New Phone Arriving Tuesday

Hello.

My work have upgraded my phone to an HTC Legend as of Tuesday. Is there an app that someone can recommend for me to go paperless or can I use this phone to look straight on Geocaching.com?

I am not bothered about the phone GPSr capability as I will keep using my MAP 60SCx.

Thank you

Munch

Hello.

My work have upgraded my phone to an HTC Legend as of Tuesday. Is there an app that someone can recommend for me to go paperless or can I use this phone to look straight on Geocaching.com?

I am not bothered about the phone GPSr capability as I will keep using my MAP 60SCx.

Thank you

Munch

I use SmartGPX on my Nokia 5800. It enables me to go paperless (I still take my OS maps though !). Like you I don't use the 'phone itself for GPS duties, I just use it for handling the caches, hints etc.

It is simple and free and they will soon have a version out for your android OS.

Regards

Sub

I've used OpenGPX on Android (which is what the Legend runs) which seems to work quite well, another option would be (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak). This makes use and offers naviation as well, which i know you said you weren't interested in but is simply an extra feature. (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) also lets you download caches on the fly, so quite useful if you find an opportunity for caching you weren't prepared for.

This program also ties directly into the new Google Navigation app which offers satnav, simply find a cache u like and click Navigate and then program will give you the driving directions to the cache (or a parking child waypoint if you so choose).

I use (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) (without the spaces - it took the word out when I typed it without spaces) on my HTC Tattoo. My brother used to use something like beagle but he has gone onto (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) as he said it is better.

Helen

Edited by mtn-man
Clearly Groundspeak have issues with some of these applications as they are unofficial.

So they clearly have something on the plan for Android?

Anyone any ideas?

Yes, there is an application being tested right now for the Android phone. Hopefully it will be released soon.

...(without the spaces - it took the word out when I typed it without spaces) ...

Yes, it did take the word out. What it replaced it with before you edited your post was (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) . That should have been a hint that the application is not approved for use. Using it could cause your account to be terminated for Terms of Use violations due to unauthorized scraping of the site. If you would respect the wishes of the site, you would stop using it. What is really sad is that you read that the applications is unauthorized and knowingly changed your post to still get the name of the unauthorized program you are using into your post. :rolleyes:

Clearly Groundspeak have issues with some of these applications as they are unofficial.

So they clearly have something on the plan for Android?

Anyone any ideas?

Yes, there is an application being tested right now for the Android phone. Hopefully it will be released soon.

Thanks Boss.

Anywhere we can find some news on what version it will need etc?

Edited by The Other Stu
Yes, it did take the word out. What it replaced it with before you edited your post was (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) . That should have been a hint that the application is not approved for use

I actually thought it was because of the C: I know some message boards don't like some strange things. I had no idea what I had suggested was wrong. I don't think I have EVER read anything anywhere that says these apps aren't approved.

I apologise for it but as I said, I had no idea and I wasn't attempting to cause trouble.

I look forward to the Android app coming out soon then.

Helen

My phone contract ends in a couple of weeks. I really can't decide whether to stay with Android and get a HTC Desire or go down the iPhone route.............

I've just gone from an N97 to an HTC Desire, you won't believe just how good it is.

Have a look at some youtube videos and checkout the reviews.

I think it is the phone to finally topple the Iphone.Get an unbranded one though, to make sure you get all firmware updates as soon as they are released.