wondering witch i should get

OK so i want to get a new GPS and am looking for a cheaper on since i am just starting out. I am trying to decide between a Garmin Etrex H or Garmin Etrex venture HC. Can i get some opinions, also i will be using this with a map later on when i work on my masters degree mostly for marking locations and then transferring onto a large map. would the mapping help with this if for instance i had a topo map installed on my GPS.

OK so i want to get a new GPS and am looking for a cheaper on since i am just starting out. I am trying to decide between a Garmin Etrex H or Garmin Etrex venture HC. Can i get some opinions, also i will be using this with a map later on when i work on my masters degree mostly for marking locations and then transferring onto a large map. would the mapping help with this if for instance i had a topo map installed on my GPS.

If you're going to confine yourself to the H and the HC then for sure, get the HC! Colour adds such a lot to a small gps screen. And the price difference is so minute between the H and the HC anyway. What, maybe $40?

But if you want to load much in the way of mapping, you may want to spend a few dollars more and get an HCx instead - with its MicroSD card, you can load tons of maps.

I am trying to decide between a Garmin Etrex H or Garmin Etrex venture HC. Can i get some opinions, also i will be using this with a map later on when i work on my masters degree mostly for marking locations and then transferring onto a large map. would the mapping help with this if for instance i had a topo map installed on my GPS.

Having map on the GPSr can help, but I find that on the eTrex's small screen, it is not as useful as a larger display (e.g. Garmin Oregon). For your purpose, I don't think it is essential. I did load some (free) street map onto my Venture HC.

Between the eTrex H and the Venture HC, you definitely want the Venture HC. The eTrex H is a serial only unit, meaning you need either a RS-232 port on your computer, or a USB to serial converter. The eTrex H cannot display maps. Both of them can capture waypoints and tracks.