Garmin 60CSx and Maps

Hi there folks,

I'm new to the geocaching business and new to this forum, but it looks like the perfect place to come for help.

I am looking to buy a GPS unit (my first) and have set my sights on a nice little Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. I plan on using it for geocaching, cycling and hiking, does anyone feel that the choice I have made isn't so good for the uses that i will nedd it for.

Also, I live in scotland so would it be worth buying the TOPO Scotland map aswell, or am I best to leave that out. I am looking for sugestions on all this, any help or advice will be fantastic.

Thanks

Brad :P

If you could afford it, the Dakota/Oregan is a get bet providing you get it with the OS maps to add on.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming...

I was looking into an Oregon but as cycling will be my most common use for the GPS unit I decided agaist it, because the screen in direct sunlight is bad (so i've heard) and the GPSMap 60CSx also gives me the option for me to put in that I am on a bicycle (which I dont think the oregons do, or do they??)

I also thought about the Edge series (as that was developed for bike) but it has accuracy problems and screen again is to hard to see when cycling.

Thanks and any replies are welcome

The Legend or Vista (HCX models) are also good GPSRs that are suitable for use on a bike (they are slightly smaller than the 60CSX, but just as readable in sunlight). They also work with Garmin Topo or the OpenStreetMap maps that I compile for GB and Ireland (like Topo, these are routable and have contour data).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

If you could afford it, the Dakota/Oregan is a get bet providing you get it with the OS maps to add on.

I was looking into an Oregon but as cycling will be my most common use for the GPS unit I decided agaist it, because the screen in direct sunlight is bad (so i've heard) and the GPSMap 60CSx also gives me the option for me to put in that I am on a bicycle (which I dont think the oregons do, or do they??)

I also thought about the Edge series (as that was developed for bike) but it has accuracy problems and screen again is to hard to see when cycling.

I use a 60CSx on my bike using Garmin's handlebar mount. The GPSMap 60 series are very rugged, mine's been bounced down the track a few times and apart from a few scratches, it's fine. They are also waterproof so there's no panicking when it starts to rain. I use Garmin's Topo maps and while they don't show every little path, I've found them adequate for my needs.

I use a 60CSx on my bike using Garmin's handlebar mount. The GPSMap 60 series are very rugged, mine's been bounced down the track a few times and apart from a few scratches, it's fine. They are also waterproof so there's no panicking when it starts to rain. I use Garmin's Topo maps and while they don't show every little path, I've found them adequate for my needs.

Yeh, I'm set on getting the 60CSx for sure.

What are the points of interest like on the TOPO map do they have alot of them?

Also, what ways can you input a location you would like to go to e.g. If I was in my town centre and someone called me asking me to meet them somewhere how can I input the place I am wanting to go, can you type in a post code or street name/number for example.

Sorry for all the questions folks but as this is my first GPS I want to know as much as I can. :P

Yeh, I'm set on getting the 60CSx for sure.

What are the points of interest like on the TOPO map do they have alot of them?

Also, what ways can you input a location you would like to go to e.g. If I was in my town centre and someone called me asking me to meet them somewhere how can I input the place I am wanting to go, can you type in a post code or street name/number for example.

Sorry for all the questions folks but as this is my first GPS I want to know as much as I can. :P

The Topo maps have more POIs than you can shake a stick at. Check out the features HERE.

You enter locations into the 60CSx in the usual Lat/long and OSGB formats, irrespective of the map set loaded. If you have Topo (or one of the other Garmin maps sets, City Navigator, for instance) loaded then you search for a town/street/postcode and it will show you the location and give you co-ordinates. It will also route you there with specific turn by turn instructions (visual, not voice) if that is what you want.

The Topo maps have more POIs than you can shake a stick at. Check out the features HERE.

You enter locations into the 60CSx in the usual Lat/long and OSGB formats, irrespective of the map set loaded. If you have Topo (or one of the other Garmin maps sets, City Navigator, for instance) loaded then you search for a town/street/postcode and it will show you the location and give you co-ordinates. It will also route you there with specific turn by turn instructions (visual, not voice) if that is what you want.

Thanks very much. This is the kind of feature I am looking for as I do alot of cycling around the town and urban areas, and to know that I could also use it for geocaching and hiking makes the 60CSx the perfect GPS for me.

Thanks for all the replies and a special thanks to you Pharisee, you helped me big time. I am now confident I am buying the right GPS for me.

If anyone would like to add anything about the 60CSx that I may benifit from knowing please feel free to add it to this topic.

Thanks again

Brad

Also have a look at Openmtbmap.org if you are cycling, similar idea to Talky Toasters maps but configured for cycling - mountain bikes in particular. Just don't use these maps for routing over a long distance as it tries to take you over more scenic routes which can add a lot of miles on.

The Oregon does have a bicycle mode for the routing. I'm currently using a Oregon 550 on a bike, with the openmtbmap maps, and so far the screen has been fine. General use I keep the backlight set to turn off after 15 seconds. The 550 has a different screen to the 200 & 300 so can't say what they like.

Also have a look at Openmtbmap.org if you are cycling, similar idea to Talky Toasters maps but configured for cycling - mountain bikes in particular. Just don't use these maps for routing over a long distance as it tries to take you over more scenic routes which can add a lot of miles on.

The Oregon does have a bicycle mode for the routing. I'm currently using a Oregon 550 on a bike, with the openmtbmap maps, and so far the screen has been fine. General use I keep the backlight set to turn off after 15 seconds. The 550 has a different screen to the 200 & 300 so can't say what they like.

Hi, I was looking into getting an Oregon 550t, but I didn't think that it had the feature for you to input that you are on a bicycle. Below is a video I noticed on YouTube.

Could you tell me whether the Oregon has the features that this guy shows us in the video between 00.32 / 05.10 and more specifically, does it have the feature shown in the vid between 01.09 / 02.01. < those are times in the video :)

Thanks guys this is much appreciated :)

Edited by Brad_C_94

Ive got an Oregon 300 with the national Parks maps prepossessing. you can set different profiles on it including cycling its also waterproof. Ive not had too many issues over the screen, but it is angled towards me on the bike. If your specifically after good gps units for cycling have you tried asking on a cycling forum too?

Ive got an Oregon 300 with the national Parks maps prepossessing. you can set different profiles on it including cycling its also waterproof. Ive not had too many issues over the screen, but it is angled towards me on the bike. If your specifically after good gps units for cycling have you tried asking on a cycling forum too?

Any good cycle forum sugestions?

Any good cycle forum sugestions?

Singletrackworld.co.uk

Bikemagic.co.uk

The routing options on the Oregon allow changing Transport types, between Motorcar, Pedestrian and bicycle, and what types of road to avoid. The 60CSx has a lot more options in there.

Bicycle mode??? I've never noticed that on my Oregon 300 - or is it only on the more expensive models?

Just done a quick search and the results aren't clear. Some say it does have bicycle mode and others don't mention it. Don't have my GPSr to hand and so can't have a better look. Can anyone confirm either way?

The routing options on the Oregon allow changing Transport types, between Motorcar, Pedestrian and bicycle, and what types of road to avoid. The 60CSx has a lot more options in there.

Bicycle mode??? I've never noticed that on my Oregon 300 - or is it only on the more expensive models?

Just done a quick search and the results aren't clear. Some say it does have bicycle mode and others don't mention it. Don't have my GPSr to hand and so can't have a better look. Can anyone confirm either way?

Yes.

Routing>

Calculate Routes For>

'Optimize Route For Selected Vehicle'

Three options

Car/Motorcycle

Pedestrian

Bicycle

Yes.

Routing>

Calculate Routes For>

'Optimize Route For Selected Vehicle'

Three options

Car/Motorcycle

Pedestrian

Bicycle

Great! Thanks for that. Obviously a bad miss on my part.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've come down to three units, the 'Garmin Oregon 550t', 'Garmin Oregon 450t' and the 'Garmin GPSMap 60CSx'.

Any advice on what I should go for? What I will be using it for is;

i) Lots of 'Road Cycling', so it would need to be able to navigate through streets/towns etc

ii) Occationally using it for Geocaching.

thanks

Well folks, I have just purchased a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx which comes with City Navigator UK/Ireland and TOPO Scotland Map.

I think this will suffice to all my needs that I stated previously, coupled with the city navigator especially, this should get me around Glasgow and Edinburgh with ease.

Thanks for all the help previously and if anyone would like to add anything feel free.