Can Several Wherigos be played in the same park

JohnE5

In my area there is one huge park that is perfect for Wherigo playing. No benches, trees, playgrounds or anything that could stop a Wherigo game.

Could I have several Wherigo games starting point all in the middle of this park (idealy in a circle to look good on the map), but have the physical caches follow the guidelines of .1 miles from another physical cache? Even if that is a half mile to a mile away from the park?

Firstly, don't forget that Wherigo is not meant to be about geocaching. A cartridge doesn't have to end in a cache. There is no review process for cartridges, so you can have 50 of them all on the same field if you want.

The proximity rules apply to caches as if there was no Wherigo involved. If you pretend that the Wherigo cartridge has been replaced with the paper instructions of a multicache, you'll be on the right track. So: 0.1 miles between caches and/or other physical stages, should your Wherigo have them ("go into zone 3 and find the micro with the password, then enter it here"), except that stages of a single cache can be closer together than that.

By the way, isn't your area around where someone wrote "NO CLUE" on the map? What was that about, anyway? I thought that odd when I first saw it some time ago.

No, I'm in Lemoore, Ca. I saw that series after some other caches were placed that messed it up a little. I was just thinking of making a circle.

By the way, isn't your area around where someone wrote "NO CLUE" on the map? What was that about, anyway? I thought that odd when I first saw it some time ago.

I remember reading about that somewhere in the forums. It started out (I think) as someone paying tribute to the game Clue so they spelled out CLUE with geocaches. Then as a joke, someone else came back and added the NO at the beginning, resulting in the NO CLUE written out across the land in geocache placements.

Firstly, don't forget that Wherigo is not meant to be about geocaching. A cartridge doesn't have to end in a cache. There is no review process for cartridges, so you can have 50 of them all on the same field if you want.

The proximity rules apply to caches as if there was no Wherigo involved. If you pretend that the Wherigo cartridge has been replaced with the paper instructions of a multicache, you'll be on the right track. So: 0.1 miles between caches and/or other physical stages, should your Wherigo have them ("go into zone 3 and find the micro with the password, then enter it here"), except that stages of a single cache can be closer together than that.

I have questions with this statement? I tryed to publish a Wherigo game and the reviewer told me that I "Have to have a container and a Log Book" at the final location! I can see that if you just upload a cartridge to the Wherigo site then No you don't need a cache but you loose the exposure of publishing your game. Read the Groundspeak cache listing rules where Wherigo is listed.

My thoughts - It's a Wherigo game "vertual" in most, why not a "vertual" end?

Edited by Mickey and Goofy

Wherigo cartridges get uploaded (and "published") at Wherigo.com, not on geocaching.com. only if you have a container with a log at the end, you can turn it into a "Wherigo geocache" and can have it listed and published on geocaching.com.

if you'd allow Wherigo cartridges without geocaches on geocaching.com, then there would be no need for a seperate Wherigo website. also you'd have to allow other containerless "cache" types, such as virtual caches again.

My thoughts - It's a Wherigo game "vertual" in most, why not a "vertual" end?

I suspect that you don't know all of the history here. Wherigo was launched in January 2008 as a completely separate game from Geocaching. Of course, people quickly realised that you could use Wherigo as a way to lead people to a cache. For the first few weeks those were published as "Mystery" caches. Then, Groundspeak decided to create a specific Wherigo cache type. In my opinion, that was probably a mistake in that it conflated the two games. (Of course, if they hadn't done that, Wherigo might be even less well-known than it is today.)

So by creating a Wherigo cartridge without a cache, you are actually meeting the original spirit of Wherigo, plus you don't need a reviewer. Of course, that limits your listing to Wherigo.com.

Personally, I would like to see the stats for each site reflected on every Groundspeak site. So my found log on a cache would say "Found by sTeamTraen (5319 geocaches found, 11 Waymarks placed/dicsovered, 6 Wherigo cartridges played)".