Atributes for newly published caches

t4e

recently i have noticed a lot of newly published caches that have no attributes whatsoever

i know there has been talk about some sort of bug where people could not see the attributes on older caches, not sure if that was really the case though

i personally think that choosing attributes should mandatory, on most caches is important information that can transpire from the attributes, also the caches with no attributes pretty much renders useless the capability to filter a PQ by Attributes to Include/Exclude

Mandatory attributes - I don't really see that happening (unfortunately). The only way I'd like it to be mandatory is if they do away with the 10 attribute limitation and make each attribute a selection of "yes/no" (which is how I believe it should have been done to begin with).

A cache with no attributes doesn't muddy the water any more than a cache that is limited to the number of attributes that can be selected. I could easily set up a cache with this as possible information:

• Available at all times - Yes
  • Recommended for kids - Yes
  • Takes less than an hour - Yes
  • Scenic view - Yes
  • Available during winter - Yes
  • Parking available - Yes
  • Public restrooms nearby - Yes
  • Wheelchair accessible - Yes
  • Stroller accessible - Yes
  • Bicycles - Yes

But that would leave me no room to display that fact that Dogs Allowed attribute should be 'No'. So I'm left determining which are the most important attributes to let people know about. If a dog lover excludes caches with a "Dogs Allowed = No", they'd still have my fictitious cache as a possibility.

Let's say I decide to include the "Dogs Allowed = No" as an attribute, but now I have to drop one. I could easily determine that "Stroller accessible=Yes" is close enough to "Wheelchair Accessible=Yes" - so I'll leave the wheelchair and drop the stroller in favor of the Dogs=No. Now another cacher comes by with an attribute-based query specifically looking for "Stroller Accessible=Yes". Mine's excluded from the results.

So, I think the only way to FORCE people to use attributes is to make ALL of them a true answer of "Yes/No".

Meanwhile as a cacher in the current system, the best we can do is assume that if the cache doesn't have an exclusion, it has an inclusion. In other words, when I cache with my dog, I EXCLUDE "Dog Friendly=No" rather that INCLUDE "Dog Friendly=Yes". That way I'm making sure that I'm weeding out ones where people have thought it important enough to tell me that there aren't any dogs allowed. Same thing could be done with each attribute.

What if there was simply a requirement for the minimum number of attributes? IOW, you must select at least 2 attributes. It doesn't matter what they are, just that there's something.

It might get people thinking more about using them in general; you'd probably find people using a lot more than the 2 that are required.

Allowing for more attributes on each cache would probably help too.

What if there was simply a requirement for the minimum number of attributes? IOW, you must select at least 2 attributes. It doesn't matter what they are, just that there's something.

It might get people thinking more about using them in general; you'd probably find people using a lot more than the 2 that are required.

Allowing for more attributes on each cache would probably help too.

Look for a lot of scuba caches with winter attributes in Arizona if their made mandatory.

With so few even paying attention to them, can't see it happening and wouldn't want it mandatory anyway.

I just wrote up a couple of caches. I found myself wishing I could set NO Hunting. It's rare in this area, all the surrounding property has hunting. It makes this property unique in the area for the winter months, it will always be available - no guns, no dog packs running hogs.

But that's not an option.

I like the Yes/No idea

Mandatory attributes - I don't really see that happening (unfortunately). The only way I'd like it to be mandatory is if they do away with the 10 attribute limitation and make each attribute a selection of "yes/no" (which is how I believe it should have been done to begin with).

A cache with no attributes doesn't muddy the water any more than a cache that is limited to the number of attributes that can be selected.

Meanwhile as a cacher in the current system, the best we can do is assume that if the cache doesn't have an exclusion, it has an inclusion. In other words, when I cache with my dog, I EXCLUDE "Dog Friendly=No" rather that INCLUDE "Dog Friendly=Yes". That way I'm making sure that I'm weeding out ones where people have thought it important enough to tell me that there aren't any dogs allowed. Same thing could be done with each attribute.

well some of the attributes are not necessary tbh...if its a terrain one it implicitly means is wheelchair accessible

but i still think that no attributes "muddy the water" quite a bit...of course if people use them just for the sake of using them, they can be useless

however properly used attributes can convey important information and allow one to decide if they want to attempt it or not

tbh, not having any attributes is just sloppy on the part of the CO, more so when the description of the cache doesn't tell much either

i don't get it how can you weed out anything in a PQ if a cache has no attributes at all?