I really need a trail/topo map, not sure where to post

Hello all,

I am hiking with my Boy Scout Troop in Philmont New Mexico this summer (in 4 weeks). I have downloaded the New Mexico Topo from gpsfiledepot but it doesn't have the trails I need. Does anyone have any idea where I can find trails for Philmont (In New Mexico) I know where all our camps are and have waypoints for all of them but just no trails. I have used mapsource to zoom in to the area and the trails (that exist on paper maps) are not there.

I am also going to drop off about three or four trackables to continue their journey when I am there!

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hello all,

I am hiking with my Boy Scout Troop in Philmont New Mexico this summer (in 4 weeks). I have downloaded the New Mexico Topo from gpsfiledepot but it doesn't have the trails I need. Does anyone have any idea where I can find trails for Philmont (In New Mexico) I know where all our camps are and have waypoints for all of them but just no trails. I have used mapsource to zoom in to the area and the trails (that exist on paper maps) are not there.

I am also going to drop off about three or four trackables to continue their journey when I am there!

Thank you for any help you can give me.

If you can see the trails on Google Earth you can make your own trails. It's a couple of steps but doable.

Basically you draw the tracks you want in Google Earth, then save it as a .kml file, then use GPS Visualizer to convert it to a MapSource (.gdb) or GPX file.

You might also check EveryTrail because someone else might have already posted what you're looking for.

I had and (think I still have) a garmin map without an installer that covered Philmont (don't remember where I got it). It had trails, campsites, topo lines, hydrology, and POIs for lots of places. I am pretty sure I took the trails and POIs like the campsites and added it to My Trails: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/

The map is transparent and will work on top of the NM topo map. I have to run and do not remember where to look on the map to see if I have Philmont on the map. Go ahead and download the map. If they are not there, give me a waypoint for Philmont and I will find that old map and take the trails from it and add it to my map and post a new version.

I'm assuming you have a Garmin GPS unit.

If you're not opposed to spending some money have you tried the Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K - Mountain South maps or the TOPO U.S. 24K Southwest DVD.

You should be able to check online whether the trails you are looking for are on the maps by checking here,

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=354...719#coverageTab

Click on the interactive map link.

I checked and the Philmont trails and POIs were NOT in My Trails. I checked the liscense from the Philmont map I had to make sure I can use the data and I have now added it to My Trails (Windows version). So My Trails should now have what you need.

I had and (think I still have) a garmin map without an installer that covered Philmont (don't remember where I got it). It had trails, campsites, topo lines, hydrology, and POIs for lots of places. I am pretty sure I took the trails and POIs like the campsites and added it to My Trails: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/

The map is transparent and will work on top of the NM topo map. I have to run and do not remember where to look on the map to see if I have Philmont on the map. Go ahead and download the map. If they are not there, give me a waypoint for Philmont and I will find that old map and take the trails from it and add it to my map and post a new version.

Thanks again. I'm still working on it but it seems to be doable, thanks to your pushes in the right direction.

I am trying to avoid buying Garmin's 24k topo because I will only bee in New Mexico once every couple of years.

I'm sorry, I thought my Garmin was listed in my signature. I'll remedy that soon!

I have an Oregon 550t. (And a nuvi 205w).

I am slowly trying all your suggestions, I'm not ignoring you, just really busy. I really do appreciate all of your input.

I knew about some of those features but I hadn't heard about the "future plot" feature and I have had difficulties with the elevation plot feature. I am playing with that stuff now.

I have tried to freehand the track I want to take but I can't seem to get a map that shows the trail I am looking for into mapsource.

I knew about some of those features but I hadn't heard about the "future plot" feature and I have had difficulties with the elevation plot feature. I am playing with that stuff now.

I have tried to freehand the track I want to take but I can't seem to get a map that shows the trail I am looking for into mapsource.

I don't have any Garmin devices capable of displaying user created draw objects, but I was interested in this thread because it concerned Philmont. Philmont is very concerned that "crews" be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be. That means that you need to impress upon your older boys the necessity of staying with the group and the group leader should know where he is.

(Reference: Wikipedia page on 'Philmont),

I don't have any Garmin devices capable of displaying user created draw objects, but I was interested in this thread because it concerned Philmont. Philmont is very concerned that "crews" be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be. That means that you need to impress upon your older boys the necessity of staying with the group and the group leader should know where he is.

(Reference: Wikipedia page on 'Philmont),

Yes that is correct. All my crew have, and know how to use, map and compass. We are not depending on my Garmin.

I just posted a new version of My Trail http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

I've added some more Philmont Trails

Install it and open it in MapSource (remember it is an overlay so all that will be there is trails and POIs when you zoom in). It will overlay on the free NM topos you mention.

Let me know if it has the trails you need, if not, give me some waypoints to let me know where you need and I will add the trails to the map.

I went to Philmont about 35 years ago

Which of the2010-itineraries do you plan on participating in?

Hi Coggins,

My crew is doing Itinerary 18.

Itinerary18, that's a nice one. Looks like the Map 18 is missing the trail from Base Camp to Lover's Leap!

They actually drive you in a bus to lover's leap. That's probably why they don't have the map trail. So we'll start at lover's leap and hike around to tooth ridge and then hike directly into base camp from tooth ridge.

18 was our first choice, I'm glad they got it. Lots of program stuff and a decent length, but it does have two layover days.