8000 Geocaches loaded on Oregon 450

I just loaded 8 pocket queries with a total of 8,000 geocaches on them. But, the areas that they do cover overlap and I am really only (ha, ha, he said only) loading 4,475 geocaches. These geocaches are in the areas that I frequent during any given week. There is no way that I will be looking for all of them because I never plan my geocaching trips. I will usually find geocaches that happen to be on the way to one of my kid's activities, work, an eatery, or a friend's house.

Anyway, there is a purpose to this rambling post. My Oregon 450 doesn't seem to have any issues loading these geocaches. But, does anybody know how it goes about ignoring the duplicates? I am getting ready to stop using GSAK because I don't see too much use for it now with GC.com allowing 1000 geocaches in each pocket query and my Oregon 450 being able to handle 5,000 geocaches. Also, does anybody see a problem with loading geocaches on the Oregon 450 this way?

Good luck with your Oregon and that many caches. My 200 had around 1800 caches loaded into it and it would lock up every time I tried to view description. I would have to pull the batteries to get it to restart. I could load the cache, use the compass and everything, but could not view description. Fortunately, I had the laptop with me and was able to reload my Oregon as we were out on an FTF run and cache back a couple hundred miles from home. Once I cleared it and only loaded the 300 caches nearest me, it worked perfectly.

Good luck with your Oregon and that many caches. My 200 had around 1800 caches loaded into it and it would lock up every time I tried to view description. I would have to pull the batteries to get it to restart. I could load the cache, use the compass and everything, but could not view description. Fortunately, I had the laptop with me and was able to reload my Oregon as we were out on an FTF run and cache back a couple hundred miles from home. Once I cleared it and only loaded the 300 caches nearest me, it worked perfectly.

I had that happen recently when I loaded 5000 caches in one GPX file through GSAK. Mine would lock up evertime I would try to view the log history, or the hint. But, it hasn't happened since I just started loading the pocket queries I get directly from GC.com. I was loading all of the logs for each geocache, instead of the usual five last entries. So, that could have been the problem. In any case, on my wife's Oregon 200, we load two GPX files with 1000 geocaches each, and we haven't had any issues, yet.

But, does anybody know how it goes about ignoring the duplicates? I am getting ready to stop using GSAK because I don't see too much use for it now with GC.com allowing 1000 geocaches in each pocket query and my Oregon 450 being able to handle 5,000 geocaches. Also, does anybody see a problem with loading geocaches on the Oregon 450 this way?

To avoid duplicates in your PQs, set them up by "date placed" and establish an enlarged radius. Set the first one to start on Jan 01, 1995 and keep pushing the date forward until the PQ returns about 980 caches (or so). Then set the next PQ with a date one day later than the last one ends. Keep doing that until you reach "the future". You will have no duplicates in the PQ files you load into GSAK.

This issue has been covered many times read post 5 on this forum for the answer.

:P I have an Oregon 400T and am having problems reading geocaches from the memory card.

At present, the only way the unit will read them is if I copy the files across to the main unit.

This is a pain as i wanted to get all of my local area ( approx 1000 plus files ) onto the main unit so that i can go off at short notice without having to mess about with the pc before i start.

Am i missing something obvious?

:P I have an Oregon 400T and am having problems reading geocaches from the memory card.

At present, the only way the unit will read them is if I copy the files across to the main unit.

This is a pain as i wanted to get all of my local area ( approx 1000 plus files ) onto the main unit so that i can go off at short notice without having to mess about with the pc before i start.

Am i missing something obvious?