Why do they break your goal?

Matt_B_Good

Groundspeak really has to do a better job of educating people about trackables they get treated as trade items WAY too often. That is still better than them vanishing all together because there is a chance they will go back out.

Well. let's just see. Groundspeak has this page, right on the home site, there's a link to it, and then it has all the links to take you from Travel Bug to Geocoin.

Then, if you missed that and came to the forums to find out, we have this post, and it's posted in the Travel Bug and the Geocoin forums, where one might go to look.

But if you missed that there is this thread, where you can read answers and post questions.

And for good measure, there is a whole big Knowledge Book section dedicated to trackables.

Also, Groundspeak has sent out trackable information in the weekly newsletter, off and on, that all cachers get in their email.

Do you want Groundspeak to take out billboards on all the major highways, and ads in the local papers? People need to read the information provided for them. You can lead a cacher to the information, but you can't make him read it. It's up to the cacher to educate themselves, and and it's up to us, as geocachers, to educate others.

Alright, they do more than I even noticed. I applaud those efforts. However when a basic description of geocaching is given like in the little youtube video now on the homepage trade items are mentioned but trackables are not. This might lead some to believe all items in a geocache are trade items. This is not so. Would I like to see billboards mentioning it? No, because it would be a high cost and not effective. Billboards with any more than 7 words and if they don't read the web site info they wont read the paper either. However mentioning them whenever it is appropriate would be a good idea. I do appreciate the efforts Groundspeak has put forth but feel they could do more.

I loved the idea behind this thread pointing to the absurd places TBs/GCs go when they are trying to reach a goal. However travelers don't get to choose who they get picked up by or direct their rides on where to go next. Nor can their owners. The fun is in the wacky ways they try to get there. So sit back and enjoy the ride.

Looking for a better way to get people to do what you want? Advertisers, politicians and lobbyists have been spending gobs of money trying to figure that one out so good luck in your search. :smile::)

Groundspeak really has to do a better job of educating people about trackables they get treated as trade items WAY too often. That is still better than them vanishing all together because there is a chance they will go back out.

Well. let's just see. Groundspeak has this page, right on the home site, there's a link to it, and then it has all the links to take you from Travel Bug to Geocoin.

Then, if you missed that and came to the forums to find out, we have this post, and it's posted in the Travel Bug and the Geocoin forums, where one might go to look.

But if you missed that there is this thread, where you can read answers and post questions.

And for good measure, there is a whole big Knowledge Book section dedicated to trackables.

Also, Groundspeak has sent out trackable information in the weekly newsletter, off and on, that all cachers get in their email.

Do you want Groundspeak to take out billboards on all the major highways, and ads in the local papers? People need to read the information provided for them. You can lead a cacher to the information, but you can't make him read it. It's up to the cacher to educate themselves, and and it's up to us, as geocachers, to educate others.

Alright, they do more than I even noticed. I applaud those efforts. However when a basic description of geocaching is given like in the little youtube video now on the homepage trade items are mentioned but trackables are not. This might lead some to believe all items in a geocache are trade items. This is not so. Would I like to see billboards mentioning it? No, because it would be a high cost and not effective. Billboards with any more than 7 words and if they don't read the web site info they wont read the paper either. However mentioning them whenever it is appropriate would be a good idea. I do appreciate the efforts Groundspeak has put forth but feel they could do more.

I wish they would put billboards up in the woods.... "Attention Geocacher: You are walking in the wrong direction..... p.s. trackable items are not trade items."

That little video is 1:52 long. I can't even begin to describe trackables in 1:52 minutes, let alone geocaching. You'll find the information in the video at the end where he says "and more helpful tips!".

I disagree. A brief mention about them and where to go for further information would have worked. After it mentions the trade items it should state: "Geocaches also can contain items not intended to be traded like Travel bugs, geocoins and disposable cameras that have a special purpose for details visit geocaching.com and search the links.

I'm not saying a vivid description has to be made just enough to make new ones aware. Then again no matter what, there will always be some who do as they like anyway.

Edited by Matt_B_Good

Having read the coins goal, it might be a good idea to include some wording to the fact that you don't care about mileage. Most cachers who move trackables do so with the assumption that owners want their bugs to move and aquire mileage...if you don't care about that aspect, it should be noted in the goal.

Having read the coins goal, it might be a good idea to include some wording to the fact that you don't care about mileage. Most cachers who move trackables do so with the assumption that owners want their bugs to move and aquire mileage...if you don't care about that aspect, it should be noted in the goal.

Good idea. i will add that.

That little video is 1:52 long. I can't even begin to describe trackables in 1:52 minutes, let alone geocaching. You'll find the information in the video at the end where he says "and more helpful tips!".

I disagree. A brief mention about them and where to go for further information would have worked. After it mentions the trade items it should state: "Geocaches also can contain items not intended to be traded like Travel bugs, geocoins and disposable cameras that have a special purpose for details visit geocaching.com and search the links.

I'm not saying a vivid description has to be made just enough to make new ones aware. Then again no matter what, there will always be some who do as they like anyway.

Perhaps so, but that little video was probably made by a geocacher, and submitted to Groundspeak, who then thought it would be a nice addition on the home page. It's up to us as geocachers to teach our newbies well. this can be done at events, and through polite emails, if someone appears in need of help. I really do think Groundspeak is doing all it can to educate people about geocaching and all aspects of the game. Like I said, you can lead a horse (cacher) to water (the webiste), but you can't make him drink (read).

There are hundreds of geocacher-made videos on youtube, too.

Perhaps so, but that little video was probably made by a geocacher, and submitted to Groundspeak, who then thought it would be a nice addition on the home page. It's up to us as geocachers to teach our newbies well. this can be done at events, and through polite emails, if someone appears in need of help. I really do think Groundspeak is doing all it can to educate people about geocaching and all aspects of the game. Like I said, you can lead a horse (cacher) to water (the webiste), but you can't make him drink (read).

There are hundreds of geocacher-made videos on youtube, too.

I would agree with you for the most part but I remember when I first started it took me some time to see any info on the proper edict for TB and geocoins and I had some knowledge of them and believe me I looked. Then pathtags get thrown in there and that confused me for a day or two. They are not the same as TB's and Geocoins. Geocaching.com is not the easiest site to navigate therefore information is not always as easy to find for a new person as you might think . After you get used to it then it is fine but it is something to get used to. Yes, I agree that most of the problem is with the users not looking over the info not Groundspeak but I don't feel it is 100% the users either. Thanks for your insight, it gave me something to think about. I'm getting sick of the subject now but thank you.

I just put a post up about my sons geocoin that is MIA. His goal was pretty simple; to be found in some micro's so micro's wouldn't be so boring. I can't help thinking that if the first person who picked it up would have put it in a micro, it wouldn't be lost right now.

When you log a coin/TB, doesn't it bring up the info page? I can't remember if it does that automatically. I always look up the trackable I find because I'm curious if there's a story behind it.

I just put a post up about my sons geocoin that is MIA. His goal was pretty simple; to be found in some micro's so micro's wouldn't be so boring. I can't help thinking that if the first person who picked it up would have put it in a micro, it wouldn't be lost right now.

When you log a coin/TB, doesn't it bring up the info page? I can't remember if it does that automatically. I always look up the trackable I find because I'm curious if there's a story behind it.

It brings up the page but that's no guarantee that people will read it. I hope it pops back up soon!

It brings up the page but that's no guarantee that people will read it. I hope it pops back up soon!

Yes that is true. every once in a while even in extremely secure caches people will treat a geocoin or TB as a trade item and not log it at all. this is especially true of new cachers. I found an unexpected travel bug in a cache near me recently. the thing is listed as being in Arizona. it is in Wisconsin. That sucks I know but it happens. Some MIA travels do wind up appearing again even years after they went missing so there is always hope.

Yes that is true. every once in a while even in extremely secure caches people will treat a geocoin or TB as a trade item and not log it at all. this is especially true of new cachers. I found an unexpected travel bug in a cache near me recently. the thing is listed as being in Arizona. it is in Wisconsin. That sucks I know but it happens. Some MIA travels do wind up appearing again even years after they went missing so there is always hope.

Just do your part to get the little guy back in the system. Grab it from where ever it currently is, dip (drop and then retrieve) it in the cache you found it in, and then drop it into another cache soon.

This will generate mail to its owner letting them know it is alive and well, and will get it back to being logged into the correct locations.

I would say that most everyone is happy to see their coin alive and logged properly, whether or not it is truly following its goal or even if it is off on its own little adventure.