Pondering the largest cache in brooklyn.

I have an idea for the largest cache in NYC, a LARGE garbage can along the side of a house, with the inside modifide with pouches and divders, so it will keep things neat and prevent people from having to reach al the way in for small stuff. Maybe with a combo lock to keep it shut with the numbers in the description.

What are your thought? Then I have to get it passed muggle mom... She may put me in the can and lock it. ;)

I have an idea for the largest cache in NYC, a LARGE garbage can along the side of a house, with the inside modifide with pouches and divders, so it will keep things neat and prevent people from having to reach al the way in for small stuff. Maybe with a combo lock to keep it shut with the numbers in the description.

What are your thought? Then I have to get it passed muggle mom... She may put me in the can and lock it. ;)

Go for it! Sounds very little different than the TB Hotel on my front porch.

For me private property caches go straight to the ignore list. You will also get people who will arrive (not having read the descrtiption) and when they see where it is will not go for it.

Many will go for it but the possibility of someone being suspicious of the activity is greatly increased in those cases.

Plus are you aware that there have been several terrorist activities in New York?

Just pls make sure that all your neighbors know about it, so the cops are not called. Private property caches can make many nervous ESP. In the age of "see something say something"

A lot of people don't like these kind of caches. Despite me being an old-school cache in the woods guy though, I've done several, probably over a dozen. Usually when I have kids with me. If this thing is in a high-density place like Brooklyn, I'd definitely give the house number, describe the house, and maybe even a picture, in addition to the coordinates. And of course I'd notify all the nearest neighbors.

The few of these home caches that I've ignored and blown off didn't make it clear whose house it was, and if all the neighbors knew about it. That could just be me though.

For me private property caches go straight to the ignore list. You will also get people who will arrive (not having read the descrtiption) and when they see where it is will not go for it.

One idea to combat the "not having read the description" problem would be to list the cache as a mystery, and then include a very simple puzzle, but one that ensures that people have read the appropriate information. It should cut way down on misunderstandings.

One idea to combat the "not having read the description" problem would be to list the cache as a mystery, and then include a very simple puzzle, but one that ensures that people have read the appropriate information. It should cut way down on misunderstandings.

Or, for those of us, who dislike puzzles- put the house address on as the cache name. Seems to be the easiest way And helpful to those foreign to NY and Brooklyn

Plus are you aware that there have been several terrorist activities in New York?

So what, no caching in NYC?

Or, for those of us, who dislike puzzles- put the house address on as the cache name. Seems to be the easiest way And helpful to those foreign to NY and Brooklyn

Wasn't there already a thread about this today. If you don't read the Cache page, it is your own problem, not the COs.

Wasn't there already a thread about this today. If you don't read the Cache page, it is your own problem, not the COs.

While I totally get your point, with "if you see something say something" etc., hunters not reading the cache page can quickly become the CO's problem. Regardless of who's fault it is, as a CO it's definitely worth spending a little time thinking about ways to cut down on the confusion.

While I totally get your point, with "if you see something say something" etc., hunters not reading the cache page can quickly become the CO's problem. Regardless of who's fault it is, as a CO it's definitely worth spending a little time thinking about ways to cut down on the confusion.

Fair enough. I think that is where notifying the neighbors comes in.

By the way, how do you tell the neighbors? Make up a flyer, or go door to door, or something else?

Make sure your coordinates are really really good too. I know there's a cache here where you end up at a house and the houses are placed close together. So te coordinates aren't right on and lots of folks have ended up at the neighbors. I attempted a cache on private property in a better neighborhood and hated it. Didn't much like feeling like I was tresspassing the home owner was there and knew what we were doing but it was still weird.

WOW, REALLY?!

Scuba, get a geocaching flag or something to flag the house to lead the hunters to the GZ, place your street address as the name of the cache, inform all neighbors about the cache and your intention. THen place the cache. But I urge you to really think about the consequences of having mostly strangers look for something near you home