Is a gps optional?

LostFoxeh

I have a cell phone gps that works well. Maybe too well. Anyways it overlays the spot where the geo cache is and my location on a map making finding the cash super easy. This is mostly because I am finding urban caches, maybe if I was was looking for wilderness caches things would be different. So the point I am making is that it is too easy to find these caches and I don't feel like I am getting as much out of it as a I could be. I really want to start finding these caches with a map and compass only and use my gps in case of emergency. This way I can learn how to use a compass and map very well, so when I go backpacking and in the far future exploring, I know I can at least find my way a little bit with just a map and compass.

Is it possible to geo cache with only maps and compasses. Any suggestions of things I should know or get so I can make this possible.

You can find caches in any way that you want. I took a look at your finds, and the two you've logged are easier hides and small and mediums containers. If you want a challenge and continue to use your GPS, try looking for higher difficulties and/or micros and nanos. Of course some micros become easy after you have found others like it. This of course is just a suggestion. If you prefer, use a map and compass. Others do. I recently read that someone is planning on just looking at the cache listing and deciphering clues.

You can find caches in any way that you want. I took a look at your finds, and the two you've logged are easier hides and small and mediums containers. If you want a challenge and continue to use your GPS, try looking for higher difficulties and/or micros and nanos. Of course some micros become easy after you have found others like it. This of course is just a suggestion. If you prefer, use a map and compass. Others do. I recently read that someone is planning on just looking at the cache listing and deciphering clues.

I recently discovered caching while surfing one day. Its been 1 weeks now and I have found 11 total caches without using a GPS. The way I'm doing it right now until I get a GPS is looking at satellite maps along with using the hints and comments from previous people finding the caches.

I have a cell phone gps that works well. Maybe too well. Anyways it overlays the spot where the geo cache is and my location on a map making finding the cash super easy. This is mostly because I am finding urban caches, maybe if I was was looking for wilderness caches things would be different. So the point I am making is that it is too easy to find these caches and I don't feel like I am getting as much out of it as a I could be. I really want to start finding these caches with a map and compass only and use my gps in case of emergency. This way I can learn how to use a compass and map very well, so when I go backpacking and in the far future exploring, I know I can at least find my way a little bit with just a map and compass.

Is it possible to geo cache with only maps and compasses. Any suggestions of things I should know or get so I can make this possible.

it is very possible i do it for my caches the maps from google work great im not sure about the others you can try to use the scale and pace beads this can be tough because your looking for a needle in a hay stack if you have good clues makes it much easier i also take along the gps to zero in on cach if i cant locate it good luck

Edited by cammengaman

I have a cell phone gps that works well. Maybe too well. Anyways it overlays the spot where the geo cache is and my location on a map making finding the cash super easy. This is mostly because I am finding urban caches, maybe if I was was looking for wilderness caches things would be different. So the point I am making is that it is too easy to find these caches and I don't feel like I am getting as much out of it as a I could be.

Uh, you might want to try finding more that TWO caches before deciding that it's all too easy with your GPS.

I have yet to buy a GPS myself but that doesn't stop me from finding them. I just use the title hint and any comments in the log which is usually enough. I don't attempt ones in the woods, just the urban ones. I'll need a GPS to get me in the vicinity of the ones in the woods. Until then, I just search for the ones I think I have a good chance of finding. So far so good.

I found a cache without a gps or map or compass. It was actually dumb luck because I wasnt looking for one.

I joined after that. Is that a 'find'? :blink:

Yep. I have found a number without a gps. Night caches - found with a flashlight, others that once I got to the area the loacation of the cache was painfully obvious.

If the satellite maps and hints can get you with in 10 feet of the cache then its just as good as using most GPSr. Last night I did an FTF with out aid of my GPSr because I already knew the area and it had a good hint. So the answer to your question yes, but its much harder. However, in some areas the satellite maps can be off as much as a couple of hundred feet, but they can also be spot on.