Underwater Geocache Container?

Hey all, I was planning on making a geocache attached to a pillar at the furthest end of a pier near me. This would only be accessible when the tide is out enough, or if you happen to have diving gear.

Originally, I was going to just attached a bison tube to it with some fishing line but I don't think this will hold up too well? Does anyone have any suggestions for containers that are micro, but will keep the log dry and can be easily attached to one of the pillars?

The older 35 MM film cans held up well ( top really hard to get off ). For years I kept one submerged under a rock with no problem.......as an added measure put a bison W/ good o-ring inside one of the above 35 mm cans.

In all small and regular caches I put out I put the logs in 35 mm cans.......in south louisiana its hard to keep them dry.

I noticed that older 35MM film cans have a tight seal, but the newer ones don't. I came into a few old ones and noticed that the lids were extremely tight and waterproof. I'm not sure when they changed but most of the ones available now won't stand up to rain, let alone being submerged.

A soda bottle preform should work fairly well. If you put a bison cylinder inside a preform that should do the trick. The only issue would be how you would secure the preform.

You can avoid waterproofing issues altogether by using a net diver's bag and waterproof logbook like those from http://www.riteintherain.com/Categories.as...91-c71d509de32f

Pour cement into a one-quart paint can and set an eye bolt in the top.

Sink the can wherever you want the cache and use a caribiner attached to the net bag so that it can be detached easily from the eye bolt.

This works great for free diving or hanging on a rope from bridge or pier since most have ropes and lines hanging off of them anyway, making it look right at home.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

This is what I like about coming here. Great new ideas.

I like the ball valve setup. Now I have a question! Lets say you dont want to anchor it to an external weight....but rather put a weighted material inside then suspend just below water level from a pylon etc....what would be best used, for in salt water that freezes in winter, that will last the longest with minimal deterioration?