Website very slow to load lately

No matter what time of day or night, no matter which page I want, the site is very slow to load and at times locks up my browser (firefox version 3.6.3) or times out. This isnt happening on any other website I go to. This has been happening for a week or two. I had hoped that the recent fixes on this site would take care of the problem but it hasnt seemed to help. More often than not I have been giving up whatever cache search Im looking at to try later on. Can anyone tell me why this is happening or what can be done about it please?

I'm getting exactly the same here.

In particular, if I select a cache and attempt to look at the thumbnailed gallery images, these take an age to finally load. For example, the cache I have just viewed took 3-4 minutes to load the thumbnails, and there's only three of them.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that I'm also using Firefox (v3.6.3).

Russ

Proven slow areas:

1. Deserts

2. Canada

3. UK

Other than that it works fine :D

OK, ok calm down. :)

Its spring break and the hamsters went to Panama City beach for hamsters gone wild video recordings B)

Seriously, I haven't noticed any slowness but I don't get on the site everyday. When I was on the site yesterday it was fine. Time of day in the USA might cause issues especially on weekends and Mondays(for logging).

I'm getting exactly the same here.

In particular, if I select a cache and attempt to look at the thumbnailed gallery images, these take an age to finally load. For example, the cache I have just viewed took 3-4 minutes to load the thumbnails, and there's only three of them.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that I'm also using Firefox (v3.6.3).

Russ

Domo!!!

Hampsters seems to be in the hospital or garage or something like that.

Got an error message "The Image upload system is currently down for maintainence. Please try again later."

But, then again, it's not just the upload system.

The whole image-related stuff is really slow lately.

~ Dr.MORO

Mac OS X.5.8 + Safari (Latest webkit)

When Waymarking first came out, I ended up not going to the site any more because it just kept bogging down my computer. That is what it reminds me of now. Obviously we wont stop caching, but this is certainly annoying. Please fix, and it would be nice if someone from TPTB would acknowledge this thread please. So I can see that my complaint isnt being ignored.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience guys. We're meeting today to discuss if anything can be done during our image copy to alleviate this issue. Crossposting an explanation from Jenn:

Indeed, starting about March 15, images have been taking an usually long time to load on geocaching.com. This is generally not related to the recent code release.

Our system administrator is currently copying all the images to a new image server, a task which slows down other image-related processes while it copies. When it’s done, we will switch to the new image server and see a dramatic performance improvement. However, as anyone who has ever noticed how many photos get uploaded to caches on a daily basis, you know that there are many, many images. It’s going to take a few more days to finish copying.

I am told that if we continue copying at the current rate, the first copy should finish in mid-April. Then we will run several synchronization tasks which will take a little more time. This sync will put new load on the image server, but should be a little less load than the initial copying task.

We appreciate your patience and feel the same frustration you do.

Please keep uploading pictures when you can: cache pages are so much more interesting when people take the extra time to upload photos of their adventures.