Using a Car GPS to get to a cache!

Just wondering if the Car GPS is getting Folks in trouble trying to get you close to a start point. Is that working out for you or creating some interesting stories that make you do better research before going. I have had some interesting times on back roads wonder what the car GPS will do next. What about you!

I use a TomTom for geocaching and it works fine. Have my Pocket Queries showing as points of interest on the map display. If a cache is far enough off of the road that my position doesn't snap to a road (annoying problem with geocaching with a TomTom) then it is super easy. I just zoom in in the Browse Map view and walk until I'm right on top of the cache icon in the display. Super accurate that way. If it is close to a road I just load it in a program called OffRoad Navigator that runs on TomToms. This displays a distance and arrow for direction to go to get to the cache. Works flawlessly, too.

And it is super simple to navigate to one of the POI icons in a car. You just hit Navigate to and pick the geocache you want to go to. It gives great turn by turn directions by car. I love it. The only downside is you have to be careful carrying it around because they aren't as rugged and you can damage it by dropping it if it lands wrong (I know from experience--I'm on my second TomTom).

Edited by pwatts14

Mine can switch off the "snap to road" feature. It's actually a phone - Nokia 6110 Navigator. Now I have my Garmin, I use the Nokia to navigate me on the roads, then the Garmin to get me to the cache.

Prior to getting teh Garmin, the Nokia worked well at zeroing in on the cache. It was just annoying that I had to type in coords rather than download them.

Generally we use the nuvi to navigate for driving, and then take the handheld out, but my husband doesn't like me to take the handheld when I go out caching by myself (he's protective of it). I don''t have a lot of problems getting to cache locations with the nuvi, but occasionally I get put on the wrong side of a river...

The funniest though, is that it's convinced that there is a street called "Hatton lane" through our neighbor's garage, and it always wants us to take it to get to the highway... oh well.