bookswap cache?

I have an idea for a cache - it would be my first one, so I am nervous to do it at all!

We visited a bookswap cache and loved the idea, came prepared with all our kids to find that it was adult paperback novels (not "adult" in that sense, hehe). Anyway we left some kid books (middle reader chapter books) , and the container was really too small for the idea - it was a plastic coffee container. I would like to do a KID bookswap cache. The one we went to had large ziplocks in it, and if you took a book you were asked to leave the bag, etc.... or to please bring your trades in a bag to help waterproof. Where would be a good place for something like that?, and of course it can't be too hard, or too out of the way, and it has to be large, so What kind of container would you suggest? Have you ever seen one like this?

It *is* a great idea, if you make sure that the container is absolutely waterproof. A coffee can is not a good idea for this, so not only is it too small, they don't last as containers. Also remember that you can't really control whether people swap books or not, so be prepared to be okay with people not following along with the original premise; but some will!

I have had one for several years. it sits on top of a small bluff overlooking a Interstate rest stop. It is a 50 cal ammocan hidden in a rocky outcropping with a spectacular view of the surround prairie. Got a nice selection of books and the ammocan keeps them nice and dry and safe.

b48f17f5-8d9c-429b-a85e-c61bec41e05b.jpg

I haven't found an official book swap cache. But caches with books in them. Coffee cans have not been good choices for books I've noticed. Ammo cans are ok unless they get moisture in them (on a rainy day for example). But usually I just move the cache books I find to another cache once I'm done reading them.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great idea and support it, but I find them a waste of time. I am one who can go to a book sale at a library, or church, or whatever, look through thousands of books and be lucky if I find ONE that I want. To get lucky to find one I want out of seven or ten books in a cache is highly unlikely for me. Keep in mind that these are evidently books that the cachers don't want anymore, so is it really feasible that others will want them? Sure, it's feasible, but what's the likelihood?

I DO think that you have a better chance with kids books.

I'm still behind the idea though and certainly wouldn't frown upon it.

We also use www.bookcrossing.com which turns books into travellers, and vacuum pack them with the food sealer before we drop them into a cache

Have fun

What a great idea to use a food sealer!! That will probably prevent a lot of wetness. We found some REALLY soggy books in an ammo can yesterday while caching... too bad.

We also use www.bookcrossing.com which turns books into travellers, and vacuum pack them with the food sealer before we drop them into a cache

Have fun

What a great idea to use a food sealer!! That will probably prevent a lot of wetness. We found some REALLY soggy books in an ammo can yesterday while caching... too bad.

Nice Idea

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great idea and support it, but I find them a waste of time. I am one who can go to a book sale at a library, or church, or whatever, look through thousands of books and be lucky if I find ONE that I want. To get lucky to find one I want out of seven or ten books in a cache is highly unlikely for me. Keep in mind that these are evidently books that the cachers don't want anymore, so is it really feasible that others will want them? Sure, it's feasible, but what's the likelihood?

I DO think that you have a better chance with kids books.

I'm still behind the idea though and certainly wouldn't frown upon it.

See, I love to read, butI don't buy books! I am a library patron all the way! However, the books in the cache we visited weren't so bad, one I'd read before so I left it. I got the impression that the CO loves to buy paperbacks but not keep them. We do have a lot of kid books that my kids grow out of, or duplicates, etc.... but the other thing about Kid books, is that they seem to be collectible, so you may be right about it not working out by not having a constant supply....... but we could give it a go, and maybe invite other trade as well, esp. if it has to do with books - pens, notebooks, bookmarks, and why not include adult paperbacks

How about a location idea? I want it to be accessible to me so I can maintain it, but not where you feel watched or where a large cache will be too easily muggled.

I'm picky about what I read but basically take a leap of faith when I find wayward books in caches and just read them. Just finished one the other day that I didn't think I would like but it wasn't half bad in the end.

I think there is a chance with a book cache you'll get more people just dumping off the books they don't like just so they can trade for something. But I guess that's kind of why I like finding wayward books in caches no one is forced to leave a book but someone did.

How about a location idea? I want it to be accessible to me so I can maintain it, but not where you feel watched or where a large cache will be too easily muggled.

There's a kid's book swap cache under the steps on the side of my village library. It's a .30-cal and a bit too small. IMHO a .50-cal would be a minimum size given the sizes of some kids' books.

No muggle troubles that I've seen - just go outside library hours (they close up early on weekdays, so visiting after work/dinner is no problem).

I have found books are an exceptionally good form of desiccant.

The few I have seen in 5 gal buckets and ammo cans have been a bit damp and musty. The pulp paper is highly attractive to meandering dihydrogen monoxide molecules looking for a nice cozy place to lodge.

Not all water gets in because the cache has a poor seal, as has been observed at length with decons, sloppy cachers may be in too much of a hurry to properly close the cache. I have encountered open ammo boxes, likely because once open a neophyte couldn't work out how to close it again.

Ziploc (or their functional equivalent) bagging books is a good plan and I recommend if you start such a cache, place a supply of bags in the cache for people to trade the books in and out of.