Controlling what gets put onto PDA

I've recieved my new PDA now (Axim x51) and I've been trying to work out the best way to do paperless caching.

I've downloaded a number of progs:- BeelineGPS, BasicGPS, GCzII on the PDA and GSAK for the PC. I can't work out how to do a couple of things.

I prefer GCzII the most so far, so i'd like to use that if possible. I'd like to be able to upload a gpx to the PDA and have it include description, hint and a number of logs that I can decide.

As it stand I can get the gpx file loaded in GCzII but there are only 5 logs showing for each cache, and none of the static maps/images are included. Can someone give me a tip on how to do this?? I figure I can load the gpx into GSAK and then change a couple of settings, reload it as a gpx and send it to the PDA that way, is this right?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Edited by harryflashman

You may be happy with exporting a HTML file with GSAK. You can chose from multiple options on the export. Here are a few screenshots:

d7c43bd02be7e3a719b521e828cac853.png2f190e4c3ae13e41b7bafafb71a69212.png

I place this export in my documents. GSAK will name the folder Cache. You can rename it afterward. Connect your PDA or copy the file over to your SD card if you are using one.

A second option is use GPX Sonar and export a gpx file with GSAK and copy that export to the pda.

Both ways work great for me. I probably use GPX Sonar but the HTML is hard to beat.

as for GCzII, it supports showing map views, i.e. the area of the cache on google maps, but GCzII is meant to be used from a device that's online, such as a smartphone. when looking at cache pages on an online device, or when importing an GPX on an online device, it can download the maps from google and save them onto the device for later viewing. but you don't get them from the GPX file alone.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I didn't realize that 5 was the max number of comments that were included with a gpx file from a PQ, so I guess I was getting greedy hehe.

Thanks for the info about GCzII, dfx, I didn't know if there was a way for the program to aggregate all of the info (pics etc) while I had an internet connection, and then save it to the SD so I could see the images etc while out hunting for caches.

Thanks also ms007s, I'll give your suggestions a try. Don't be surprised if you see some more "help!?!" threads from me as although I have a basic understanding of GSAK, i really am just blundering through it without actually knowing what's going on.

Thanks again to everyone who responded :D

If you have GSAK and run regular Pocket Queries GSAK can be set to export up to 100 logs of the caches in your database (if you have that many saved!).

How do I do this Bear and Ragged? When I click Export>GPX/LOC File and then select 100 in the "number of logs to export" I still only get 5 logs when I access that file. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I didn't realize that 5 was the max number of comments that were included with a gpx file from a PQ, so I guess I was getting greedy hehe.

Thanks for the info about GCzII, dfx, I didn't know if there was a way for the program to aggregate all of the info (pics etc) while I had an internet connection, and then save it to the SD so I could see the images etc while out hunting for caches.

Thanks also ms007s, I'll give your suggestions a try. Don't be surprised if you see some more "help!?!" threads from me as although I have a basic understanding of GSAK, i really am just blundering through it without actually knowing what's going on.

Thanks again to everyone who responded :)

If your pda has an internet connection, GCzII can "Reload Cache" If you have set GCzII to have 20 logs, it will grab 20 logs. You can set it to however many logs you want.

Thanks again to everyone who responded :)

If your pda has an internet connection, GCzII can "Reload Cache" If you have set GCzII to have 20 logs, it will grab 20 logs. You can set it to however many logs you want.

Is there a way to run a PQ through GSAK or any other program to increase the log number to more than 5?

If you have GSAK and run regular Pocket Queries GSAK can be set to export up to 100 logs of the caches in your database (if you have that many saved!).

How do I do this Bear and Ragged? When I click Export>GPX/LOC File and then select 100 in the "number of logs to export" I still only get 5 logs when I access that file. Am I missing something?

Thanks

You have to run your PQ's long enough to get 100 logs!

I think if you set it to a high number eg 100, and you only have 7 logs on a cache, that is how many will be exported.

It may take a long time to get 100 logs on a cache.

PQ's only get the last 5

GPX file download from the cache page will get you the last 20 logs.

Run a PQ weekly -and hope the cache gets 5 or more visits a week -and in 10 weeks you will only have 50 logs... 70 if you download the GPX file to start with. That has to be a well visited cache for that many logs!!!

I usually limit logs to the last 3 or 4.

IF someone leaves a rather telling log (ie a good hint) the log can be posted as a note in GSAK, which will be added to the top of the cache logs when you export them.

Thanks

You have to run your PQ's long enough to get 100 logs!

I think if you set it to a high number eg 100, and you only have 7 logs on a cache, that is how many will be exported.

It may take a long time to get 100 logs on a cache.

PQ's only get the last 5

GPX file download from the cache page will get you the last 20 logs.

Run a PQ weekly -and hope the cache gets 5 or more visits a week -and in 10 weeks you will only have 50 logs... 70 if you download the GPX file to start with. That has to be a well visited cache for that many logs!!!

I usually limit logs to the last 3 or 4.

IF someone leaves a rather telling log (ie a good hint) the log can be posted as a note in GSAK, which will be added to the top of the cache logs when you export them.

You are correct, B&R. If you set the upper limit of exported logs to 25, 50, 100, or whatever, you will only get as many as you have cumulatively downloaded.

Each time you get a PQ and bring it in to GSAK it will add any new logs to ones you already have on file, provided you do not delete all data when bringing in new PQ's. Overtime you build up a library of logs depending on how old the caches are, how long you've been getting them in your PQ's, how often the caches get activity, etc. You may only have 2 in 1 cache because it got placed a couple of days before your last PQ which another cache has been out there a while and gets found often and you've built up a history of 30 logs.