Newbie needs some GPS buying tips!

RFF

So, as you can tell, we're newb's!

I've heard of Geo Caching for years now, but never really gave any thought about it, until a recent local newspaper article explained geo caching and how it has grown over the last few years. So, I did some research and have found that there are quite a few caches hidden within an hour from my home.

Since my kids are the perfect age for hiking and adventures, we thought that this would be a great adventure to try out this summer. The kids will have lots to talk about back at school this coming fall, and not only can we take the dog with us, I can get some great pics, the kids will learn some local history and we can do it even when we travel!!

But, I have NO CLUE what kind of GPS to get!! Other posts suggest to get a cheap one, or an expensive one, but I'm not worried about the price, I'm worried about the FEATURES! I don't understand the lingo and language of geo caching yet (waypoints?? Maps??) and I don't want to buy a GPS that doesn't have what we will need to start our adventure :laughing:

If anyone on here has some tips for what features we should look for, that would be greatly appreciated. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg for something really fancy, but we also don't want to cheap out and get something that we will grow out of too quickly. Middle of the road in price, and necessary features, not necessarily the bonuses!!

Thanks

Jen

Most any GPSr will get you there and back (assuming that you know/can use it properly). :laughing:

Generally for beginners, price IS a major consideration -- as they aren't sure they are going to like geocaching, or stay with it.

Higher valued/priced/more feature units will do just about everything except pick the cache and open it for you. Most will even sign your name. They will gather the info from the website (download), allow you to type out a log (field notes) and upload it to the website -- you fill in the blanks from the notes and post it in a single click. Most will have the entire cache page that you see on the website downloaded to the GPSr (including the decrypted hint if there is one) along with perhaps five of the last previous logs. These are referred to as "paperless" units.

Other GPSr units can download SOME info (the important, basic stuff like cache ID, coords, but little else).

Basic GPSr units mostly need to have the cache coords hand-entered by the user (there are work-arounds, with the proper equipment), basic gray-scale screens, no maps, etc.

----------

Upper-level units include Garmin (Dakota/Colorado/Oregon lines) in hand-held versions;

Delorme (PN-30/PN-40/PN-60 - not released yet, I don't think);

Lowrance (Endura line) is a strong entry to the market-place;

Magellan (eXplorist and Triton series) sometimes get good raves, sometimes not.

Though not considered paperless the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx is well-loved (it is being replaced by a new model).

----------

Some in-car (SatNav) units work well for geocaching, BUT usually they have drawbacks, regarding bulkiness, weather resistance, less rugged (the occasional oops - dropped it), battery life.

----------

If you feel you are really going to "dig" geocaching, and price is not necessarily an issue, I would strongly recommend any of the upper-level units. Fact is, most who start low usually upgrade better before too long anyway!

At least that should thin your search field a little. B)

Read reviews of all in this link: GPS REVIEWS

Any hand held unit will work for geocaching, but many of the newest units have geocaching specific features such as "paperless caching", meaning all the cache info can be held on the unit. Older units and low end units only give you the cache ccordinates and name and in some cases, the cache owner's name. You would need to either carry paper cache pages with you or use a device such as a PDA to carry the cache pages electronically

Automotive units can also work, but are generally a poor choice.

A mid priced hand held will cost between $200 and $300.

Some fairly essential features:

ability to hand enter waypoints

compass navigation screeen

1,000+ waypoint capacity

high sensitivity receiver (if in an area with heavy tree canopy)

computer connectivity

Waterproof to IPX7 standards

Some nice to have features:

color display

electronic magnetic compass and barometric altimeter

paperless caching capability

mapping capability

expandable memory

ability to store GPX or LOC files on memory card

waypoint projection

recessed display

sun/moon info

autorouting capability {turn by turn driving instructions)

Garmin, Lowrance and DeLorme have some excellent units in the mid price range.

As Gitchee-gumme mentioned in his post, the Garmin 60CSX (and it's sister unit the 76CSX) is very popular among geocachers. Now that Garmin is about to introduce an updated version, many places are selling these units for half of what they were costing a year ago, and at times packaging them with maps for free. If you see a deal on one of these units, jump on it. It is a high end unit that has been selling at the lower end of the mid price rage the past few weeks.

They are not true paperless units but can hold a good bit of cache info using 3rd party software like GSAK and the Garmin POI loader.

Edited by briansnat

Thank you for all the buying tips!! This will help me in choosing a good GPS unit, but not buy one that is out of my league!

I'm HOPING that we are going to stay with it! My kids, husband, dog and I <3 to hike, and we spend many hours exploring new parks and trails that are local to us. They can't seem to get enough of the outdoors. Hence the reason I thought that this was a perfect addition to our hikes, and the kids being 6 and 7, they <3 the idea of looking for a treasure!! As a mom, I just like the idea of them learning something this summer, rather than watching the TV ;-)

However, I don't want to be purchasing something that is way too advanced for us. We have never had a GPS unit, as we seem to find that the ones in cars are usually more of a pain than a help! We have always had the best luck using an old fashioned map when we get lost, which doesn't seem to happen too often, thankfully! But this is going to require something a little more advanced than a map I'm guessing!! I've looked at the locations of some of the caches hidden close to me, and I could PROBABLY find them, if I looked carefully, but even then, I could be there for HOURS looking for the exact spot where someone hid a camo film canister :laughing:

Thanks again for all the buying tips! This will help me immensely!

Jen

Never having had/used a GPSr is a learning treat in itself.

Don't sweat learning it because:

1. You aren't already locked into concepts of "re-learning" -- usually little more than a pain B)

2. Everybody here in the forums are ready to help you with any hurdle that you have to jump (or climb) over :laughing:

3. None of them are overly complicated, but they all have a learning curve. Nothing that practice won't cure. Having more bells and whistles doesn't really equate to more difficulty. It actually can make it more user friendly. These things are made for the consumer market, afterall. :laughing:

Whatever your choice, we hope you have fun.

Just to put in my $0.02--I think the Garmin Venture HC is a good starter GPS. It's about the cheapest thing that'll get you there, has decent maps, and so forth. It is also VERY easy to get data between your computer and the unit.

And if you've used it for a year and are still into caching, that's totally awesome and you can probably justify to yourself that you've gotten your money's worth and it'd be okay to move up.

Or, if you're me, you realize it's a pretty decent unit and have an iPhone to log things paperlessly.

Everyone on here has been very helpful! And there are lots of topics to read, and read, and read!! And I know that everyone has their favorite gadgets.

I have been hearing about using the Iphone and Touch phones, but I don't know if I want to shell out the money for that too! I've heard that they are not as accurate, but great to use WITH a GPS....and maybe I'll go with a simpler GPS + and iphone. I still haven't really priced out anything yet...

There is a sportsman store close to me, and I plan on calling them and asking them what THEY would recommend....and see what their opinions are too. Maybe they can even hook me up with some local GC's who may have some ideas too!!

But thank you all for your $0.02!! The more info I have to work with, the better!!

Thanks for being so friendly and helpful!

Jen

Ahhh, I never thought of it that way..... but you're right. I can see the kids wanting to find it, and trying to chase them around, and hold onto the dog.... paperless may be a good thing :laughing:

Thanks!!

Jen

Don't buy less than the Garmin Venture HC.

High sensitivity, long battery life, some mapping memory, color screen, Geocaching mode and a rugged performer. About $125

Bass Pro has this unit on sale right now, I bought one this week. My first unit.

I watched this youtube video:

And was ready to hunt about ten minutes after opening the package!

I just started this myself, but as far as "paperless" goes, my wife likes having the paper to read while we are on the way and she likes working out the hints. You may find your kids to be the same...

There is a sportsman store close to me, and I plan on calling them and asking them what THEY would recommend....and see what their opinions are too. Maybe they can even hook me up with some local GC's who may have some ideas too!!

Be careful. I've found that too often, store personnel are woefully ill informed about GPS units, even in stores where you'd expect to encounter clerks with some expertise.

Many a time I've stopped by the GPS display in a store to check out the units and have been given info that I knew for a fact to be wrong from the sales clerk.

I wouldn't buy an iphone just for geocaching. If you've been wanting one, and this is a another use you can think of to justify getting one, then go for it! But if you don't really need an iphone, it's not necessary. Think also of ruggedness. Are your kids going to want to hold the unit? Most likely yes. Any of the gpsr's are pretty rugged, and will handle being dropped, and even dunked in a puddle. I wouldn't trust my children wandering down a trail with a smart phone in their hands!

I really like having the paperless feature on my gpsr. If budget isn't a huge issue, I would start looking at those units. Good luck, and have fun!

Going out with kids, I would get a paperless one. So much easier that way for me at least having 3 run around me wanting to find it LOL We got the Delorme PN-40 and have been happy with it but it is my first so I have nothing to compare it with :rolleyes:

Paperless is the only way to go. But you need a premium membership to download caches by pocket query. I also use the PN-40 although I also use a Garmin Vista HCx. If you have an i-Phone, you are are all set, just put the app on it.

Edited by alohabra