Colorado O-ring Problem

When I slide on the back cover of my Colorado 300, the o-ring around the batteries pulls out of its groove. If I take the time to push it back below the cover with a thin tool I can prevent it coming out of the groove. The tool solution is a big hassle during field battery replacement.

I'm considering grinding a taper into the leading edge of the cover.

Any suggestions?

When I slide on the back cover of my Colorado 300, the o-ring around the batteries pulls out of its groove. If I take the time to push it back below the cover with a thin tool I can prevent it coming out of the groove. The tool solution is a big hassle during field battery replacement.

Any suggestions?

This happened to my CO 300 soon after I got it. I used a little crazy glue and pushed it back into the groove and never had the problem since. I dabbed the glue into the groove bottom using a wooden toothpick, just a little amount of glue, so not to get any on the outward facing side of the gasket. Worked great. I wouldn't alter the cover.

Any suggestions?

Wow - this is going way back into the memory banks, and I did not spot the old thread here ... but didn't Garmin supply an entirely new back for the early Colorado units due to this? Seemed to me people were calling Garmin and just receiving the redesigned replacements by mail. Garmin was trying to avoid entire unit replacements for far worse problems due to water leakage as I recall. Edited by ecanderson
this is going way back into the memory banks, and I did not spot the old thread here ... but didn't Garmin supply an entirely new back for the early Colorado units due to this? Seemed to me people were calling Garmin and just receiving the redesigned replacements by mail. Garmin was trying to avoid entire unit replacements for far worse problems due to water leakage as I recall.
I thought the "way back" issue was with the SD card O-ring, not the battery box o-ring. Of course I attempted a search before posting but O-ring can't be searched.

In any case, thanks for both replies. The crazy glue would be real easy to try. :)

....]Wow - this is going way back into the memory banks, and I did not spot the old thread here ... but didn't Garmin supply an entirely new back for the early Colorado units due to this? Seemed to me people were calling Garmin and just receiving the redesigned replacements by mail. Garmin was trying to avoid entire unit replacements for far worse problems due to water leakage as I recall.

Yup - i got an all new cover for mine - had newly designed gaskets for both battery cover and memory slot. The newer case has an orange gasket in the bottom.