New caches in old locations?

I have placed a few caches in local parks, park-n-ride lots, etc, and they have had decent traffic over the years. Two were off the beaten track a bit, and the # of finds per month started falling off. These also got somewhat dilapidated, so I removed both of them.

I'm thinking of putting something else in the same general area, but I want to try some sort of mechanical puzzle cache to make it a bit more challenging and hopefully interesting. Are there any guidelines or general consensus on how long to wait, if any, between archiving one cache and placing a new one? How about physical location? Should I put some separation between the old location and the new one?

The two I mentioned above have been archived for months, but I've got one or two others that I might pull out of service if I come up with some good replacements. I don't want to be seen as thinking that I "own" that bit of geocaching territory, but I would like to see something other than just another bison tube on a nail go in there as a replacement. To me, part of the fun is finding something unique, or that makes me think, or that brings me to a place that has something special to offer, like a great view, a historical aspect, etc.

Don't archive a cache because the number of finds drop off. If it's a cool spot then leave it there so new cachers can find it.

Instead, find another cool spot. Put a new cache there and share this new spot with others.

Before you know if, you will be finding lots of cool spots.

We agree with Moose Mob! You are in a wonderfully unique area of central MI. As you apparently respect nice cache placements, why would you want to remove yours and take a chance that one of "lesser quality" takes over that area? Just because of a downturn in activity? We think that like all other things, there is an ebb and flow to the game. Sometimes hits are plentiful, other times sparse. Personally, we would not want to place judgment based solely on a low period.

Now, if we ever dare to cross "da bridge", we just might make it there to hit yours! :)

I have several caches all in the same area. An undeveloped tract of land owned by the county parks department. I am planning on archiving the whole lot of them and starting over. The idea is to create a whole new set of caching experiences Different puzzles, containers, camo and vistas. The new cachers can still be introduced to an area they may not have known about and those who have been there before can find a new cache and enjoy a return visit.

I agree with Moose Mob, but if you feel you must archive the cache and put another in the area for whatever reason, go ahead and do it.

I've done this in in a few instances. I had a puzzle cache that was wildly unpopular. I archived it and resubmitted it as a traditional. I even used the same container, hiding place and logbook (the latter which ticked off the FTF).

Another was a multi that I broke into two individual caches, archived the multi listing and submitted the two new ones. The only change was a larger container to replace the first stage of the multi.

In both cases I submitted both caches immediately after archiving the old ones. There is no need to wait.

If it's your own cache that is archived, I see no reason to wait to place a new one. You might lose "your" spot to a lesser quality cache.

However, it's someone else's cache that is archived and you just been itching to put one there, I'd still wait a while before jumping on the spot. Then again, if it's REALLY a cool spot, then go for it. Just make sure the new cache is "cooler" than the old one!!!