Why is there so much negativity on this forum?

The negativity probably comes from several places, some of which is a perception problem, and some of which is real.

First, Geocachers who frequent forums tend to be passionate about the subject, spend a lot of time here, and have seen countless posts about every topic, most of which come from good intentioned new (to the forum, if not the hobby) cachers who have a "great idea" (bring back virtuals for example). It is generally considered good form to search for posts related to your topic before posting to a forum you are not completely familiar with. This is a common problem amongst many mailing lists and forums, not just geocaching. Repeated duplicate posts can become quite annoying and lead to the negativity you may be seeing.

Second cachers tend to be geeks, and many geeks like to discuss things, sometimes to a great and in-depth degree. The back and forth can be seen by outsiders as bickering, nit picking, and fighting, but often it is done in good fun. A lot of people tend to be sarcastic when discussing things, so what appears negative is merely in jest.

Finally some folks are just cranky curmudgeons, and anything said will be met with negative comments. These folks are best ignored :)

All in all I don't see a great deal of negativity on this forum except for frequent "new ideas" which aren't.

Well said. But I can also relate to what the OP has to say. I once searched the Forum to see if there was an answer to a question I had. Seeing none I posted my question. One of the responses was that I had no business posting that question. That's not acting curmudgeonly, that's downright belligerence.

I've only been caching for a little over a year now, and I've often come here for answers and ideas.

The problem I see is that it seems like most people just come on here to complain or put others down.

It's kind of a bummer. :)

It's a game/sport/hobby.....LIGHTEN UP! ;)

I think more of them need to stay off the forums and go caching, that's the problem especially the dog with glasses

SS

I've only been caching for a little over a year now, and I've often come here for answers and ideas.

The problem I see is that it seems like most people just come on here to complain or put others down.

It's kind of a bummer. :)

I think more of them need to stay off the forums and go caching, that's the problem especially the dog with glasses

SS

Ok, Ok. I'm not Chad, but I'll try to take him out for a walk and find a cache or two. I promise.

Right after I finish responding to ....

It's kind of a bummer. :huh:

SS

What? He's got 5,000 finds in 5 years. That's not enough caching for you? Now GeoBain, he needs to stay off the forums. :laughing:

SS

What? He's got 5,000 finds in 5 years. That's not enough caching for you? Now GeoBain, he needs to stay off the forums. :laughing:

Thank you for saying what I couldn't say for myself. I cache. A couple of times, I've even managed to cache all day long with the (in)famous Bobcam, but that isn't really my style, in the long run. (sure can be fun once in a while, though!!!)

SS

Thank you for saying what I couldn't say for myself. I cache. A couple of times, I've even managed to cache all day long with the (in)famous Bobcam, but that isn't really my style, in the long run. (sure can be fun once in a while, though!!!)

But the real question is have you managed to blackout King Boreas?

SS

But the real question is have you managed to blackout King Boreas?

I may have roughly 5% as many hides as Ian. That figure is just off the top of my head, and it is late, so my figure may be a bit high. Now... I have found more than a few of his hides.

It's kind of a bummer. :laughing:

It's a game/sport/hobby.....LIGHTEN UP! :D

Why is there so much negativity on this forum?

Here ya go. I have been working on this for a few years. Here is the most recent version:

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :laughing:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :D

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :D

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. ;)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :laughing:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :laughing:

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :laughing::huh:

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The Theory of Keeping with The Highly Subjective "Spirit of Geocaching"