Noob with a Garmin

KilllerBee

Started today for the first and manually put 5 caches in my Garmin eTrex H. I got it used off Craigslist and it works but seems to be really inaccuate. I criss-crossed over and over trying to pinpoint the cache only able to narrow it down to a 20-30 foot area. Sometimes just standing in one place it would change direction or distance by 15-20 ft.

Is this normal for this model? Do I need to save up for a better one?

I want this to be fun for my kids but I don't want to search the area of a house for a micro! :)

Recreational GPS receivers have an accuracy range of 20-30 feet typically. And remember that the hider's GPS unit had the same margin of error.

When you are new to the hobby, typically it is advisable to start with Regular or Large size caches.

Also, it is advisable to start with difficulty ratings no greater than 1.5.

Use your GPS unit to get you to the general area and then use your senses to search for the cache. Look for hiding places, things that look out of place (piles of sticks, piles of rocks, etc.). Think like a hider.

Read the hints and past logs on the cache page.

Don't get discouraged. If you can't find a cache, just move on to the next one.

Once you find a few, you will have a better sense of how they are hidden and what to look for.

That area that you reference, 15 - 20ft sometimes up to 30ft, IS where the GPSr is gonna take you. That is what we call Ground Zero (GZ).

If you keep watching at when you are that close, it is going to swing you this way and back, every direction.

Don't expect it to show you the cache (put you right atop it), it just is not going to do that reliably.

GZ is where most people stop looking at the GPSr and start looking for the cache. Now you have to develop the skills necessary to find it -- it is still a hunt, ya know. With practice, you will catch on to noticing things that are out-of-place, or not quite normal and even actual hiding spots before you actually see the cache itself.

A simplistic analogy is -- how many times did you fall before you really learned to ride a bike? You certainly didn't learn how to ride from reading a book.

Good luck. Now go out and practice. :)

Almost all the handheld consumer GPS units have an average accuracy in the 15 to 25 foot range. When you are inside that, the readings will shift as the sats move overhead and the configuration and signal strength varies. Add your error to the potential error of the hider and you can easily find yourself searching a 50 foot radius for the cache. Typically I find them within 20 feet or less but I am prepared to widen the search.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal.

Started today for the first and manually put 5 caches in my Garmin eTrex H. I got it used off Craigslist and it works but seems to be really inaccuate. I criss-crossed over and over trying to pinpoint the cache only able to narrow it down to a 20-30 foot area. Sometimes just standing in one place it would change direction or distance by 15-20 ft.

Is this normal for this model? Do I need to save up for a better one?

I want this to be fun for my kids but I don't want to search the area of a house for a micro! :lol:

That is normal for any model. One thing about the eTrex and all models without an electronic compass, is that you need to be moving at a brisk pace for the directional needle to work. If you stop or slow down (which is what most people do as they approach the cache) it will no longer show direction.

you need to be moving at a brisk pace for the directional needle to work.

from another noob, I think this is one of the most important things to remember, try walking past where you think it is, and on your return the arrow will swing again showing you where to head towards.

Saying that, I find in the UK the garmin quite close to the cache itself, or I have been very fortunate with the CO who have really stuck the exact co-ords for their hides

I had a Legend H and found it to be accurate. In most cases within 10 feet or less of the cache. I am sure that it depends on where the person that hid the cache marked the cood's and the accuracy of their unit.

The Legend H does not have an electronic compass, so the bearing needle will jump and stop when you stop walking. Others have mentioned walking at a brisk pace, I never did that. When I got within 10 feet I would walk slowly following the bearing needle, then I would get a visual of what was out in front of me in this range. I also found it helpful to walk toward QZ from another direction using the same technique as above.

Happy hunting, be safe and most of all, have fun.

:mad:

I have got a few under my belt now. I'm trying to keep all this in mind. Thanks so much for the responses and encouragement. I have caught the bug I suppose... I go through the day wondering where the next hide will be and thinking of where I would hide them. It won't be long and I'm sure I'll have my first cache to hide myself.

I also have an Etrex H unit that we use for the kids as we use the iPhone app.

I find that the bearing is very accurate the problem is when you slow down the compass will read wrongly.I find the best solution is to have a basic compass with you aswell. So you can check the direction.

Like I say the bearing is normally correct so if it's pointing to the cache and saying South make sure you are facing south.

Hope this makes sense

That is normal for any model. One thing about the eTrex and all models without an electronic compass, is that you need to be moving at a brisk pace for the directional needle to work. If you stop or slow down (which is what most people do as they approach the cache) it will no longer show direction.

Heh. About three miles an hour, which is a fast walk. You made me think of me...dashing back and forth in the woods, trying to get a direction. I smacked into more than one tree before I learned to pick a landmark on the map screen and navigate from that. Though, to be honest, now that I have a built in compass, it ain't all that accurate.

Saying that, I find in the UK the garmin quite close to the cache itself, or I have been very fortunate with the CO who have really stuck the exact co-ords for their hides

I find satellite coverage MUCH better in the UK, for whatever reason. I couldn't believe it the first time my unit picked up the maximum 13 satellites at once. Presumably, more data equals more accuracy.