logging question

Hey all,

I am sorry if this has been discussed to death..

Anyway, I have noticed in multiple posts that people talk about improper logging in the cache log books. One of the main gripes is that people just leave names and dates. Hmm, that is what my kids and I have been doing, as we have been following what others have been doing. We have been, however, logging more detail when we log our visit at Geocaching.com.

Should we be writing more in the logbook caches? I figured that if we did that it would fill the logbooks much more quickly?

(FWIW: We typically have been putting my geocaching username, the kid's first names (as they are not members there) and the date. We try to also indicate what we leave in the cache as of yesterday.)

We are enjoying caching very much and want to be conscious that we are doing things the right way.

On a side note, the swag here in the 10 or so caches we have found in St. Louis has been weak sauce. Yesterday we found paper clips, broken McDonalds toys that were 2 part toys and missing one, hair rubber bands, random rocks (of no interesting value), broken sunglasses, etc. We have been trying to empty all our goodies into the caches we are finding (new as of yesterday). I think that we are going to try to leave 3-4 things in each cache, whether we trade or not, just to boost the content in some of these. I know it's not about the swag, but it is for the kiddos. They are 6 and 8, so while it pains me to say it, they don't always appreciate the hike/view/being outside/whatever. For them it is a treasure hunt more than anything else.

Thanks,

Brendan

How you log is up to you. Some people complain about logs being too short, others complain about rambling logs taking up the cache page.

I enjoy reading longer logs in the field AND on cache pages, but not everybody is a master wordsmith, and not every cache experience is remarkable enough to warrant a long log.

Do what works for you and pay no heed to the criticisms.

Regarding cache logs --

There seems to be a general swing towards saving logbook space, and entering name/date/maybe a short note, but online a more verbose log. It shouldn't be deemed improper, either way.

The criteria is to sign the logbook, and post your experiences online (along with the smiley).

You are going to find some CO's prefer to have the logbook space saved, others will want it otherwise.

Regarding SWAG --

A hot topic since near the beginning of geocaching.

(Unwritten rule #1) Degradation of cache contents is inevitable!

Probably because of society in general. What one person views as an even trade, evokes outrage by others;

some simply don't care, others just don't "get it"; many do not trade SWAG at all (because of rule #1).

Your only hope is to trade SWAG as you would want others to. Perhaps by holding your standards higher you just may (inadvertently) convince others to do the same.

The important thing is that you and your family have fun in the activity. Most cachers outgrow the need to hunt for SWAG, moving up to the next level. That is, enjoy the hunt, the trip/hike, and the discovery. :)

There are nicely loaded/maintained caches out there, you have to find them. It's part of the "hunt".

Now, go forth and have fun. :D

Yep, I could care less about the swag (except the coins are kind of cool, but I never feel I have something equal in trade value, so pass on them by and large). I view it is as more of something to keep the kiddos into it (the younger ones that is). Some of our hikes have stretched into the 4-5 hour range, so keeping them into it with the chance at treasure helps out a lot :)

So we talked about it a little as a family and decided we were going to make it one of our efforts to boost the swag for the other kiddos out there. One particular cache we found contained a "crystal", which my daughter just LOVED. Next time we are at a store that sells geodes/crystals/cool rocks we are going to pick up a bagful to put in caches. I am also going to pick up some coins as well (or try to make some perhaps), just to drop in there.

I also have a box of smurfs from when I was a kid. AFAIK they aren't as popular nowadays, as we rarely see them in stores... but the show is still on and during playdates, the friends that come over love to play with them. We have been leaving those in caches :D.

We also found a broken hand mirror in a cache yesterday, which I was worried would cut someone's finger. We "traded" for it (my daughter wants to try to salvage it by trying to cut it to shape and frame it). If it comes out nice, it will likely go back to the cache we found it.

Hey all,

I am sorry if this has been discussed to death..

Anyway, I have noticed in multiple posts that people talk about improper logging in the cache log books. One of the main gripes is that people just leave names and dates. Hmm, that is what my kids and I have been doing, as we have been following what others have been doing. We have been, however, logging more detail when we log our visit at Geocaching.com.

Should we be writing more in the logbook caches? I figured that if we did that it would fill the logbooks much more quickly?

(FWIW: We typically have been putting my geocaching username, the kid's first names (as they are not members there) and the date. We try to also indicate what we leave in the cache as of yesterday.)

We are enjoying caching very much and want to be conscious that we are doing things the right way.

On a side note, the swag here in the 10 or so caches we have found in St. Louis has been weak sauce. Yesterday we found paper clips, broken McDonalds toys that were 2 part toys and missing one, hair rubber bands, random rocks (of no interesting value), broken sunglasses, etc. We have been trying to empty all our goodies into the caches we are finding (new as of yesterday). I think that we are going to try to leave 3-4 things in each cache, whether we trade or not, just to boost the content in some of these. I know it's not about the swag, but it is for the kiddos. They are 6 and 8, so while it pains me to say it, they don't always appreciate the hike/view/being outside/whatever. For them it is a treasure hunt more than anything else.

If in doubt, err on the side of leaving a comment both in the logbook and online. I'm a cache hider that keeps all of our full logbooks. I like to read the comments both in the logbook and in the online logs. Doesn't need to be much.

Regarding the swag, it's always going to deteriorate. It's nice when the cache owner maintains the box by cleaning the dirt, debris and broken/rusty/ruined swag and garbage out of their caches every few months and putting in a few new pieces of clean swag. But most COs (from what I've read in the forums) feel they've done their part by putting in the first swag items, after that it's up to the caching community. You're doing your part by clearing out the debris and adding good swag. You might want to take your kids to newer cache hides since those will likely be in the best shape they're ever going to be in.

I also have a box of smurfs from when I was a kid. AFAIK they aren't as popular nowadays,

**cough** ..................................................................

I'll have you know we're as popular as ever (well - - - I am anyway)

you just be careful where you put us :):D:(:(

I typically just sign my caching name and date on the physical logs, and (normally) put a longer log online. It always seemed logical to put the information online since it will (theoretically) persist for a lot longer, is searchable, and gets emailed directly to the CO.

I am also a geek at heart and putting info down on paper has become a rare occurrence for me. Data is meant to be in the cloud :)

The one exception to the written logs is if my wife and 5 month old son are with me. They do not have caching names, so I normally sign the logs "[date] debaere with wife and kid"