Has Garmin fixed their Dakota & Oregon issues yet

So I am fairly new to the Geocache hobby, but my daughter and I are having a lot of fun.

I borrowed a etrex Venture HC from a friend and we are both hooked.

I am using it in conjuction with Ipod-Touch / Geosphere which works fine.

However, I am ready to buy my own. Sticking with Garmin because have i have US and Europe city maps for old Ique 5.

After much research I have decided to buy either Dakota 20 or Oregon 400 / 450.

I want e-compass and paperless geocache.

Not overly concerned about budget.

However, with the research that I have done, I have literally found hundreds of complaints about software bugs with Dakota and new Oregons.

Recently I stumbled onto on string here that indicates Garmin is starting to get software figured out for Dakota 20 which is my first choice.

Does anybody have any insight into current software bugs / and also recommendation of Dakota 20 vs Oregon 400.

Thanks in advance.

depends on what those software bugs are that you're concerned about?

we have an oregon 450. the firmware isn't perfect, but it's being actively maintained, and i can't think of a single issue that i would consider a no-go.

They are not really buggy. Garmin is always bringing in new features and these come with new bugs. They are pretty active at working on any problems.

You want a 450. The 400 is a dead model and the 450 has important improvements.

depends on what those software bugs are that you're concerned about?

we have an oregon 450. the firmware isn't perfect, but it's being actively maintained, and i can't think of a single issue that i would consider a no-go.

My primary concern is the power off and general instability bugs that seemed to be in the 2.7 - 3.0 range.

I guess it is a bit unfair to not mention that every bug / complaint that I found while researching was usually followed by many comments of the awsome support by Garmin support people...

If I understand your post correctly, you expect to be able to use your Ique city maps on a new Garmin.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't be able to do that. Garmin policy is purchased maps are tied to one device. Purchase a new Garmin unit and you'll have to purchase new maps from Garmin or rely on what's available for free on a site such as GPSFiledepot.

My primary concern is the power off and general instability bugs that seemed to be in the 2.7 - 3.0 range.

none of those noticed on my 450. i've had a Wherigo cartridge crash once, but that didn't harm the rest of the unit. occasionally the boot process gets stuck when it's trying to import a fresh set of GPX files (which contain close to 5000 caches for me), but a power off/on fixes that. still not sure what exactly causes that. no instability during regular operation noticed ever.

If I understand your post correctly, you expect to be able to use your Ique city maps on a new Garmin.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't be able to do that. Garmin policy is purchased maps are tied to one device. Purchase a new Garmin unit and you'll have to purchase new maps from Garmin or rely on what's available for free on a site such as GPSFiledepot.

My understanding is that I can use on multiple devices as long as they are registered to me...???

I will check before purchase....

Thanks for the heads up.

My understanding is that I can use on multiple devices as long as they are registered to me...???

I will check before purchase....

Thanks for the heads up.

City Navigator V8 and earlier came with two unlock codes. After that, only one. Topo maps do not need to be unlocked.