best geocaches in Northumberland?

Hello

We are spending a few days in Northumberland soon, staying in Seahouses.

Can anyone recommend some special caches to visit, great views, clever hides, interesting locations.

There are so many to choose from

Thanks

Lou

There are many, many fine caches in that part of England but any set by Walker Dan will be worth a look.

Can anyone recommend some special caches to visit, great views, clever hides, interesting locations.

Hi Lou,

We have some great caches in Northumberland and I would certainly agree with the suggestions above.

I don't know if you are on a caching holiday or a family holiday and trying to squeeze in a few caches! You might want to visit Berwick, which isn't far from Seahouses, and is an interesting town. A good way to see it is by following the Lowery Trail series of caches around Berwick and Spittal and Tweedmouth on the other side of the river. Most are fairly easy micros but it's a good way to see the town and its history.

In the west of the county, Kielder Forst and Reservoir are worth a visit and there several caches in the area of varying difficulty. From Kielder, in the Summer, it is possible to drive the 14 miles through the forest to Byrness with a few caches on the way. Depending on how strenuous you want your walking to be, you can follow the Pennine Way from there and take in two great caches: Another Wee Cache (GC1VTCB) and Pennine Way - Houx Hill (GC1RVC4). The first will give you a good laugh :wub: and the views from both are great.

A nice family walk is Hareshaw Linn (GC1C52T) which is about a two mile round trip and will take you to what I think is the best waterfall in Northumberland. Not exactly Niagara Falls but worth seeing!!

Of course, if the weather's bad :blink: you can always spend a day in Newcastle where, of course, there are loads of caches!!!

Enjoy!!!! :P

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I shall make a note.

I am going with my OH and dog, I am the big geocacher and would spend all day, every day caching but he is not so keen so i try and locate caches that are in the vicinity of or on the way to other places of interest.

I always find local cache setters are the ideal local guides, take you to some wonderful locations you would never otherwise find.

Looking forward to our trip

Lou

Lou,

To add to my earlier message, I forgot to mention the Roman Wall which you might want to visit. The central part, in particular, is both interesting and picturesque and wherever you are you can almost guarantee that you are within 0.1mile of a cache! :)

Regards,

Phil

Hello

Thanks

Lou

I agree Linhope Spout cache in the Breamish Valley is a really lovely walk and takes you deep into the Northumberland National Park which at this time of year is beautiful and to be honest when we have been theres been hardly anyone about. Easy to park too.

Another of our favourites is GUYZANCE MEMORIAL The River Coquet Source to Sea cache - an oft overlooked and unheard of little memorial in a quiet and picturesque setting.

For wonderful coastal views and walks you could also try the AONB 2 - Rumbling Kern & Dunstanburgh Castle caches at Craster- you must stop at the smokehouse in the village for kippers . The Rumbling Kern cache takes you the opposite way to the castle cache and in my opinion a much nicer walk - with not so many muggles to encounter. Hope this helps