are this will be there for years/decades, and even that is more wishful thinking, I do not think this will be an issue.

Best advice given is to run past reviewer.

I don't see anything that would stop you. Though I made it to the EarthCaches on Dauphin Island and Gulf State Park when I was in Mobile working on the spill response and I didn't really see anything that would make for a good EarthCache related to the spill. As I understand, these parts of the coast didn't get affected all that much, so you may need to look at LA or MS for beaches/marshes that were more affected.

If you do successfully find something, good on ya and go for it.