Hiding a cache

Bigd74

I have seen some cache descriptions in surrey bc listed as approved by the city and others that do not. Do I need to get approval from the city? I went to the cities website and it says you need to show them where you plan to put it, but they are only available while I am at work. What should I do? I know legally I should get approval but what does everybody else thing?

Right or wrong, I think it's a darn shame you have to ask permission. Big Brother has to know everything. The reason it's a Geocache is because it's a little hidden treasure. It's not they are a big eyesore. Laws are made for the few but apply to the many. I feel it's in the grey area. Kinda like making it illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk. I even see the bike police doing it. Most city kids learn to ride, on a sidewalk. But they have to make the law so if a kid hits an elderly person walking on the sidewalk he'll be at fault. So if you hide your cache where someone might get hurt by it, the city has recourse.

I have seen some cache descriptions in surrey bc listed as approved by the city and others that do not. Do I need to get approval from the city? I went to the cities website and it says you need to show them where you plan to put it, but they are only available while I am at work. What should I do? I know legally I should get approval but what does everybody else thing?

You could try asking in your local geocaching forum. The BC cachers have a forum. Not sure if there is a seperate one for Surry or the Vancouver area.

What difference does it make what any of us think? Your city/town/area wants you to get permission so that's what you do. :rolleyes:

You could try asking in your local geocaching forum. The BC cachers have a forum. Not sure if there is a seperate one for Surry or the Vancouver area.

I put the same question on the bcgeocaching website, just seems slower over there.

What difference does it make what any of us think? Your city/town/area wants you to get permission so that's what you do. :rolleyes:

Just thought I would get input from other people. I have been involved in enough different hobbies to know some rules are just there to cover peoples bums and thought I see what others thought.

Edited by Bigd74

Right or wrong, I think it's a darn shame you have to ask permission. Big Brother has to know everything. The reason it's a Geocache is because it's a little hidden treasure. It's not they are a big eyesore. Laws are made for the few but apply to the many. I feel it's in the grey area. Kinda like making it illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk. I even see the bike police doing it. Most city kids learn to ride, on a sidewalk. But they have to make the law so if a kid hits an elderly person walking on the sidewalk he'll be at fault. So if you hide your cache where someone might get hurt by it, the city has recourse.

Well... somebody has to go OT...

A shame or not, d'ems da rules. While I could see many reasons for disagreeing with your entire statement, I won't.

I'll simply say that if it is that municipalities' rules, WE had best abide by them. If not well, there goes another area in which geocaching is banned. :rolleyes:

I sent off all the needed info to the people in charge and was told it was not acceptable location.They said to far off main trail yet it was going to be behind and under a stump that was on the side of the trail, no more than 3-4 feet to the backside where the cache would have gone. Funny considering I have found a bunch in Surrey that are way further off the main trail and in a way more environmentally sensitive areas.

Guess they would rather keep the park for teens to drink and leave garbage in then have peolpe that may clean up some of the trash there and take it out.

They want them no more then 2 feet from the main trail, I guess I either find somewhere in another city or just hide without permission. Although I would rather not do that.