Own Trackables

Waspbuster

Can I create my own trackable and not have to purchase dog tags to attach to it? i.e. can I create my own unique trackable number for it?

There are sites where you can get free tracking numbers. They just won't be tracked on gc.com or be listed on the cache page. Because of this and the extra effort required by finders to log it elsewhere, they don't tend to do too well.

Can I create my own trackable and not have to purchase dog tags to attach to it? i.e. can I create my own unique trackable number for it?

Memberships and trackables are the traditional revenue streams that keep the geocaching website humming along.

The short answer is YES.

You can create any trackable you wish and not purchase anything to attach to it. You may also create your own unique tracking numbers, just as Pathtags did. However, just as BlueDeuce said, those numbers will not be associated with Groundspeak or Geocaching.com in any way, so you will also have to create some sort of website where your trackables can be 'tracked'.

~J

The short answer is YES.

You can create any trackable you wish and not purchase anything to attach to it. You may also create your own unique tracking numbers, just as Pathtags did. However, just as BlueDeuce said, those numbers will not be associated with Groundspeak or Geocaching.com in any way, so you will also have to create some sort of website where your trackables can be 'tracked'.

~J

And if you go that route, if your plan was to sell them, you won't be able to sell them in these forums. Only items that are trackable on geocaching.com are allowed to be sold in these forums.

To the OP if you want a personal Geocoin you can design one or have someone design one for you. It will cost you a good sum to do so. If they are not activated you could sell some to pay for them but up front it will cost you a few thousand dollars to do so. I suppose that is why the West bend chamber of commerce went with pathtags but nothing may have been better.

Edited by Matt_B_Good

Tekkguy. If you ever happen to see this I want to thank you for showing me that we can put people on ignore. It took awhile but I found it. There is one particular poster I put on ignore. Not that I have anything in particular against him he just annoys me because he doesn't know when to shut up. Thanks again for showing me that.

Edited by Matt_B_Good

You guys are so off topic, that I feel I must say something about it.

We try to show each other respect in these forums. I have no idea why this was brought up, but what a way throw a thread totally off topic.

To the OP, at the top of the geocoin forums is a thread called "Groundspeak's Current Coin Tracking Policy". That's the one you want to read. Since trackables are not all geocoins, it applies to other trackable items too.

We try to show each other respect in these forums. I have no idea why this was brought up, but what a way throw a thread totally off topic.

To the OP, at the top of the geocoin forums is a thread called "Groundspeak's Current Coin Tracking Policy". That's the one you want to read. Since trackables are not all geocoins, it applies to other trackable items too.

Many thanks Eartha,

I was a little bit disappointed when this "argument" started. Ruud4d did answer my question earlier, that I could buy 50 trackable numbers from Groundspeak. If I decide to go all out on placing trackable items, doing it that way will save a lot of money. 50 numbers @ $1.50 each = $75 at todays rates that's £49.95. In UK 5 Dog tags = £19.95.

Do the Math, in the economic climate at the moment every pound / dollar saved is a bonus. As this is a good healthy hobby then it is worthwhile pursuing.

Many thanks Eartha,

I was a little bit disappointed when this "argument" started. Ruud4d did answer my question earlier, that I could buy 50 trackable numbers from Groundspeak. If I decide to go all out on placing trackable items, doing it that way will save a lot of money. 50 numbers @ $1.50 each = $75 at todays rates that's £49.95. In UK 5 Dog tags = £19.95.

Do the Math, in the economic climate at the moment every pound / dollar saved is a bonus. As this is a good healthy hobby then it is worthwhile pursuing.

I wouldn't say there was an argument. I was stating my opinion of a non Groundspeak trackable based off a comment from another user. I have since edited my comments not to include them just so it doesn't turn into a thread about that. I apologize for posting my comments not for the comments themselves but for posting them on this thread because it was off topic.

Anyway about those numbers. That is just the numbers that cost $1.50 each. You still need someone to make your trackable. If you can do it yourself that is wonderful if not you will need someone to design it a company to make it and Groundspeak has to approve it. That part shouldn't be too difficult I get the idea they just want it to be G rated and not violating any copyright laws. They wouldn't want a disney character on it for example unless Disney gave its written consent and if they did I'm sure Disney would want a good cut too. I wish you well with this and hey maybe I will come across one of yours someday.