Removing Cache Files From a Garmin

M and M Lovers

I just bought a Garmin Oregon 300. I have figured out how to transfer the geocache files from the website to my GPS. But I have not figured out how to remove the geocache files from the GPS. I thought I read in a review that I had to remove them by using my computer. How do you do that? Thanks.

Assuming the system runs exactly like my Oregon 400t (and everything I've read says the system is the same, just the options are different), then here's what to do (on a PC...I don't use a MAC so can't help you there):

1.Plug in your GPSr to the computer.

2.On the GPSr screen, when the screen comes up to use Mass Storage, select yes.

3.If you have Autoplay set up (the little box that will pop up on your monitor soon after step 2), select the option to "Open folder to view files". If Autoplay isn't set up, go to "My Computer" and open up the drive for your Oregon (it should read "Garmin Oregon" with a small blue triangle symbol).

4.This next part is dependent on what comes up first. I have two folders: Garmin & Wherigo. If you see this option, select Garmin. If not, move to step 5 and see if that matches what you see.

5.Now you should see several folders (like GPX, Profiles, Text) and some files. When you upload field notes, the "geocache_visits" file is what you'll upload to Geocaching.com. Find the GPX folder and open it.

6.Delete any .GPX files you desire to clean out the geocaches from your device. The file names will depend on how you load your GPSr. Mine are based on the database I am using in GSAK. If you downloaded straight from the site, you'll see GC codes. Once you delete what you want, you are free to load some more up.

Hope that helps. That's the process I use.

WOW! All that to remove files?!? One more reason I am still a proud owner of the workhorse of GPS's the 60 CSx!

They must not have heard of BaseCamp. The easy way to download BaseCamp and do it from there, select the ones you want to delete on the device and hit the delete key. Mac or Windows, same-same.

I have an Oregon and it's a very quick process. I just hook it up to the computer and delete the gpx files I no longer want. Takes all of 10 seconds...if that.

I use GSAK's Garmin Colorado/Oregon Export Macro to send caches to my Oregon 550t and the Garmin Colorado/Oregon/Dakota and DeLorme PN-40 Field Note Import and Log macro to upload my field notes to the Web site and clean up the GPX and field notes files on the unit.

The combination of these two macros allows me to completely automate the process of keeping the geocache data on my GPSr up to date. As far as I'm concerned, it makes using the Oregon about as easy as it gets.

--Larry

WOW! All that to remove files?!? One more reason I am still a proud owner of the workhorse of GPS's the 60 CSx!

The written steps may seem long, but it is rather quick. It can be done in about 2-3 minutes. And for uploading field notes...just plug it in and upload a single file to the site. Done in about the same amount of time.

Larry, I use the same macro to load but haven't used the other one. Might check it out. Thanks for that tip.

I have an Oregon and it's a very quick process. I just hook it up to the computer and delete the gpx files I no longer want. Takes all of 10 seconds...if that.

Honestly, I find it far easier to remove/reinstall .gpx file from my Oregon than it is to upload new files to my 60CSx. Either way though, it takes longer to process/receive/download a PQ than it does to update both GPSr. May seem daunting at first, but once you get the process down, it doesn't take much effort to repeat.

They must not have heard of BaseCamp. The easy way to download BaseCamp and do it from there, select the ones you want to delete on the device and hit the delete key. Mac or Windows, same-same.

Can this be done selectively, i.e. all files prior to a given date... Tks....