Buying an Oregon 450

We jumped off the Magellan ship and are totally Garmin users now.

We would like to know

What size mini sd card are the 450 users using?

Cigarette lighter adapter, yes or No ?

What type of Rechargeable batteries?

What other assessories?

Maps?

US and Canada?

Any info appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

4GB
No - I use a purpose built automotive unit for driving.
Powergenix NiZn - no more compass calibration!
Maps?
Free topos at gpsfiledepot.com. OSM if you need routables. Edited by ecanderson

4GB
Maps?
Free topos at gpsfiledepot.com. OSM if you need routables.

I have a cigarette lighter adapter for mine, doesn't charge it up, obviously, but it powers it just fine in the car to avoid running down the batteries

4GB

8GB - and it is MicroSD, not MiniSD

While I have a purpose-built auto GPS, I do sometimes get lazy about pulling it out and use the Garmin instead. I have a generic "Speck" brand car power adapter that is designed for Nuvis/TomToms but works fine with the Oregon, and also charges HTC phones without problems. (My phone is an AT&T Tilt.)

IIRC, Garmin chargers will power HTC devices well, but not vice versa. (HTC devices ground one pin on the mini-USB connector, Garmin ties it to ground via a specific resistance. HTC devices treat that resistance as a ground, but Garmins treat a straight ground as "not a charger" I think.)

I use ultra low self discharge (aka pre-charged, aka "hybrid") NiMH cells with a MaHa MH-C9000 charger.

What's this about no more compass cal? Is the compass known to go un-cal with NiMHs? That might explain the one big frustration I have with my unit (compass loses cal frequently.)

Maps?
Free topos at gpsfiledepot.com. OSM if you need routables.

Topos from gpsfiledepot

Garmin Custom Maps rasters generated myself

I do happen to have a copy of City Navigator, but most people are fine without it

While I have a purpose-built auto GPS, I do sometimes get lazy about pulling it out and use the Garmin instead. I have a generic "Speck" brand car power adapter that is designed for Nuvis/TomToms but works fine with the Oregon, and also charges HTC phones without problems. (My phone is an AT&T Tilt.)

I use HTC car adapter with my Oregon 300 just fine, it seems to be a great combination. I've actually read somewhere about it and bought just for this reason, and I'm happy with it...

What's this about no more compass cal? Is the compass known to go un-cal with NiMHs? That might explain the one big frustration I have with my unit (compass loses cal frequently.)

The compass needs to be recalibrated when the voltage changes. NiZn has a high starting voltage and a fairly flat discharge curve. Perhaps there is a regulator or zener diode pulling down the voltage to a certain level to prevent circuits from frying - I don't have any NiZn and I can't testify to the compass not requiring constant recalibration.

Yup. Looked at the discharge profile Powergenix was claiming for their NiZn cells and decided to give them a try. They start "hot" (about like a lithium cell) and the voltage is very flat during use until they just sort of drop off a cliff when they're discharged. Good to have a spare set handy since there's really no warning.

Since the electronic compass chips in these Garmin units (both 2D and 3D versions) appear to be quite voltage sensitive, they tend to whack out as the voltage drops on your cells with use, and whack out again if you have recalibrated at the low voltage and toss another freshly charged set in. The discharge profile on the NiZn cells is so flat that once calibrated with them, I haven't had need to recal my Dakota 20 once since then.

Ran an entire caching day today from about 10:00am to 8:20pm on one freshly charged pair. I doubt they had much gas left at that point, but they do hold up well during the course of a day. Time will tell if I get the number of charge cycles I'd like to see (aka "life"). Have had them in use for about 75 caching days and that many recharges.

The only gotcha is that due to the chemistry, you can't approach them as you would a NiMH, so my Lacrosse charger can't be used. They come with their own charger. It's a decent unit -- treats each cell individually as a good charger should.

This is the 4 cell / charger combo I picked up: http://www.amazon.com/PowerGenix-ZR-PGX1HR...0939&sr=8-1

Extra cells run about $2.38 each: http://www.amazon.com/PowerGenix-ZRPGX-AA8...0939&sr=8-2

What I'm really looking forward to trying is the cold temperature operation with these cells. NiMH voltages drop into the bucket at cold temperatures. These NiZn cells start high enough that the cold temperature drop may not be nearly so noticeable. We'll find out when the weather changes in the fall.

Edited by ecanderson

I have a 4 Gig miniSD

No need for anything larger at the moment

I use the free California Topo and OSM Routable maps from the online sites

I use the Eneloop NiMH batteries and the LaCrosse BC-9009 programmable charger/discharger/renewer

I dont have the car adapter but may get it down the road as it would be helpful when Im driving to find caches and hate to waste the batty.

I also use my nuvi680 for car navigation and use the nuvi TourGuide macro feature to "ding" me when I get close to a cache as well to help resolve that issue

works for me

We jumped off the Magellan ship and are totally Garmin users now.

We would like to know

What other assessories?

Maps?

US and Canada?

Any info appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

I've been caching for about 2.5 weeks now on my Oregon 450, including 2 Wherigo caches.

I'm using California TOPO maps downloaded from GPSFileDepot and installed using Basecamp

4 GB sim card, 25% used by TOPO maps.

I have about 1,500 Geocaches loaded into the memory of the Oregon over 4 separate GPX files (named according to area)

Verdict:

Lousy for navigating while driving, don't even try it. Get a Nuvi or older GPS which has a more readable display for driving navigation.

On the trail it's worth its weight in gold. Not as miserly on batteries as my old GPSMap 60C, but does pretty well. I'm using NiZn cells, alternating to NiMH when they are exhausted. Always carry more spares than you think you will need. Topo maps are gems and the ability to turn on and off through settings is quite nice. Paperless caching FTW! It's great to read the cache page, a few logs and the hint, if it comes to that. It's like I was once caching with my head in a bucket. Now the light is on.

Any caches loaded in as Waypoints need to be sought separately from the GEOCACHES.

Belt clips for the backpack are nice for holding the Oregon while I'm hiking along.

--

Also received notice in the email this morning that my Rebate Request is being processed. I can really use that money for GW8 :)

Edited by DragonsWest

I've been caching for about 2.5 weeks now on my Oregon 450, including 2 Wherigo caches.

I'm using California TOPO maps downloaded from GPSFileDepot and installed using Basecamp

4 GB sim card, 25% used by TOPO maps.

I have about 1,500 Geocaches loaded into the memory of the Oregon over 4 separate GPX files (named according to area)

Verdict:

Lousy for navigating while driving, don't even try it. Get a Nuvi or older GPS which has a more readable display for driving navigation.

On the trail it's worth its weight in gold. Not as miserly on batteries as my old GPSMap 60C, but does pretty well. I'm using NiZn cells, alternating to NiMH when they are exhausted. Always carry more spares than you think you will need. Topo maps are gems and the ability to turn on and off through settings is quite nice. Paperless caching FTW! It's great to read the cache page, a few logs and the hint, if it comes to that. It's like I was once caching with my head in a bucket. Now the light is on.

Any caches loaded in as Waypoints need to be sought separately from the GEOCACHES.

Belt clips for the backpack are nice for holding the Oregon while I'm hiking along.

--

Also received notice in the email this morning that my Rebate Request is being processed. I can really use that money for GW8 ;)

IMO the Oregon's driving mode is sufficient and not "lousy", but it isn't optimal either. For the price of City Navigator maps you can purchase a Nuvi that will do the job much better.

Compared to a Nuvi it might be considered lousy, but as someone who has used various versions of DeLorme Street Atlas Handheld, a PN-20, and a PN-40, I can tell you - the Oregon's road navigation features are far ahead of the competition.

IMO the Oregon's driving mode is sufficient and not "lousy", but it isn't optimal either. For the price of City Navigator maps you can purchase a Nuvi that will do the job much better.

Compared to a Nuvi it might be considered lousy, but as someone who has used various versions of DeLorme Street Atlas Handheld, a PN-20, and a PN-40, I can tell you - the Oregon's road navigation features are far ahead of the competition.

Agree, FAR from lousy. Used as my primary car unit for a long time now. Its actually very good.

Agree, FAR from lousy. Used as my primary car unit for a long time now. Its actually very good.

+1

I've used my Oregon (with City Navigator NA maps loaded on the unit) as my car unit since I bought it more than a year ago. It's guided me through half a dozen different states and more than 12,000 miles with nary a problem. I would highly recommend the Oregon as a car unit.

--Larry

My dislike of the Oregon 450 for driving is due to the dimness of the display.

If I ran it off the car's electrical system with the light turned up it would be better, but it's still a tiny display. Frequently in heavy California traffic, I strongly dislike taking my eyes from the road. A large, bright disply, such as the Nuvi have is desirable in such conditions. People change lanes stupidly, as one car did this very morning.

Car behind me, changes lane left, passes me, tries to merge right to go on ramp, crossing two lanes of traffic, less than .25 miles from where they changed lanes = stupid & reckless. Seriously, you need to keep your eyes on the road for these sorts of knuckleheads. Try reading a 2.5" display while this happens and you're waiting for the CHP to record the particulars, write YOU a ticket because YOU hit the moron who loves changing lanes and then possibly have your car towed. - this was one of those peabrains who tailgate and count every foot of the pave, to whom passing one more car before exiting the highway in .25 miles is always a sensible option.

On the trail the display is more usable, though can be vexing in partial shade, as I try to find the best light to read it in, often resorting to the shade and enabling the backlighting - which I usually leave off to conserve batteries.

Two hikes on the weekend, about 3 miles and about 10 miles, both without running down one set of cells and finding about 15 caches. Very nice being able to turn TOPO lines on and off easily.

If I ran it off the car's electrical system with the light turned up it would be better, but it's still a tiny display.

I use Garmin's Vehicle Power Cable, which keeps the backlight on while I'm using it in the car. The display is nice and bright, and I've never had a problem with the size of the display.

A unit designed for in-car use certainly has its advantages, but if you're like me and don't want to have to buy two units, one for the car and one for the trails, I think the Oregon does a terrific job in both situations.

--Larry

If I ran it off the car's electrical system with the light turned up it would be better, but it's still a tiny display.

I use Garmin's Vehicle Power Cable, which keeps the backlight on while I'm using it in the car. The display is nice and bright, and I've never had a problem with the size of the display.

A unit designed for in-car use certainly has its advantages, but if you're like me and don't want to have to buy two units, one for the car and one for the trails, I think the Oregon does a terrific job in both situations.

--Larry

I use the old GPSMap 60C for navigation, it's still excellent for that one thing.

I use the old GPSMap 60C for navigation, it's still excellent for that one thing.

Before I bought my Oregon, I used a 60CSx as my workhorse GPSr, both in the car and on the trail. Earlier, you complained about the size of the Oregon display for use in the car. How is the size of the display on your 60C better than the Oregon display? I haven't fired up my 60CSx since the day I started using my Oregon.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

If I ran it off the car's electrical system with the light turned up it would be better, but it's still a tiny display. Frequently in heavy California traffic, I strongly dislike taking my eyes from the road. A large, bright disply, such as the Nuvi have is desirable in such conditions. People change lanes stupidly, as one car did this very morning.

Car behind me, changes lane left, passes me, tries to merge right to go on ramp, crossing two lanes of traffic, less than .25 miles from where they changed lanes = stupid & reckless. Seriously, you need to keep your eyes on the road for these sorts of knuckleheads. Try reading a 2.5" display while this happens and you're waiting for the CHP to record the particulars, write YOU a ticket because YOU hit the moron who loves changing lanes and then possibly have your car towed. - this was one of those peabrains who tailgate and count every foot of the pave, to whom passing one more car before exiting the highway in .25 miles is always a sensible option.

On the trail the display is more usable, though can be vexing in partial shade, as I try to find the best light to read it in, often resorting to the shade and enabling the backlighting - which I usually leave off to conserve batteries.

Two hikes on the weekend, about 3 miles and about 10 miles, both without running down one set of cells and finding about 15 caches. Very nice being able to turn TOPO lines on and off easily.

That and the lack of voice prompts are the main deficiencies of the Garmin when driving.

In my area, the Oregon is OK because traffic isn't too bad. If driving in the LA area - you really need the large display of a Nuvi/TomTom and it needs to be dashtop or windshield mounted.

That and the lack of voice prompts are the main deficiencies of the Garmin when driving.

In my area, the Oregon is OK because traffic isn't too bad. If driving in the LA area - you really need the large display of a Nuvi/TomTom and it needs to be dashtop or windshield mounted.

Couple of driving tips for the LA area...

Most people hike faster than traffic moves in LA. :)

Voice prompts, AKA as "Gabby the backseat driver" can be distracting while driving. A quick glance at a screen just like checking your mirrors isn't that big a deal. Just don't play those GPS games.:cry:

Also, windshield mounts are illegal in California, they can become projectiles at the 'blazing high speeds" we drive in an accident, and also alert smash-n-grab artists that there might be something worth stealing in your vehicle. :P

Edited by coggins

Also, windshield mounts are illegal in California, they can become projectiles at the 'blazing high speeds" we drive in an accident, and also alert smash-n-grab artists that there might be something worth stealing in your vehicle. :)

Windshield mounts aren't illegal in my area, but I would never use one in my car: Around here, GPS units are a big favorite with smash-and-grab thieves. If a thief so much as spots the outline left by a suction cup on someone's windshield, it's incentive to break into the car to find out what goodies might be hidden inside.

--Larry

Before I bought my Oregon, I used a 60CSx as my workhorse GPSr, both in the car and on the trail. Earlier, you complained about the size of the Oregon display for use in the car. How is the size of the display on your 60C better than the Oregon display? I haven't fired up my 60CSx since the day I started using my Oregon.

--Larry

Not so much the display size, but the lower resolution is actually considerably easier to see. Roads show bold enough to easily see. The fine lines on my Oregon 450 are less than ideal, particularly as I almost need reading glasses to make them out. So easy to see I seldom need backlight, unless outside light is poor.