Night caching

My husband and I have recently gone on a couple of really fun night caches. We are addicted! One of our favorites was "The Night Beckons You" GCXYMV (sorry, I'm not sure how to make a link). Sadly, there are very few caches of this sort around us (southeast Michigan). I'm interested in hearing interesting stories, experiences, and adventures people have had while caching at night. We especially like caches that are only available at night with a flashlight - the more adventurous the better! We would also like to see links to awesome night caches. Thanks!

My husband and I have recently gone on a couple of really fun night caches. We are addicted! One of our favorites was "The Night Beckons You" GCXYMV (sorry, I'm not sure how to make a link). Sadly, there are very few caches of this sort around us (southeast Michigan). I'm interested in hearing interesting stories, experiences, and adventures people have had while caching at night. We especially like caches that are only available at night with a flashlight - the more adventurous the better! We would also like to see links to awesome night caches. Thanks!

I know people do it here in Florida, but dadgum with the snakes, they are much braver than I.

I know people do it here in Florida, but dadgum with the snakes, they are much braver than I.

Around these parts the worse we got is a non-venomous garter snake, of which I have only seen a few... In my life here! I have however seen one in my backyard. We don't have many dangers up here, the weather is fine, no tornadoes or hurricanes. The neighborhood is nice, very low crime rate. We also don't have any dangerous animals, nothing poisonous. The worst we have around here is that we live in the worse possible area in the world for Lyme disease. It is spread by ticks, even a few of my family members have it... And they are rarely if ever in the woods. Sadly, I am at great risk with my caching habits...

As a fellow resident of southeast Michigan, I would appreciate you letting me know if you find any more cool night caches! ;)

there are a few in Washington local to the Puget Sound where I live

I have had a great time with them and would like it if there were more

I have been setting one up that is taking longer than I thought it would

couple of false trails etc, basically about a mile easy hike that brings you back

near your starting area

made an ammo can with LED light in it, one of those halloween things you

put in a pumpkin that will light up and flash when lid of ammo can is

opened

I may even setup a proximity sensor that goes off when you get to GZ

one of my pals did that and it has gotten awesome reviews so far and

batteries seem to last a month or so, so maint isnt too bad

I love nightcaches as wel, but go often alone out into the woods at night. This gives you a special thrill.

I my area (close to Aachen, Germany) there are plenty of nightcaches. Quite some are made during an annual Halloween Event (GC1X1DY) in Porselen (very well attended, 10+ nightcaches each year, last year even a Mega Event), but also plenty of others nearby. Some have themes, like the goatriders, a group of thieves in the 18th century. I made a nightcache "L25: Ut Galgebeumke" (GC16G3W) which brings you to the tree where the thieves were hang when they catched them.

The best I ever did was "MPGO: A Hard Day's Night" (GC12J26), a very challanging night cache (D/T 3.5/4) located in a former coal mining area.

Another good one is "Wurm-Loch" (GC1G4X4) where you get under the city of Aachen.

If you ever get in the area, just contact me!

Greetings from the Netherlands from Moose61

Almost all caches can be night caches.

I would guess that 80% or so of my finds have been at night.

True, We just really like the ones that use creative means like beacons, sensors, and glow tacks that only work at night. We have done two like that so far and they are our favorite caches.

When I was running a dedicated account, many of my finds along the highway were done at night. Using the flashlight only when no traffic was passing, stumbling over fallen limbs and rocks, having INS stop to see why the truck was parked on the shoulder there........

I miss those days!

Unfortunately in my area there arent alot of caches that you can do at night without the local 5-0 hassling you for being out after dark. I swear, they have nothing else to do. I have only been caching for about a month and have already been aproached twice (during the day) by cops asking me "what I was looking for." Then when I try to explain geocaching to them, they act like its something that we shouldnt be doing.!!!

We would also like to see links to awesome night caches. Thanks!

Here's a fun one near Woodstock, Ontario that I found two years ago called Yggdrasil...challenging but not overwhelming with a satisfying finish.

On its cache page, you'll see bookmark lists for other night caches in Ontario...not too far from SE Michigan, especially if you combine the trip with a visit to the Stratford Festival.

When I saw this topic I had to read on through all the posts to see if anyone had thought of something that I have been planning to lay out for a cache in the next couple months or so. It will certainly be a night cache, as it will be completely dependant on three things that only occur at night and provided you are not the only person in that neck of the woods, sort of.

Without giving the exact details of what and where I will be doing the basic idea is very good and can work for other caches as well, I have tested this idea now in 4 completely differnet situations and it always works provided you use your head.

When a cars head lights travel ahead of a car going down a road the beam of the head light travels in its own curved path sometimes several hundred meters ahead of the vehical in sweeping curved paths. If you were to be standing say for example just beyond a bend in the road somewhere near Barstow California (just for the ease of the vegitation of the road) and a car were to be approaching, you would see the headlights shine on everything that the lights sweeps across as the car makes the curve. If this were durring the day head lights or not you would not see the head lights shinning.

Now if you were to use you head and locate an object that would not take to the changes of growth like a fence post or a rock and in some way create a situation where that object would be illuminated by a head light going past you would have something that if placed on a very little used road would be a very complicated cache to locate if you were having to wait for a car to pass by and light up some reflector or piece of mirror carefully hidden from sight but would glow like the sun when a headlight hit it. The third item that would make this cache even more of an effort and an even bigger waiting game perhaps (unless you could get a freind to operate a car and drive by a few times) Once the small pieve of mirror is located you will then need to use that possition to look at a car driving past again to then see a second object on the oposite side of the road that will be in direct line with the headlight as it hits the piece of mirror and this is where the actual cache would be located. In my situation the road where I will be placing this cache eventually has an official reported traffic frequency of 14 cars a week driving past and the road you will be standing off of is not the same road that the cars need to be traveling down to light up the cache (this bit of info will be excluded and will be perhaps a third required car to find the cache) Thge details I have here do not allow this cache idea of mine to appear as a very good idea, this is because I have left out a great deal of info that will actually make the cache very sensible and understanding, its only puzzling element will be how to use the headlights to view the cache POI's you will be guided to the exact place one needs to be standing to see the mirrow glow, this will be the co-ods of the listing, GZ will be the second POI.

It is very likely that no one will ever locate the cache on the same night as they start to look for the cache, simply due to having to wait an undisclosed amount of time for a car to pass, by the time a second car passes by you are ready to say F&C$ It and come back with the wife or a drinking buddy and provide the drive by yourself.

I have two more ideas for a night cache, but until I actually figure out the final details I will hold on to them.