Rules Question: Event Cache?

Hello,

I am a librarian living in Wisconsin. After telling my boss about geocaching, she got very excited, and our library decided to host a geocaching and letterboxing event. The event would not be commercial or for-profit in any way. We would like to place 6 caches (three regular caches and three letterbox hybirds) around town for the day of the event only.

However, in reviewing the rules, I'm not sure if this will be allowed ("cache permanence" is the rule against temporary caches). Clearly there are "event caches," but are these allowed for one day only?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

The caches would have to be permanently placed. If you said one day only you would definitely not be approved. You would have to be careful about the event. The event would have to be for and about geocaching and no restrictions on who can attend. You would have to have a log book for attendees to sign.

The caches would have to meet all other restrictions such as the .1 mile rule.

Thanks guys! From your posts, the Out&Back sounds better than the one I saw at the store. I have ordered one online, and the product description did indeed say it comes with basic road maps. I can't wait to get it! We'll see about the topo. maps, I'm not sure if I really need them. There aren't any mountains around here, and so I usually just go up, over or through whatever terrain is in the way.

Just to clarify, I shouldn't need to download the 1.1/1.2/1.3 updates, right?

Hello,

I am a librarian living in Wisconsin. After telling my boss about geocaching, she got very excited, and our library decided to host a geocaching and letterboxing event. The event would not be commercial or for-profit in any way. We would like to place 6 caches (three regular caches and three letterbox hybirds) around town for the day of the event only.

However, in reviewing the rules, I'm not sure if this will be allowed ("cache permanence" is the rule against temporary caches). Clearly there are "event caches," but are these allowed for one day only?

Thanks!

I think the "Event Caches" that you're referring to is the listing for the event itself. What's the icon that you see for these "Event Caches"? If it's this: 6.gif then those are the actual event.

Sometimes people create "temp caches" for events that are just not listed on this site (for one reason or another).

I don't think you're going to find any caches with the 2.gif icon that are "temp caches" created just for the event.

Thanks guys! From your posts, the Out&Back sounds better than the one I saw at the store. I have ordered one online, and the product description did indeed say it comes with basic road maps. I can't wait to get it! We'll see about the topo. maps, I'm not sure if I really need them. There aren't any mountains around here, and so I usually just go up, over or through whatever terrain is in the way.

Just to clarify, I shouldn't need to download the 1.1/1.2/1.3 updates, right?

Thats nice - I think you got this on the wrong thread!!!

You can create permanent caches and get them released after the event has ended. This way you will have the cachers attending the event being the first ones to search for the cache.

Simply add a request into the notes when requesting a listing of a new cache to be approved.

I just had an event similar to this with an exception. My event was a 'non-geocacher' event and was closed to a special group participating as part of a leadership retreat (much like what some commercial companies design for corporate retreats, only my event was for a group of college students).

I didn't try to publish it as an event, or publish the caches as the event wasn't open to geocachers (disqualifies it) and the caches were for the day of the event only (permanence).

However I might have some materials that might give you some ideas for how to create 'cache pages' that can be used for your event. I created a booklet that had cache names, descriptions, coords, difficulty, size, encrypted clue and a bogus cache number (used to identify the caches waypoints on our GPSr's).

The booklet worked great and added a component of using a regular cache page, but for the event only temporary caches.

PM or send me a message via my profile if you would like to see a sample.

Hello,

Thanks!

I think you might have a slight misunderstanding of what an "event cache" is. It's a social gathering of geocachers. It could be beer and burgers in the local pub, a picnic in the park, brunch at a diner, a group hike, meeting for coffee and donuts; or it could be an elaborate multi day affair like Geowoodstock, GeoJamboree, Champoeg or the Midwest Geobash where hundreds of geocachers converge to meet, talk shop and have a general good time.

Being geocachers, geocaching sometimes occurs at events and some event organizers have been known to hide temporary and/ or permanent caches near the event to give the attendees something to do, but you can't organize an event simply for the purpose of hunting caches.

Edited by briansnat