Listing cache contents in logs

d+n.s

I like to check up on the memorable caches I've found (or DNF) and see what they are up to. I'm learning a lot (people hate golf balls for example, sorry guys ;) )as I go and I get some enjoyment out of seeing other people's experiences with them. Its a nice thing to do when I'm stuck at work unable to geocache.

VERY Often when I find a cache the coins from the most recent log are all suddenly missing. Other times I put something in there and wonder if anyone will take it.

This got me thinking...

In my future logs I'm considering listing all the items contained in the cache currently when I find it. Of course, I would encrypt them so that people can still enjoy the thrill of being suprised by the contents of a cache.

I was thinking of doing it like this:

LOG:

Blah blah tftc! tnln! blaha;a;a

Current cache contents:

(insert encryted list)

I don't expect other people to start doing it, but I know I would enjoy it so why not? There may be more freaks like me out there (I don't really even care about trading, I usually just drop something in) who might also like to get an update on the contents

So here is my question, is there some sort of taboo here I am overlooking? It probably seems silly, but some of the stuff that riles people up on the forums sometimes suprises me so I thought I would check before I go out and accidently "ruin the sport" or whatever :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by d+n.shults

I don't think it will catch on like a "get an update on the contents" thing.

For one thing, many geocoins as travel bugs go missing because of improper or no logging at all, even with mechanisms to place those items in inventory. What makes one think that "updating" SWAG would or could result in something better?

No disrespect intended, but I see this as unnecessary log gibberish, having nothing to do with finding the cache or the experience.

While the idea may have some merit in alerting the next cacher interested in SWAG, I think you will find the percentage of cachers interested in "keeping it going" will fall somewhere between .01% and .1%! Too, it just seems to fall back onto that "treasure hunt" perception. ;)

TFTS (thanks for the suggestion) anyway. :)

I don't think it will catch on like a "get an update on the contents" thing.

For one thing, many geocoins as travel bugs go missing because of improper or no logging at all, even with mechanisms to place those items in inventory. What makes one think that "updating" SWAG would or could result in something better?

No disrespect intended, but I see this as unnecessary log gibberish, having nothing to do with finding the cache or the experience.

While the idea may have some merit in alerting the next cacher interested in SWAG, I think you will find the percentage of cachers interested in "keeping it going" will fall somewhere between .01% and .1%! Too, it just seems to fall back onto that "treasure hunt" perception. :)

TFTS (thanks for the suggestion) anyway. :D

:D

Its hard not to take offense when you clearly didn't read my OP very closely. This isn't a terribly friendly forum.

Sounds tedious, and boring. But it will get you a high words per find count! And I'd imagine that a lot of people would stop reading your logs. But, if it floats your boat, go for it!

GC286Q2 (The worst cache I have ever seen btw)

This doesn't really read any more tedious than any other log to me. If people stopped reading my logs because of some clearly labeled encrypted info at the bottom, I would assume they were a pretty busy! :D

Either way, like I said in the OP its only there for people who are curious if their stuff got traded or whatever. I don't really do the trading thing, but I do like to check up on certain cache would be curious about if anyone took that stupid granola bar. ;)

I'm sure someone else in Austin would be curious too. I just was seeing if people were overly"spoiler sensitive" about this sort of thing or whatever. Obviously not!

Thanks

see you guys in another life.

Edited by d+n.shults

I'm considering listing all the items contained in the cache currently when I find it.

Sounds good to me. Sometimes I take a picture of cache contents, to post with the log. If something's missing (no Travelers when some are listed), I often note that.

I also sometimes photograph the contents for my log, but I agree with the others that creating a list would be tedious. First you'd have to write everything down at the cache site and some caches have a LOT of stuff.

But to answer the OP's question, no it doesn't violate any sort of taboo. If you want to do it, go for it.

Edited by briansnat

I'm considering listing all the items contained in the cache currently when I find it.

Sounds good to me. Sometimes I take a picture of cache contents, to post with the log. If something's missing (no Travelers when some are listed), I often note that.

I also sometimes photograph the contents for my log, but I agree with the others that creating a list would be tedious. First you'd have to write everything down at the cache site and some caches have a LOT of stuff.

But to answer the OP's question, no it doesn't violate any sort of taboo. If you want to do it, go for it.

cool, sounds good.

So far I haven't had to write anything down. I cache with my wife whose memory is uncanny. I don't think I'll bother with it on days where I snag a bunch in a single day. Just when it makes sense. Plus I type pretty quick I guess so its not a huge deal to log it.

Its probably somethng I'll stop doing once I have some of my own caches ;)

When my daughter was younger, she would like to find caches that were filled with things, she enjoyed trading and finding larger caches with items in them. Those type of caches became harder to find and eventually she lost interest in that part of the game. While I don't see any reason to list all the contents of most caches, it might be nice to note that a particular cache has lots of trading items. It can make a difference in what to do with kids.

At one time, it was relatively popular for owners to list the contents of caches when they were placed. However, most caches now seem to start out with very little (at least in my area) and contents tend to degrade rather quickly. It might get a little tedious to list contents in this kind of situation.

As a cache owner, all my caches start with things that either my daughter or I would think is fun. But there is only one or two themed caches that I am willing to replenish on a regular basis. As I finder it would not make that much difference to me except in the situation described above. But if it is something you want to do, by all means do it.