Colorado 300 locking up

I have a CO300. There are a few issues that I am currently aware off, including maps not redrawing when you move around.

After loading a GPX file and restarting it, it will often lock on the loading map page, if this happens turn it off and then back on and it should be fine.

Do all the caches appear? or when you select a cache is the bit where it would show distance and D/T etc blank? If they are and you try to see the cache description it will lock up, and keep doing it. If this happens in the field you need to do a master reset. Hold the turn buttons on the front in and turn it on still holding the buttons. You will then need to set up time zone, daylight settings etc etc. I have often found I have to do 2 or 3 resets to get it all back in order. When the nearby caches pop up you should be fine again.

To stop the above in future when loading PQ's connect your CO to the PC then navigate in and delete the GPX files, unplug it then start it up. When it has started turn it off reconnect to the PC and load your new GPX files in, you should be fine. But out of habit I now check caches appear correctly before leaving home.

These issues are known about and Garmin are working on them, so they tell me.

I hope this helps.

I have a CO300. There are a few issues that I am currently aware off, including maps not redrawing when you move around.

Latest firmware release should fix that. I no longer have any OS map issues when using the latest firmware (non beta via webupdater)

After loading a GPX file and restarting it, it will often lock on the loading map page, if this happens turn it off and then back on and it should be fine.

Loading the first GPX file after an update can take quite a while. Be very patient before restarting it. Properly ejecting the device from the PC prior to restarting is wise. If you use GSAK to export to the GPSr, you may find you have to exit GSAK before Windows will let you eject it cleanly.

A friend had a unit that regularly locked/hung/corrupted the screen image, even with the latest firmware. This was caused by a corruption on the device. Connecting it to the PC and doing a CHKDSK against the GPSr volume resulted in numerous errors. We fixed the corruptions and then restored the full backup we took of the device when new, back over it. So far the unit has been fine. If you don't have the luxury of a full backup to restore to, then you may have to return it to Garmin.

Jon.

Latest firmware release should fix that. I no longer have any OS map issues when using the latest firmware (non beta via webupdater)

Loading the first GPX file after an update can take quite a while. Be very patient before restarting it. Properly ejecting the device from the PC prior to restarting is wise. If you use GSAK to export to the GPSr, you may find you have to exit GSAK before Windows will let you eject it cleanly.

A friend had a unit that regularly locked/hung/corrupted the screen image, even with the latest firmware. This was caused by a corruption on the device. Connecting it to the PC and doing a CHKDSK against the GPSr volume resulted in numerous errors. We fixed the corruptions and then restored the full backup we took of the device when new, back over it. So far the unit has been fine. If you don't have the luxury of a full backup to restore to, then you may have to return it to Garmin.

Jon.

Thanks

I have tried a reset and reloaded the latest software and will try that.

Should have said I am a mac person so some of advice is pc only.

Am I right in thinking that currently only one cache at a time is shown on the OS Maps. So if you are doing a series it does not show the others just the one that you are going for and that Garmin are addressing this little problem for a fix? :drama::laughing::lol:

I have Garmin Discovery OS Maps, which are great, but only the cache that we are headed for is shown on the map not any others close by. So one could be sitting amongst hundreds, but have no idea! Before I updated the Oregon it would show the other caches in an area. So what are Garmin going to do is what I suppose I'm really saying, or has anyone a solution. Apart from going back pre-update of software that is. :P:P

I have Garmin Discovery OS Maps, which are great, but only the cache that we are headed for is shown on the map not any others close by. So one could be sitting amongst hundreds, but have no idea! Before I updated the Oregon it would show the other caches in an area. So what are Garmin going to do is what I suppose I'm really saying, or has anyone a solution. Apart from going back pre-update of software that is. :):(

Works fine for me...

3d583922-f2ee-493b-ba2e-8a510acd6396.jpg

You can clearly see two other 'event' icons on the map screen whilst the puzzle cache is pointed to. One is by the scale line at the top and the other a few miles south of the blue arrow. Works the same on other cache types as well as events.

Jon.

That is quite interesting as I have zoomed out to a distance of 2 miles as you have done and nothing! I usually have my map at 800 feet to 0.2mile as that is how we use it walking around. We recently did the 'A Series for your Pleasure (GC296WV) which has some 24 caches in a distance of 4.8 miles, the map should look like a mine field, but it only shows the one that we are headed for despite the magnification. Another thing that I notice is that on your photo the distance is shown to cache and pointer. On mine I simply have + & - at the top right hand and x bottom left, which one touches to return to main menu where one selects compass to have the pointer and distance to the cache shown. :):(

From my Oregon 450. Shows 3 zoom levels with caches. Not had problems displaying caches other than sometimes it takes a few moments for them to display. Check the settings for the map, 'Zoom Levels - Points, Streets etc' - 'Map Points' on Auto. I tried a few other settings and things seemed to come and go from the map!

Chris (MrB)

oscaches.jpg

That is quite interesting as I have zoomed out to a distance of 2 miles as you have done and nothing! I usually have my map at 800 feet to 0.2mile as that is how we use it walking around. We recently did the 'A Series for your Pleasure (GC296WV) which has some 24 caches in a distance of 4.8 miles, the map should look like a mine field, but it only shows the one that we are headed for despite the magnification. Another thing that I notice is that on your photo the distance is shown to cache and pointer. On mine I simply have + & - at the top right hand and x bottom left, which one touches to return to main menu where one selects compass to have the pointer and distance to the cache shown. :):(

Ahh.. that's 'cos I'm using a Colorado! I can get a screen shot from my Oregon as well if you like, it does exactly the same though. That is, it shows other caches & POI's whilst navigating to a geocache or waypoint.

If you wish I can get dumps of the various zoom level settings for icons and post them so we can compare? Or maybe you image yours and post them, and I'll see if they correspond. Also, let us know what firmware you are using in your unit and how you download the waypoints? For example, are all yours downloaded individually or via a pocket query direct from the website? Mine are populated via Lingnumaqua's GSAK macro. The caches shown are all from a single GPX file it has created. All my found caches are sent as POI's and both the POI's and Unfound caches from the GPX display on the screen simulataneously with the direction pointer on both the Colorado and the Oregon. I'm running both units on the latest NON-beta version of the firmware (I see a new release is out for the Oregons, but it's Beta and has POI problems).

Jon.

Yes my Oregon 300 with mapping used to look like Chris's middle shot until I upgraded the software for Oregons, so now apart from one icon of the cache that we are headed towards, it looks like his right hand shot. I do not use Lord Elphs icons either, just the norm. I also load from GSAK using the macro. So I am of the opinion that it was something in the upgrading that has taken that asset away. What did happen last night whilst playing around with the mapping was that when the Red Pin point passed over another cache in the area the icon showed, but as soon as the pin was moved it went again. So they are there obviously just hidden for some reason. Therefore at a loss of what to do. :):(

Eureka !! I have just updated the software again from 3.70 to 3.80 and all is back again. Shows all caches in an area as it used to do. So it was the upgrade to 3.70 that had caused the gliche and 3.80 has rectified it. Wonderful. Does anyone use 'Birds Eye' and is it worth purchasing? Thanks for all your other assistance and advice. Might even attempt to swap my icons Chris, but a little wary of changing things, even though it sounds straight forward on your Follow the Arrow page. :):(;)